Author Topic: Lowercase cherry keycaps?  (Read 6540 times)

Offline deathcakes

Lowercase cherry keycaps?
« on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 08:40:38 »
Was wondering if this was a thing or not - having seen the printing on chromebooks, it occurred that this makes a hell of a lot more sense. Always going to be lowercase unless I shift them, so why does my keyboard look like its shouting?

If anyone knows of a place to do this that would be awesome - considering getting somewhere to print me out a bunch of custom caps, but that will probably run me up a healthy bill...

Apologies if this has been answered before, a quick couple of searches didn't show up much.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Lowercase cherry keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 09:00:14 »
YOU DON'T TYPE LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?

But seriously, I don't think so. Maybe an interest check could be started for them? I think lysol was working on creating lowercase Cherry font. That could be nice on caps.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 09:02:36 »
Also, it wouldn't be cheap. Each legend would have to be created, which is a $45 (if it is still that) fee per legend. It might be cheaper to go dyesub through imsto for something like this.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 09:10:22 »
Yeah one of the different things I was going to put up for voting for next round. Probably not Cherry font though, doesn't look right to me, something more sleek/modern perhaps.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 09:12:06 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 09:46:02 »
tbh, I'd really love the cherry style DS caps with italic letters... so when I make sarcastic posts everyone will know I'm being sarcastic

Offline deathcakes

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 11:00:09 »
Yeah I figured it would be a pretty expensive endeavour. Would be interesting to know why keyboards have caps on them by default though, maybe to do with readability?

As for font, I might have to do some digging, hadn't even thought that far ahead yet!

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 14:33:29 »
lower case comic sans. lets do this **** cause **** it right? anarchy!
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 14:37:37 »
lower case comic sans. lets do this **** cause **** it right? anarchy!

backlit & blinking

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 15:05:09 »
I have WASD keys and all text is lower case, could always trade possibly ;)
19118-0
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 16:27:42 »
(Attachment Link)

Oh, now THAT'S nice!

Was that a custom font order, or one of the selections from their keyboard customizer?

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 17:33:17 »
(Attachment Link)

Oh, now THAT'S nice!

Was that a custom font order, or one of the selections from their keyboard customizer?

custom from about a year and a half ago :). I cannot remember the font off the top of my head, Let me see if I still have my layout, if so I will glady upload it here for you if you would like :)
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline deathcakes

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 16:25:09 »
Loving the lowercase, where did you get it done? Would offer a trade but first, I got nothing, and second, man that font - no offense intended, to each their own, but serifs? Can't be having with them.

Did you get it custom?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:03:04 »
You could get some custom-made at WASD, but it might cost a bit for a full set.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/printed-keycap.html
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Lowercase cherry keycaps?
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:08:29 »
You could get some custom-made at WASD, but it might cost a bit for a full set.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/printed-keycap.html
I believe he charges $40 to $50 for a full set, IIRC.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:29:31 »
The full set does not seem to include the option for lowercase legends (unless I missed something, which is possible after only one coffee).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 20:41:52 »
The full set does not seem to include the option for lowercase legends (unless I missed something, which is possible after only one coffee).
Use the custom keyboard maker and select caps only.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Lowercase cherry keycaps?
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:23:01 »
Use the custom keyboard maker and select caps only.
They also have a template somewhere where you can download the Illustrator file to edit.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:31:12 »
Lower case AND Comic Sans font... Group buy, everyone?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 09:17:25 »
Still working on making up something for next dyesub buy. It is hard to narrow down font when you have 22,000 choices available. :))