Author Topic: USB 3.0 Switch between multiple computers  (Read 8052 times)

Offline shadowku

USB 3.0 Switch between multiple computers
« on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 11:23:41 »
I have the age old peripheral problem where I have a Mac and Windows machine that I toggle through. I had a pretty reliable KVM that allowed me to switch the inputs from one to the other but that stopped working once I upgraded my display to a 1440P IPS display (not 4K yet.. maybe one day).

Now I'm getting pretty frustrated with the options of USB switches that I can find. The plugable seems to work, and it's not hard-wired to USB-A (for future proofing) which is nice, but it's not really the form factor I want.

Ideally, I want a on-off-on switch, in a larger box that can sit on my desk, and also hold some wires since I anticipate that some of my future keyboards will be USB-C. I also anticipate upgrading my Mac eventually which will also have USB-C.

I'm considering doing something like this, with a 4 dpdt switch, which seems to be ideal right now.

What are other people doing for sharing peripherals?

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: USB 3.0 Switch between multiple computers
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 15:48:52 »
if you already have the converter,  you can just buy an adapter for it later.

You're looking for 4pole double throw

even if you make a 4pdt now  you'll have to splice it later on with another adapter depending on where usb goes, so it's not a permanent solution either.

the only benefit to the diy route, is you can use THICK cables..  but since this is USB,  it's not going to go that far no matter how thick the cables.

Offline shadowku

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 16:00:48 »

even if you make a 4pdt now  you'll have to splice it later on with another adapter depending on where usb goes, so it's not a permanent solution either.

the only benefit to the diy route, is you can use THICK cables..  but since this is USB,  it's not going to go that far no matter how thick the cables.

I don't have any of the pieces yet, but I was going to start looking for a 4pdt online somewhere.
What do you mean that I'll have to splice it with another adapter? You mean if I want to change the outputs?
I was considering to maybe just keep the output as USB-A females and that should give me enough flexibility.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 16:12:37 »

I don't have any of the pieces yet, but I was going to start looking for a 4pdt online somewhere.
What do you mean that I'll have to splice it with another adapter? You mean if I want to change the outputs?
I was considering to maybe just keep the output as USB-A females and that should give me enough flexibility.

they seem to come up with stuff every year to fk with us.. usb , usb mini, usb micro, usb c..

who knows what's going to happen.

So you might as well just stick with what you got now, and just buy adapters later, instead of messing around..

A 4pdt won't be much better than the switch you have now,  because the connector junction is still a thin copper trace connection..

So, with diy you get good junction from the switch to the port,  but then from PORT to the keyboard side connector,  it's pretty much the same tiny traces..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 17:06:51 »
The 4pdt will only handle USB 2.0 and hopefully without crosstalk.

As for futureproofing, that won't happen. I don't agree with Tp regarding not knowing what will happen, USB-C will be around for a while, but things for it are still too expensive for what it is and one way or another you will need adapters since even if you did USB-C, I assume most or all of your stuff is all older style USB. One way or another you will need adapters.

If it was me, I would get the Pluggable and rip it apart. Desolder the two buttons and place extension wires on them, then put the box under the desk out of sight and build a new box to sit on my desk and put some nice switches in it to activate the Pluggable.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 19:34:04 »
Are they on the same network? Less than perfect video performance OK on one?

I'd just remote in to one. Run all the keyboard & video over your LAN. (VNC) Solved with free software instead of new hardware.

Cheers!
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline shadowku

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 08:43:39 »
So you might as well just stick with what you got now, and just buy adapters later, instead of messing around..

My KVM is a bit too clunky for what it is now because the cables are hard-wired. Also it can only handle peripherals because it handle my display. I don't have the pluggable yet, but I'm still considering it.

The 4pdt will only handle USB 2.0 and hopefully without crosstalk.

As for futureproofing, that won't happen. I don't agree with Tp regarding not knowing what will happen, USB-C will be around for a while, but things for it are still too expensive for what it is and one way or another you will need adapters since even if you did USB-C, I assume most or all of your stuff is all older style USB. One way or another you will need adapters.

If it was me, I would get the Pluggable and rip it apart. Desolder the two buttons and place extension wires on them, then put the box under the desk out of sight and build a new box to sit on my desk and put some nice switches in it to activate the Pluggable.

Yeah, I don't see USB-C getting replaced for a while, and even when USB-C becomes more widely adopted, USB-A will always be around for old peripherals.
I'm a bit disappointed that 4pdt will only handle USB 2.0 but since I'm only using the switch for input, it probably doesn't matter.

I'm still considering the pluggable, but I'd like to know how it works. Maybe I can find a video about something ripping it apart. Your idea about ripping it apart is intriguing. I'm considering using this from Ikea.

The one thing I'm worried about with the pluggable, and also with the 4pdt switch, is will it retain information about the peripherals plugged in? As in, will my Mac and PC individually know that it's a G503 mouse instead of a generic "USB Mouse" like with what happens with most KVMs?

Are they on the same network? Less than perfect video performance OK on one?

I'd just remote in to one. Run all the keyboard & video over your LAN. (VNC) Solved with free software instead of new hardware.

Cheers!

That's not quite the best option for me as my PC is used for gaming, and my Mac is used for coding, neither of which I would want to remote into for.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 19:40:27 »
The one thing I'm worried about with the pluggable, and also with the 4pdt switch, is will it retain information about the peripherals plugged in? As in, will my Mac and PC individually know that it's a G503 mouse instead of a generic "USB Mouse" like with what happens with most KVMs?
That I don't know.
My experience with KVM's is limited (though more than most people) and my thoughts on them are that they are always too dang expensive, always behind on tech and offer only basic functionality. Which makes sense, they are meant for server use, where you just need a basic mouse/keyboard and you value stability over new and trendy and aren't going to buy many of them.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion