Author Topic: Horror Movie Suggestions and Discussion  (Read 82892 times)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: Horror Movie Suggestions and Discussion
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 00:11:00 »
What's a good film to watch this weekend by myself late at night if I don't like jump scares?

My home movies, pm for link!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 00:23:35 »
Watched The Gate (1987) last night and really enjoyed it. Terrible acting, but amazing script and creature effects. An absolutely underrated late '80s horror film, I'm actually surprised this doesn't have a bigger cult following. I am actually surprised it only received a PG13 rating at the time, there's some splattery effects in there. Totally fun the entire ride, would highly recommend to anyone who loves '80s/90s creature features.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #202 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 09:19:16 »
https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3528672/peter-jackson-team-fully-restoring-dead-alive-bad-taste-4k-releases/

If you've never had the privilege of watching Dead Alive or Bad Taste, I highly recommend them, especially if you enjoy campy splatter flicks. 
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 13:14:12 »
If I'm not mistaken, at one point Dead Alive was considered THE goriest movie ever made. The Lawnmower scene made it on AMC's 100 scariest movie moments, simply because of how much gore and blood were involved. It was that over the top.

That's probably a big part of why Dead Alive doesn't air much in the US. The FCC would go ape****.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #204 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 13:46:39 »
https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3528672/peter-jackson-team-fully-restoring-dead-alive-bad-taste-4k-releases/

If you've never had the privilege of watching Dead Alive or Bad Taste, I highly recommend them, especially if you enjoy campy splatter flicks. 

Hrrrrmmm.. dead alive 4K..

Idk.. the Vanilla bluray release was mehh.. they made the flic w/ bargain equipment..  not alot of fidelity in general.. The dark scenes were also very grey and blurry because of poor film sensitivity.

I guess that's probably not why people watch Dead Alive for.. buhhh.. yea 4K would be a money grab..

These screens were pulled from the bluray

206024-0

206026-1

206028-2

206030-3

206032-4

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #205 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 15:43:04 »

Hrrrrmmm.. dead alive 4K..

Idk.. the Vanilla bluray release was mehh.. they made the flic w/ bargain equipment..  not alot of fidelity in general.. The dark scenes were also very grey and blurry because of poor film sensitivity.

I guess that's probably not why people watch Dead Alive for.. buhhh.. yea 4K would be a money grab..

These screens were pulled from the bluray

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Jackson is saying they look a lot better, and the article states they haven't been restored or re-released as of yet.  Quote from the article:

Despite being beloved by horror fans, neither film has to date been restored and re-released, but Jackson himself just revealed to Empire’s Film Podcast that 4K restorations are in the works!

“Anything from those films that is available is, like, 1990s Telecine things, which is the best that we had… compared now, they look bloody awful,” Jackson told the podcast. “I just haven’t re-released them because, if I do, I want them to look really good. We’ve actually done some experiments. They look bloody fantastic. They look like they’re shot on 35mm.”

“So yeah, what we’ll do now is.. get really nice 4K copies of these fully restored and back out into circulation again,” Jackson added.

I'm just glad to see one of my favorites being potentially restored, but the DVD copy is all I've ever seen and I'm 110% content with that!  Also, Jackson probably has no real need for money after the success of all the LOTR films and I don't see a 4k Dead Alive really being a cash-cow, seems more like a project of passion than anything.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #206 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 15:48:43 »
It is not really a movie but.... The Haunting of Hill House is AMAZING.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 17:53:17 »

Jackson is saying they look a lot better, and the article states they haven't been restored or re-released as of yet.  Quote from the article:

Despite being beloved by horror fans, neither film has to date been restored and re-released, but Jackson himself just revealed to Empire’s Film Podcast that 4K restorations are in the works!

“Anything from those films that is available is, like, 1990s Telecine things, which is the best that we had… compared now, they look bloody awful,” Jackson told the podcast. “I just haven’t re-released them because, if I do, I want them to look really good. We’ve actually done some experiments. They look bloody fantastic. They look like they’re shot on 35mm.”

“So yeah, what we’ll do now is.. get really nice 4K copies of these fully restored and back out into circulation again,” Jackson added.

I'm just glad to see one of my favorites being potentially restored, but the DVD copy is all I've ever seen and I'm 110% content with that!  Also, Jackson probably has no real need for money after the success of all the LOTR films and I don't see a 4k Dead Alive really being a cash-cow, seems more like a project of passion than anything.

What's this about Wizards... ??

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 08:54:51 »

Offline Eldr1tch

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 19:25:36 »
So when it comes to horror movie suggestions, I usually recommend some but there are some caveats:

You want a movie that has the possibility of horrifying you and that said movie is fictional in nature. If not then I could just recommend instructional videos on eye/knee surgery or the breeding habits of human bloat flies.

Anyway here is a list of movies I found to be particularly disturbing and/or scary. It's best to not look up as much as possible about each of these before watching:

1. Martyrs (2008 - ahem, there was a 2015 remake apparently? Not needed, refuse to watch. Revenge thriller I guess you could call it?)

2. The Road (2009 - A film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's novel of the same name. Bleak. Post-apocalyptic survival.)

3. Bone Tomahawk (2015 - Old west frontier setting, rescue the damsel in distress.)

4. The Descent (2005 - Cave exploration gone awry.)

5. [REC] (2007 - NOT THE AMERICAN REMAKE - Found footage film from within an apartment building quarantined by the CDC.)

6. It Follows (2014 - Abstinence propaganda of the best kind.)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #211 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 10:23:04 »
So when it comes to horror movie suggestions, I usually recommend some but there are some caveats:

You want a movie that has the possibility of horrifying you and that said movie is fictional in nature. If not then I could just recommend instructional videos on eye/knee surgery or the breeding habits of human bloat flies.

Anyway here is a list of movies I found to be particularly disturbing and/or scary. It's best to not look up as much as possible about each of these before watching:

1. Martyrs (2008 - ahem, there was a 2015 remake apparently? Not needed, refuse to watch. Revenge thriller I guess you could call it?)

2. The Road (2009 - A film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's novel of the same name. Bleak. Post-apocalyptic survival.)

3. Bone Tomahawk (2015 - Old west frontier setting, rescue the damsel in distress.)

5. [REC] (2007 - NOT THE AMERICAN REMAKE - Found footage film from within an apartment building quarantined by the CDC.)

The Road was definitely the feel-good movie of 2009!

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 10:24:28 »
I really did not enjoy martyrs.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 11:54:18 »
I really did not enjoy martyrs.

Then watch The Road, it'll perk you right back up!

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #215 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 11:02:01 »

Bone Tomahawk is rough; just the one particular scene. Don't have much taste for shock horror these days. Plain gore doesn't bother me. Terrifier on netflix is supposed to be similar in "appeal" as far as shock value goes.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 09:56:27 »
I was watching Hereditary on a flight back from Japan.  That movie is creepy as hell!
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #217 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 09:57:19 »
I was watching Hereditary on a flight back from Japan.  That movie is creepy as hell!

guess they don't screen for potential disruptive media.

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 16:27:12 »
They're not exactly full-on horror, but Gummo and Silence of the Lambs

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #219 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 16:51:54 »
Gummo? idk about that one. Weird and off-puttig maybe, but isn't it supposed to be like a slice of life?

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #220 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 17:33:03 »
Gummo? idk about that one. Weird and off-puttig maybe, but isn't it supposed to be like a slice of life?

Yeah, it is. I only mentioned it because it's easy to see why people may have moments where they get scared during the film

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #221 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 05:07:28 »
Now this is an awesome thread! I just watched Terrifier and it was pretty damn good. Great soundtrack!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #222 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 05:30:31 »
Now this is an awesome thread! I just watched Terrifier and it was pretty damn good. Great soundtrack!

Terrifier was great!

I loved how the main guy would still make faces and act stuff out after the kills, like "guess I ****ed that one up a lil, the ***** stabbed me"

Has to be the most fun horror movie I've seen in a while
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #223 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 06:21:56 »

Terrifier was great!

I loved how the main guy would still make faces and act stuff out after the kills, like "guess I ****ed that one up a lil, the ***** stabbed me"

Oh man, his faces make the creepy vibe for sure! It’s so good! :D

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 08:50:36 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frighteners

Watch this again over the weekend, still holds up!

Offline RandyWood

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 09:51:03 »
Movies that I generally found scary on first watch:

The Descent

Paranormal Activity

Insidious
I love The Exorcist, The Shining, The Thing, Alien.... But I've seen them all too many times to recall how scary they were to me originally.
 :confused:
here is academic support

Offline jackjackkky

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 09:57:29 »
There’s a Korean movie, “a tale of two sisters” I think it’s called, similar to the grudge which I also thought was crazy scary. Hereditary was also very good, some scenes from that movie are burned into my brain!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #227 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 21:42:45 »
Watched The Void on NF a few days ago, it had some neat ideas and I love seeing practical monster effects being used to that extent. But the movie was only OK, there was a lot more they could've done with it. You get the sense the script was cut back a lot.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 21:45:33 »
Watched The Void on NF a few days ago, it had some neat ideas and I love seeing practical monster effects being used to that extent. But the movie was only OK, there was a lot more they could've done with it. You get the sense the script was cut back a lot.

I agree... it had some rad parts but it left me wanting a lot more.

Have you watched Mandy yet?

I really enjoyed it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #229 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 21:49:43 »

I really enjoyed it.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for Nic Cage movies. Is he a good actor or a bad actor? We may never know.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #230 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 21:19:28 »
Movies that I generally found scary on first watch:

The Descent

Paranormal Activity

Insidious
I love The Exorcist, The Shining, The Thing, Alien.... But I've seen them all too many times to recall how scary they were to me originally.
 :confused:

The Descent was awesome.. The Shining and The Thing are legendary! Alien also rules..

I really enjoyed it.

Mandy was a really interesting movie. I love Nic Cage!

Offline Wood_Cables

• Wood/Cables
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 11:13:27 »
The best from the past few years-

The Witch
The Blackcoat's Daughter
I am The Pretty Thing That Lives in The House
The Eyes of My Mother

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #232 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 10:05:05 »
It's not a traditional scary movie, but I watched "Oats Studio: Vol 1". It's a collection of scifi/horror shorts. It was pretty awesome and I spent quite a bit of time looking for similar things afterwards.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 11:54:19 »

Offline TopEssayServices

• TopEssayServices
    • evolution writers reviews
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 08:46:57 »
I agree...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #235 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 21:19:00 »
Just saw Hagazussa (2017).

German's take on Middle-ages Pagan Witch-folklore.

Not a traditional action / thriller / horror, no shock / gore.

It's mainly cinematic / cerebral / moody.

The camera work and framing is fantastic.

Overall Artsy.

Rated R, inappropriate for young audiences.

220643-0

220645-1

220647-2

220649-3

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #236 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 22:10:44 »
If you're in to some asian horror, I recommend Coming Soon (2008, Thai Film)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #237 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 22:46:26 »
If you're in to some asian horror, I recommend Coming Soon (2008, Thai Film)

Just watched it.

Hrrrm... a way to beat the ghost given their setup may be to increase the viewers by so much , that it overwhelm's her transport ability.

If their scene is only a 15x15 room, if we transported 500 people , it'd break the dynamic.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #238 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 09:51:30 »
Haven't watched too much recently in the past year. Im usually at least 1-2 a week, but life hits you hard sometimes.

Watched 'House' recently. Gotta say, this thing is objectively just a bad movie overall imho. But I loved it anyway? It has this weird charm to it, and despite the insane nature of the movie and how whacky is it, it genuinely made me feel uncomfortable the whole time.

Rewatched Ichi the Killer as well. Will always be a classic as far as I'm concerned.

Also been watching some classics on Shudder in the form of Joe Bob's Drive-In Theater. Really glad they brought this back, it's still my favorite way to watch old horror movies.

Offline adimkahan0

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 11:32:58 »
Good discussion posted here.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 13:46:59 »
Midsommer looks pretty good. It reminds me of the Satanic/Cult films that were super popular in the '70s. I wanna see it, anyone seen it?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 15:04:25 »
Midsommer looks pretty good. It reminds me of the Satanic/Cult films that were super popular in the '70s. I wanna see it, anyone seen it?

The visuals from the trailer indicate the director is trying some non traiditional new-stuff.

Lots of intentional white crush in the lighting/coloring

Don't know if this will actually be scary..  but it should at least be a visual change of pace.

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #242 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 11:06:06 »
Midsommar is fantastic! I'm still thinking about it, weeks later. It's scary because everything that happens in the film could happen IRL, unlike his first film, Hereditary, which is also fantastic. After walking out of the theater, my wife says "Remind me to never watch another one of that guy's movies." lol
I listened to a podcast recently with Ari Aster (Midsommar's filmmaker) and Robert Eggers (The Witch's filmmaker) which goes into both of their conceptual and filming processes.
https://a24films.com/notes/2019/07/deep-cuts-with-robert-eggers-and-ari-aster

And speaking of Robert Eggers...he has a new film coming out called The Lighthouse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyag7lR8CPA
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline smarmar

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 11:15:38 »

Terrifier was great!

Oh man, his faces make the creepy vibe for sure! It’s so good! :D
I still think about Terrifier from time to time, not because I enjoyed it for its story or art merits but because it made me feel bad. It's pure torture porn, which is my least favorite horror sub genre, and I just wanted that clown to die through the entire movie. Worse yet, I watched it with my parents (!) My dad likes cheesy horror flicks and he says "I'm in the mood for a scary movie, let's peruse the Netflix and see what pops up."  :eek:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline dondongler

• Gotta Light?
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 11:27:09 »

I saw it the other day, didn't find it scary but visually it was really cool. Would definitely recommend it!  :thumb:

Offline smarmar

« Reply #245 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 11:11:50 »

I saw it the other day, didn't find it scary but visually it was really cool. Would definitely recommend it!  :thumb:
You're right. Midsommar isn't actually scary, per se, but I found it to be extremely intense, stress-inducing, and suspenseful...and beautiful, I might add. According to an article I read, Ari Aster's intent was to create a fairy tale for the main character while dropping the supporting characters into a folk-horror nightmare.

The only horror stories that scare me are ones depicting the paranormal, like hauntings, possessions, alien abductions -- things that I can't explain away by real-world science and physics.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #246 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 08:09:16 »
I just wanted to pop in and say, Crawl (2019), ****ing sucked.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #247 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 18:03:09 »
Just watched Chillerama last night for the first time and I am in love with this movie.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #248 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 18:29:47 »
Just watched Chillerama last night for the first time and I am in love with this movie.
Show Image

Ohh that looks interesting! I'm pretty big on obscure horror flicks & never heard of it yet. Definitely gonna have to check it out, thanks for the heads up NT!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #249 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 19:10:06 »
Show Image

Ohh that looks interesting! I'm pretty big on obscure horror flicks & never heard of it yet. Definitely gonna have to check it out, thanks for the heads up NT!

it's on Amazon Prime, that's where I caught it

I'll just say this: If the first story puts you off you won't like the rest, because it only gets progressively more offensive. Have a few beers and know it's meant to be a cheesy over-the-top B-Movie type of homage. It reminds me a lot of old Troma movies.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 September 2019, 19:12:36 by noisyturtle »