Author Topic: Which Stabilizer do you like the best and why?  (Read 9794 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: Which Stabilizer do you like the best and why?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 18:35:29 »
I have no preference other than to proper alignment + lubrication. Both kinds can feel bad or very good, depending on alignment, how loose Costar stabilizer inserts fit in spacebar stems, etc.  With careful tweaking, both types can be nice.  I find Cherry stabilizes overall easier on my thumbs.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 18:40:12 »
I took all the costar stabilizers besides the space bar out of my XT and it feels just fine.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 19:22:05 »

PCB mount cherry stabs...
The best feel, easy cap switching, low noise, low wobble.

The last two boards I've built have been my first foray into PCB mount stabilizers. I do like how easy it is to change caps, and the feel is fine if you clip them, but I've had a different experience regarding noise: they're quite loud and clicky, both on the way down and back up. I've fixed it by lubing in the right places, but if you had a plate that unfortunately can't be easily done once switches are all soldered.

Hmm, all my plate mounted Costa stab boards are noisier, especially the spacebar...

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 19:02:35 »
Just curious, I know that cherry and costar are the most common stabilizers, but are there any other more obscure stabilizers for cherry MX switches?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 19:04:44 »
I know of none outside of Costar and Cherry.

Alps, on the other hand, seem to be vendor specific.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 20:36:37 »
I like the stabilizers in topre boards best. The difference in feel/sound is next to nothing compared with cherry or costar, and there is almost no wobble.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 20:56:24 »
I like the stabilizers in topre boards best. The difference in feel/sound is next to nothing compared with cherry or costar, and there is almost no wobble.

It is exactly what I'm wondering when I see Cooler Master Novatouch TKL.
My curiosity is to know how they implement the stabilizers on that hybrid keyboard.
Can they reach to the level of Topre but also maintain the compatibility of Cherry MX?
I like linear switches

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 21:01:49 »

My curiosity is to know how they implement the stabilizers on that hybrid keyboard.
Can they reach to the level of Topre but also maintain the compatibility of Cherry MX?
Lets hope so, I am holding off on topre until cooler master does their thing. I want a TKL topre keyboard for sure, it has to be 55g but the realforce board doesn't look like a good match for me. I don't like how far it goes back after the f key row, similar but not as bad as a model m. And the styling is a bit meh to me. Hopefully cooler master can do it right and I can have a 55g topre with nice looking thick pbt keycaps :)

Little bit OT but sorry lol

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 21:04:51 »

Lets hope so, I am holding off on topre until cooler master does their thing. I want a TKL topre keyboard for sure, it has to be 55g but the realforce board doesn't look like a good match for me. I don't like how far it goes back after the f key row, similar but not as bad as a model m. And the styling is a bit meh to me. Hopefully cooler master can do it right and I can have a 55g topre with nice looking thick pbt keycaps :)

Last I heard CoolerMaster is only dong 45g to start with and the rest will all depend on market demand and response to the initial offering.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 21:14:02 »

Last I heard CoolerMaster is only dong 45g to start with and the rest will all depend on market demand and response to the initial offering.
Ugh, then I might need to get an 87u, I need my heavier switches.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 21:17:47 »

I'm pretty sure they had topre-style stabs that looked MX compatible. I can post a pic when I'm not on my phone.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 22:06:18 »
There are a few different styles. Most commonly seen is the one with stabilizer wire mounted on the keycap itself (that in itself have at least 2-3 different variations I've seen). It is kinda like a reverse Costar. And it feels terrible.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 23:11:05 »

I'm pretty sure they had topre-style stabs that looked MX compatible. I can post a pic when I'm not on my phone.

Maybe you're mentioning about this picture, the one posted by CM representative on DT and GH?

It's quite good but I'm not really satisfied with it.
It only does help to increase my curiosity (Thanks CM representative  :blank:)
I need to see more information about it, something like spring, structure and working mechanism.
I like linear switches

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 05:16:32 »

Alps, on the other hand, seem to be vendor specific.

There are a few different styles. Most commonly seen is the one with stabilizer wire mounted on the keycap itself (that in itself have at least 2-3 different variations I've seen). It is kinda like a reverse Costar. And it feels terrible.

Thanks Guys. I was just curious if there were some more comfortable obscure stabs, but it seems there aren't.