Author Topic: Recommend decent home theater audio equipment  (Read 1273 times)

Offline nuclearsandwich

Recommend decent home theater audio equipment
« on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 02:55:46 »
I have a giant ass-tv and a ton of groovy games consoles. We also watch a fair amount of films. One thing I've never had due to lack of knowledge as much as lack of funds is an audio setup better than the TV's builtin speakers. Back when I had a giant tube-based Magnavox that could crush the Wicked Witch of the East with big old speakers built into it that was really no big deal but now with this new fangled flat screen the sound quality leaves me wanting.

I have four to six 3 foot speakers from the 80s that I can use but I'm not averse to supplementing or replacing them with modern equipment if there's a valid reason for doing so.

What's a good recommendation for a digital audio sound system? Any recommended first reads? Should I look for something that will pick up HDMI audio since it's already digital or is there much to be gained by setting up separate digital audio outputs where possible? Ideally I'd like to fiddle with as little as possible when changing which device drives the screen but someday I'll have a robot that does it all for me so that is lower on the list of priorities.