Author Topic: Trouble using Soarer's FilterKeys Setter  (Read 6419 times)

Offline KeyrateIssues

Trouble using Soarer's FilterKeys Setter
« on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 09:31:05 »
Recently I downloaded Soarer's wonderful little tool described in this post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41881.0

Essentially, it uses FilterKeys settings to allow you to easily specify in ms your repeat rate and repeat delay and save to registry on the fly; it is very handy and works well for the job. The problem? Any time I set the values below 250 33 (default maximum windows will let you) I get some strange error that makes this utility quite unusable.

When I do Shift+Click or Ctrl+Click sometimes the modifier keys will behave as though "stuck". Keyboard testers do not show that the keys are being depressed, but they seem to keep inputting until I hit either Ctrl or Shift again.

Here's what I know:
  • Sticky keys is not on, nor enabled to be turned on
  • This is not limited to my hardware malfunctioning(tested other keyboards)
  • This is not limited to this method of changing FilterKeys speed; I have used multiple other methods
  • The way these settings work may be somewhat different on windows 10 (I am on windows 8.1)
  • The issue mostly seems to be with repeat rate rather than repeat delay

All this said, I guess what I am wondering is if anyone has had similar issues with misbehaving modifier keys at high input rates, and if so, how did you resolve them? If I could exempt or opt-in only certain keys I feel that this would be a simple matter, but I can't seem to find any way to do this natively in windows. I can't seem to find anything about this happening to anyone else so any help would be appreciated!!!