Author Topic: Age requirements for organizing group buys, classifieds, and vendor status  (Read 5361 times)

Offline awhitedev

Edit: I decided to remove my post. This was clearly not well received and I don't want this to turn into a flaming war. I'm not trying to publicly shame anyone here and I don't want people thinking more into this than what it is. I was only making a suggestion to help for future buys and to mitigate any issues going forward.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 August 2015, 14:21:01 by awhitedev »

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
Hoff mentioned some more verification has been coming in to the groupbuy process. But is there an epidemic of 16 year old GB leaders running off with money?

Offline jd29

Is this something that happens often?

I can see it for group buys, but cut them out of classified and you're eliminating a valuable part of the market I think. Selling a few personal items isn't really a huge responsibility that requires a lot of maturity. I was selling stuff of eBay wheb I was fourteen or fifteen.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
I've been a part of a group buy done by someone I know is under 18.  He's done good so far.

Also, maybe no one over the age of 75 should host a group buy?

Also no one with a history of health problems. That's gotten a few group buys off the rails in the past. Or a spouse with health problems
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Findecanor

Vendor status: Absolutely yes. All members with vendor status must be official representatives of real companies that are legally registered in the member's country of residence. I find it very unlikely that minors would be able to have such a legal status anywhere.

Host group buys: I'm inclined to say yes. The person doing the group buy must be legally responsible if something goes wrong.

Member-to-member: Absolutely not.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
I know some people who were more reliable, responsible, communicative, and organized at 15 than some folks 2, 3, or 4 times their age. I was selling refurbished Power Macintosh computers to low income families before I turned 16.

Don't be ageist for no reason. If someone is good, you'll know.

Offline awhitedev

Edit: Removed (see OP)
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 August 2015, 14:19:07 by awhitedev »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
How many GBs run by under 18s have failed?
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline awhitedev

Edit: Removed
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 August 2015, 14:18:33 by awhitedev »

Offline awhitedev

I was only trying to add some constructive criticisms here. I'm sure there are several mature and responsible teenagers on this forum who are fine. If my opinion is an unpopular one I'll just shut up :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Age requirements for organizing group buys, classifieds, and vendor status
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 13:36:30 »
I do believe you have to be 18 to have your own PayPal account but that doesn't ever stop people from using there moms account.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 13:47:52 »
A decade and a half ago, you could get away with not accepting Paypal on eBay. People paid by postal money order, or occasionally, personal check. Fun times.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 13:49:16 »
A decade and a half ago, you could get away with not accepting Paypal on eBay. People paid by postal money order, or occasionally, personal check. Fun times.

The dark ages of the internet.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 14:30:42 »

Ha. I remember the days of waiting for a check to clear the bank account before shipping. Good times.

I think PayPal does require you to be 18 to get a full account. They have student accounts for people over age 13, but I'm not sure what all a student account lets you do. How many people under 18 have even tried to host a group buy?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 15:06:45 »

How many people under 18 have even tried to host a group buy?

There are many enterprising youngsters here.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 15:52:52 »
I think this is primarily a question of legalities, not maturity.

I have seen group buys go south on other forums: the guy running off with all the money. I don't want to be in the situation where that happens and I would have limited ways to legally get what's my due because the organiser was a minor.

Yeah, in the US. Back in the day before PayPal when I wanted to buy something from the US (or anywhere else not Sweden), I had to either pay $30 for a bank transfer (which was often more than the item cost itself) or walk to the Foreign Exchange office to get cash .. which would only be available in bills, and send them in an envelope wrapped up so that you can't tell from the outside that it contained cash.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 August 2015, 15:56:43 by Findecanor »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 21:17:10 »
I missed the original post and some followup comments, but I can guess at least part of it.

I am participating in a GB at the moment run by someone who is under age.  So far so good - excellent communication and response, regular updates, and quick responses to queries.  So far no complaints.

OTOH I have participated in GBs run by older persons which have been drawn out and severely lacked communication (for various reasons, some quite valid).

What about underage or new members need an established member or a mod as a mentor during the GB?

Not necessarily a guarantor, should things to arse over tits, but just someone responsible who can help or simply guide the GB organiser if things start to get too much for them, or unexpected situations arise for which there is not necessarily a precedent.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 21:59:31 »
I can understand. There are legality issues when it comes with dealing with minors hosting things. Maturity is a factor, but I believe legalities can be a hassle.

There's a guy, as mentioned, running a GB who I know is underage, but, honestly, with the way he carries himself, I had no idea he was. I thought he was at least double his age until he told me.

Can't say that for all underage members.