Author Topic: Apple desktop Bus keyboard with orange Alps sliders  (Read 3584 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Apple desktop Bus keyboard with orange Alps sliders
« on: Tue, 13 November 2007, 15:56:52 »
I just got this in the mail today, and the switches are nice, but one is dead. I bought off this guy and it took him since June to ship it, and I finally get in my hands and the switches are great - a little on the springy sounding side, but this keyboard ha one greivious problem - the f key is dead. Other than that, the thing is great. But with a dead f key, my favorite word becomes uck, which seems to lack some prowess.

I'm going to have to contact Alps and see if I can get a switch for it. My buddy can swap them out for me, so I could use this ...

The thing gives nearly the same spring sound as the Model M, and has a lighter touch than the SMK 85, and is all around a good feeling keyboard, but the much newer SMK 85 is a superiour keyboard. These keys need to pressed a lot more deliberately to register, but I do like it.

This f key, though I could fix it witht eh MacBook keyboard, just cripples me, so for now, it's going in the closet.

Alps sliders  I have:

2 blacks, one new one old
One pink
and now one orange.

I guess I have to buy the SMK 85 with whites to fill out my tactile Alps switch collection.

Later.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 November 2007, 16:10:59 »
Since I have never used the "clear" key, I don't even know what it does, I guess I could just swap that switch with the f and be good to go.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 November 2007, 16:25:13 »
Quote from: xsphat
Since I have never used the "clear" key, I don't even know what it does, I guess I could just swap that switch with the f and be good to go.

Sounds like a plan.

BTW, have you (or anyone else, for that matter) called DSI recently to find out what they have left regarding old SMK-85 and -88 stock?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 November 2007, 16:37:11 »
I emailed Kal a couple weeks ago and aske specifically about blue Cherry switches, not the SMK keyboards. Why? You know something we don't?