Author Topic: [IC] GMK Psychosis | Massive updates!  (Read 27186 times)

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
Re: [IC] GMK Psychosis
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 13:41:28 »
Nice to see you reached out to the other designers regarding any potential clashes. It'd be worth speaking to Tyson behind GMK Ashes as this is closer to that set than anything else.

Nice to see the Santa Cruz Skateboards logo pop up in the novelties too...not sure if you'd get away with that one.

Show Image

Hmmmmm...Interesting
The logo you mentioned above is...the most creative and original design I have ever seen on the internet

Show Image

Show Image

Best way to prove that something isn't a rip off is to show other commercial uses that it also could be ripping off? Interesting.

Are you seriously ganna take some common elements from popular culture and emphasis its “Uniqueness” ?

Offline G14D

• Ars gratia arits
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 13:44:04 »
Nice to see you reached out to the other designers regarding any potential clashes. It'd be worth speaking to Tyson behind GMK Ashes as this is closer to that set than anything else.

Nice to see the Santa Cruz Skateboards logo pop up in the novelties too...not sure if you'd get away with that one.

Show Image

Hmmmmm...Interesting
The logo you mentioned above is...the most creative and original design I have ever seen on the internet

Show Image

Show Image

Best way to prove that something isn't a rip off is to show other commercial uses that it also could be ripping off? Interesting.

Basically what you are saying is that if I draw a triangle, you draw another one, and your triangle must be ripping mine off
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 May 2021, 13:52:05 by G14D »

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 14:49:06 »

Show Image

Hmmmmm...Interesting

Show Image

Show Image

The Santa Cruz logo pre-dates what you posted, but yes similar art has been used across many genre's.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 18:03:36 »

Show Image

Hmmmmm...Interesting

Show Image

Show Image

Basically what you are saying is that if I draw a triangle, you draw another one, and your triangle must be ripping mine off

Not what I'm saying at all... but not worth further conversation. Enjoy.

Offline fifty4hun

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 21:19:10 »
When they put mod spacebars in the base kit, and no option for alpha colored (6.25 & 7) spacebars in the spacebars kit, but hey, you get another mod-colored 6.25 and 7u spacebars in the spacebars kit.
Thank you for your opinion!

Offline fifty4hun

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 21:29:23 »

Show Image

I have communicated with my designer.
The design is based on Van Gough Screaming man which is representing fear and anxious emotion.
The reason why it changed to a hand is we would like to make it disorganized and psychotic. It supposed to include teeth but it's hard to meet the GMK standard so we removed it instead. Moreover, the arm isn't detached because the emotion is connected to our whole body and the action will be reflected based on it. The tongue is longer and more like a demon's tongue, it shows the fear and panic inside a person. You can see the fingers pointed outwards rather than curled like, it is like reaching for help or something more like it's in pain or morphing.

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 08:32:33 »

Show Image

I have communicated with my designer.
The design is based on Van Gough Screaming man which is representing fear and anxious emotion.
The reason why it changed to a hand is we would like to make it disorganized and psychotic. It supposed to include teeth but it's hard to meet the GMK standard so we removed it instead. Moreover, the arm isn't detached because the emotion is connected to our whole body and the action will be reflected based on it. The tongue is longer and more like a demon's tongue, it shows the fear and panic inside a person. You can see the fingers pointed outwards rather than curled like, it is like reaching for help or something more like it's in pain or morphing.

I can't see where The Scream by Van Gogh comes into this at all? they look wildly different. This is a stretch imo.

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 08:54:10 »
I see some glaring issues that would make this set not quite IC ready yet, these include:

- your kit renders are not in cherry profile. You should know this if you did your own renders. If you hired someone, probably shouldn't have if they didn't even know to flip a switch in krk.
- You have no board renders at all
- Your color matching looks off, especially for cp white.
- some have already pointed out that your novelties look very similar to some other art
- the colors don't fit the theme the best (imo) but I don't study that or anything so just an outsider's opinion
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline fifty4hun

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 09:29:45 »
I see some glaring issues that would make this set not quite IC ready yet, these include:

- your kit renders are not in cherry profile. You should know this if you did your own renders. If you hired someone, probably shouldn't have if they didn't even know to flip a switch in krk.
- some have already pointed out that your novelties look very similar to some other art
- the colors don't fit the theme the best (imo) but I don't study that or anything so just an outsider's opinion
Thank you for your opinion, the board render is coming soon.

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 09:50:43 »
I can't see where The Scream by Van Gogh comes into this at all? they look wildly different. This is a stretch imo.

There have been vendors withdrawing and GBs tanking because of copyright / IP infringement. I would suggest you go back to your artist / designer and get him/her to adapt that one picture. Even if there was no intention to infringe, it could still stop this set from seeing the light of day.

Especially if it is just one artwork or a small portion of the novelties that are problematic - in my opinion it would be sad if that small thing brings all your work on this to nought.

Offline FlitzDeelman

Re: [IC] GMK Psychosis | Vendors updated
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 10:15:49 »

Regarding whether the colours fit the theme, I’m also an outsider. But I must say there is probably a difference between psychedelic (bright colours flowing into each other) and psychotic (real and imaginary blending into each other).

Though I have heard that intense drug trippiness can induce psychosis.

The justification for the colours used seems to make sense to me.

Offline supernus

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 11:19:34 »
did you mean Edvard Munch's The Scream? and I'm wondering what the santa cruise hand with its pinky out has to do with psycosis or the scream.

Offline fifty4hun

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 22:12:35 »

There have been vendors withdrawing and GBs tanking because of copyright / IP infringement. I would suggest you go back to your artist / designer and get him/her to adapt that one picture. Even if there was no intention to infringe, it could still stop this set from seeing the light of day.

Especially if it is just one artwork or a small portion of the novelties that are problematic - in my opinion it would be sad if that small thing brings all your work on this to nought.
Thank you for your advice! I will talk to my designer!

Offline fifty4hun

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 22:13:34 »
did you mean Edvard Munch's The Scream? and I'm wondering what the santa cruise hand with its pinky out has to do with psycosis or the scream.
Thank you for your opinion! I have explained the pinky out of the fingers above and I will check it with my designer:)

Offline Owl

Re: [IC] GMK Psychosis | Renders and Vendors updated
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 20:45:15 »
I definitely appreciate the subject matter and being willing to attempt to express a topic that is more serious in nature since that doesn't happen very often in the keycap design sphere. I can't help but think this is a little inauthentic though. Just seems really surface level for a subject that carries a lot of depth to it. And while that would normally not be a terrible thing for, say, a more palette friendly theme, I think it's a disservice for mental illness. I think I would have preferred to see a design based off of a certain experience or someones specific experience rather than a popular culture representation that attempts to lump the whole thing into, what comes off as, a generic package.

I am not offended by it or think it's like super problematic I guess. I don't think you shouldn't run this or you have to do anything a certain way. It is after all your set and your interpretation. But I look back to other sets that tried to tackle important subjects and some of the concerns that people had with, for example, the LGBTQ set, are coming to my own mind here as well. The idea of raising awareness for mental illness by selling a product with a mental illness as an aesthetic just... I don't quite know how to word it but it doesn't come off as super virtuous lol. And in the case of those other sets, they at least had some of the proceeds going to organizations to further promote awareness and make a financial impact on the people effected. Which didn't necessarily make me suddenly like them but it was a very good step for them to take in my opinion. But yeah I don't know that I can really get behind selling Psychosis. While I personally don't suffer from the condition of Psychosis, I look at some people that I have known personally or have met briefly with these kinds of conditions and I'm just not making a connection between their stories and this interpretation.

Offline fifty4hun

Re: [IC] GMK Psychosis | Renders and Vendors updated
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 22:27:42 »
I definitely appreciate the subject matter and being willing to attempt to express a topic that is more serious in nature since that doesn't happen very often in the keycap design sphere. I can't help but think this is a little inauthentic though. Just seems really surface level for a subject that carries a lot of depth to it. And while that would normally not be a terrible thing for, say, a more palette friendly theme, I think it's a disservice for mental illness. I think I would have preferred to see a design based off of a certain experience or someones specific experience rather than a popular culture representation that attempts to lump the whole thing into, what comes off as, a generic package.

I am not offended by it or think it's like super problematic I guess. I don't think you shouldn't run this or you have to do anything a certain way. It is after all your set and your interpretation. But I look back to other sets that tried to tackle important subjects and some of the concerns that people had with, for example, the LGBTQ set, are coming to my own mind here as well. The idea of raising awareness for mental illness by selling a product with a mental illness as an aesthetic just... I don't quite know how to word it but it doesn't come off as super virtuous lol. And in the case of those other sets, they at least had some of the proceeds going to organizations to further promote awareness and make a financial impact on the people effected. Which didn't necessarily make me suddenly like them but it was a very good step for them to take in my opinion. But yeah I don't know that I can really get behind selling Psychosis. While I personally don't suffer from the condition of Psychosis, I look at some people that I have known personally or have met briefly with these kinds of conditions and I'm just not making a connection between their stories and this interpretation.

Thank you for your opinion. Being a severe mental illness patient, I am just trying to express my feeling and condition through it. Everyone has a different story, I am just telling mine and others'. The style that is presented in the novelties is just an expression which I personally think is quite suitable for it. I am not just selling this product by "spreading the meaning behind" but also donating some of the profit to the charity to help someone who is suffering from mental illness as well.
Art is not just something aesthetic or something fun. People have expressed their emotions and thoughts through drawings, music, or even dramas. Many pop, rock and classical music are written about mental illness. Many drawings are describing mental illness. Some dramas and movies are talking about mental illness. Indeed, they are commercial and selling as products. However, they successfully raise awareness. So why not raising awareness in a different way?
But thanks again for your honest advice and I hope you could get what I am trying to do.

Offline fifty4hun

Re: [IC] GMK Psychosis | Novelties, Renders and Vendors updated
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 23:28:31 »
Novelties, render and vendor updated!

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 11:23:19 »
Kono pepew

Offline fifty4hun

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 11:28:24 »
Kono pepew
Could you please help me to fill out my IC form?xd

Offline Tomn

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 19:18:48 »
Looks good
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 May 2021, 21:15:22 by Tomn »

Offline UnicornCables

• Unicorn Cables
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 19:28:09 »
Sweet  :thumb:

Offline fifty4hun

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 05:19:52 »
Looks good
Thank you for your support!

Offline fifty4hun

Offline fifty4hun

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 08:23:23 »
South America and South Korea vendors updated!

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 08:27:04 »
The meaning behind this set is to raise the awareness of psychosis.

Not sure how you're going to achieve this... also this whole theme is a little confusing. Is this set meant for people with psychosis? For people who want to feel psychotic? How does this set raise awareness exactly?

Anyway colour wise I guess you can't really go wrong with neutral tones, but somehow it seems a little lacking. The best part of this IC was the banner, I was expecting something like GMK Redacted for some reason.

Critique aside, if I look at the theme of the novelties and where you're going with the colours, you could have gone for a zombie theme and it would be a lot less off putting than trying to make it sound like a mental health awareness campaign.

Offline fifty4hun

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 08:43:04 »
The meaning behind this set is to raise the awareness of psychosis.

Not sure how you're going to achieve this... also this whole theme is a little confusing. Is this set meant for people with psychosis? For people who want to feel psychotic? How does this set raise awareness exactly?

Anyway colour wise I guess you can't really go wrong with neutral tones, but somehow it seems a little lacking. The best part of this IC was the banner, I was expecting something like GMK Redacted for some reason.

Critique aside, if I look at the theme of the novelties and where you're going with the colours, you could have gone for a zombie theme and it would be a lot less off putting than trying to make it sound like a mental health awareness campaign.
Thank you for your opinion!
The novelties aim to show the inner side of people with psychosis, it's basically revealing what's on their mind cuz not many people understand their feelings.
The colour is not randomly chosen. people might think it should be black and white but off-white and grey colourway would be the perfect match for this theme.
And lastly, I don't want my novelties to become something full of hearts and love cuz I wanna tell the truth of psychosis instead. The sketches of psychosis do not pop up in my mind, the idea originally comes from the symptoms of psychosis and it's not just a name for it.
Anyways, thank you for your advice and I will try to make it clear.

Offline lettucebaby

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 09:28:22 »
Great theme with cool design~~~ :cool:
Please take my money ^^ :D

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 13:29:58 »
Nice classic colors.

Offline fifty4hun

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 13:31:57 »
Nice classic colors.
Thank you for your opinion! It would be great if you could fill out the IC form for me^^

Offline fifty4hun

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 01:41:28 »
Renders are updated

Offline fifty4hun

Re: [IC] GMK Psychosis | Deskmat design updated!
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 03:24:34 »
Deskmat design updated!

Offline fifty4hun

Re: [IC] GMK Psychosis | Colour Differences & Deskmat design updated!
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 23:35:50 »
The colour difference references have been updated

Offline fifty4hun

Re: [IC] GMK Psychosis | Massive updates!
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 22:22:19 »
Updates:
 - The novelties were edited to meet GMK standards.
 - The renders were changed back to cherry profile.
 - 2 kits were added.
 - Kittings were modified a bit.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 07:28:14 »
Heart Stab Rama Keycap When  ^-^

Offline fifty4hun

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 07:31:12 »
Heart Stab Rama Keycap When  ^-^

we are now working on it now~~

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 07:33:06 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 13:42:22 »
I like the colorway of this set
I like the addition of the 2 kits
Novelties are not my thing but well executed ( references aside )
Kono is just too expensive compared to other vendors

Offline Chenson

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 08:22:04 »
Any update on this? very keen on joining the GB.

Also i'm assuming Rama's are no longer going through? if not then I recommend HIBI MX as an alternative.

Cheers

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 12:29:32 »
Also i'm assuming Rama's are no longer going through?

I noticed that I have not seen Ramas on new GB. It is a trend that I have noticed but have not seen anything official.

Offline Chenson

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 22:57:51 »

I noticed that I have not seen Ramas on new GB. It is a trend that I have noticed but have not seen anything official.

Just got an email regarding this. They stated that Rama's collabs are currently on hold.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 08 November 2021, 06:44:15 »

Just got an email regarding this. They stated that Rama's collabs are currently on hold.

Kate, the person  who spearheaded keeb related stuff development left Rama, so yeah, no more collabs in the foreseeable future, unless they get another designer, which I doubt.

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 22:08:18 »
love the novelties, actually wishing the kit could be a bit larger  :-X