Author Topic: Switch Swap on a Plate Mounted Board with out Soldering?! IMPOSSIBRU!  (Read 9428 times)

Offline Inf3rn0_44

Switch Swap on a Plate Mounted Board without Soldering?!

Most people
55401-0

Me
55403-1
(I am now typing on a cloud of boobs :D)

You after reading this
55405-2

Anyways how do you actually do this?
Before you do this see warning @ number 6!

1. And most important step! Force metal plate down!
55407-3

2. With a medium sized flat screw driver apply pressure to one side.
55409-4

3. On that side get a small flathead pry the tab outwards. Apply force gently since this should happen easily if you forced the plate down far enough.
55411-555413-6

4. Repeat on all four tabs while applying pressure and... Pop! :)
55415-7

5. Replace spring/stem and pop cover back on.
55417-855419-9

6. Most tricky part! Force plate back up! I am pretty sure its only possible with matrix boards :)
This is what I used :)
55421-1055423-11

I hope this helped :D
I used this for spring swapping the MX black springs with to ghetto mx reds. (Same stem = less money need to be spent.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2014, 22:21:51 by Inf3rn0_44 »
|IMO 1.0 Frankenmouse WMO Internals |
|Access-IS AKC090 Ghetto Reds w/ O-Rings |

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Switch Swap on a Plate Mounted Board with out Soldering?! IMPOSSIBRU!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 23:01:06 »
Only with Phantom:

« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2014, 12:42:34 by litster »

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 01:32:42 »
@ litster I see how that metal plate has cut outs on the corners of each switch, I was thinking about doing that myself in a future keyboard I am thinking about building. Its a wonderful concept, I am very glad you implemented it in the phantom.

@ripster haha it is the way to do it! I had a gut feeling that you'd find this thread :D

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 09:44:19 »
How difficult is it to force the metal plate back up?
Dvorak

Offline litster

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 10:35:10 »
Quote from: Inf3rn0_44;525256
@ litster I see how that metal plate has cut outs on the corners of each switch, I was thinking about doing that myself in a future keyboard I am thinking about building. Its a wonderful concept, I am very glad you implemented it in the phantom.

I only organize the group buy and took the video, It is not my idea.  It is PrinsValium's idea and design.

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 11:29:40 »

I guess with a staggered board like the filco you can't force the plate back up easily?  Maybe if you go along the long axis of the keyboard with a long stick or something..
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline litster

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 12:47:27 »
Where has red pill been?  Have not seen him here for a while.

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 12:52:54 »
Ripster you would need to have huge balls to do that, I would try, if I had a board I didn't care about. Though I don't think I will work.

What I would do with a staggered board, would be to drill two small holes in the center of the plate before forcing it down. Then I would take a zip tie and thread it through them to be able to pull it back up. It should work like a charm :D.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 12:56:29 »
Awesome mod OP!!

Offline Bird

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 12:57:55 »
You must be talented!

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 13:15:31 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;525699
Awesome mod OP!!

Thanks man :D
I got more idea's I will try to post them when I have time.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 16:14:37 »
I am about to attempt this on my Access...
I got it to use as a macro controller for dj, but it's not working out. So I thought, maybe I would like it for use if it didn't have blacks. After a lot of playing with layout, I discovered my own using a combination of Cherry keys from different language sets. Also I discovered the spacebar from a g80-11900 fits perfectly, but with 6 switch under it... oh MY! Thats way too hard. So I think I will switch to blues and remove some of those spacebar switch.
Wish me luck.

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 16:31:33 »
Quote from: lysol;525895
I am about to attempt this on my Access...
I got it to use as a macro controller for dj, but it's not working out. So I thought, maybe I would like it for use if it didn't have blacks. After a lot of playing with layout, I discovered my own using a combination of Cherry keys from different language sets. Also I discovered the spacebar from a g80-11900 fits perfectly, but with 6 switch under it... oh MY! Thats way too hard. So I think I will switch to blues and remove some of those spacebar switch.
Wish me luck.

That sounds like a sweet mod!

Be careful to when forcing that plate back up!

Also, I didn't mention but you will have to remove a part of the PCB or the Metal plate on the top left side, in order to completely force the plate down.
I just cut off piece of circuit board to make it work.

When I did this I also broke the very bottom left switch since I was an idiot and put a mx brown stem in backwards and bent the **** out of it. I have a new switch coming in the mail.
(Btw browns feel like ****, I guess that's why they are brown. Lol)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 19:00:46 »
Yes I noticed that stupid nut welded to the plate... I just removed it with my dremel. Once that was out, I was able to push down plate with just my hands, same when push back up, very easy on mine.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41753[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41754[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41755[/ATTACH]
I was a few blue stem shy, so i just left a few f-key and the space bar as black. Removed switches under space bar. Only outside 2 are switch, center one is dummy with no spring.

Offline Human

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 21:14:28 »
I believe it can't be apply for all(I mean most) plated mounted keyboard due to several reasons:
1. Some components(mostly diodes) soldered between PCB and steel plate.
2. Some steel-plate is bent inward(and some outward) at the egdes which will prevent it to be pushed down.
3. Some keyboards had a sort of locking mechanisms(such as bolts) for steel plate on the PCB.

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 21:15:26 »
Quote from: lysol;526112
Yes I noticed that stupid nut welded to the plate... I just removed it with my dremel. Once that was out, I was able to push down plate with just my hands, same when push back up, very easy on mine.
(Attachment Link) 41753[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 41754[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 41755[/ATTACH]
I was a few blue stem shy, so i just left a few f-key and the space bar as black. Removed switches under space bar. Only outside 2 are switch, center one is dummy with no spring.

Dude sweet build, I really like the design congrats on making it work! :D

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 21:27:27 »
I was just so surprised the Cherry 6 unit spacebar was perfect alignment for 3 switch. That really makes it for me, especially since 2 unit 2 switch keycaps are usually R1 profile and feel terrible on R4. Blues feel so much better for sure. I was surprised at how easy it was to do, after I got rid of that annoying nut they put in between the plate and pcb. If only I could type on it...
Now I just need to get my XP machine to display video after the splash screen so I can reprogram it. haven't used it in awhile, and no idea what is going on there, neither the gpu card or the onboard are working. Not in safe mode, not in vga mode. Sadly I have no freaking working ide optical to reload xp either. Wish I could get Access software to program the board under 7 x64, but it hates it. What a pain.
Sad I will now probably spend 2 times as long fooling with the software side as it took to mod the board.

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 20:22:29 »
Quote from: lysol;526217
I was just so surprised the Cherry 6 unit spacebar was perfect alignment for 3 switch. That really makes it for me, especially since 2 unit 2 switch keycaps are usually R1 profile and feel terrible on R4. Blues feel so much better for sure. I was surprised at how easy it was to do, after I got rid of that annoying nut they put in between the plate and pcb. If only I could type on it...
Now I just need to get my XP machine to display video after the splash screen so I can reprogram it. haven't used it in awhile, and no idea what is going on there, neither the gpu card or the onboard are working. Not in safe mode, not in vga mode. Sadly I have no freaking working ide optical to reload xp either. Wish I could get Access software to program the board under 7 x64, but it hates it. What a pain.
Sad I will now probably spend 2 times as long fooling with the software side as it took to mod the board.

Yeah congrats dude! Know what you mean 100% dude, I had so much trouble with the software before I did a dual boot with XP and Win7. I just installed WinXP and then used EasyBCD software to display it on the boot screen for 5 seconds. I am in love with Cherry Reds now, they are my favorite switch. In fact I see it this way Reds>Blacks>Blues>Browns. So reds for gaming are really the best option. And the straight key columns are so much easier to learn fast on. I am already typing like 90% of my original speed with ease. Second layer is also pretty sweet, are you going to incorporate one in yours too?

Offline ryan92084

• Consumer ****
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 21:26:36 »
Quote from: litster;524987
Only with Phantom:

[video=youtube;HysRQnJiupQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HysRQnJiupQ[/video]

Why must you make me kick myself more and more for having missed out on the phantoms?  I doubt I'll be the only one dilegently watching the classifieds for one.

RiP *ucky Shine(ing)

Offline Kitesurfer

Re: Switch Swap on a Plate Mounted Board with out Soldering?! IMPOSSIBRU!
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 06:57:33 »
Hello
Could please the OP host again the pics ? I would myself really like to swap to clears (that I already have from a PCB-mounted Cherry G80-3000LQC). I have 2 of the same Access-IS keyboards and really like them (with 50A o-rings) but I fancy trying one of these with my favorite tactile switch.
Many thanks in advance. [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:36:40 by Kitesurfer »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 07:00:26 »
^^ you do realize this thread is almost two years old, right?

Offline Kitesurfer

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 07:29:31 »
Sure I do (there's a warning before posting). But no need to create a new thread in my view, better update this one to keep things sorted. I just hope the OP kept a copy of the pics somewhere at hand...  ;D

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 08:27:32 »
No idea about OP but I am still around... I don't have any in process photo of when I did it, only before and after so I guess that won't help you. I can offer some more direction though.
Basically it is really easy. The first thing you need to do is get rid of the bolt and nut that is in-between the plate and pcb near the top left. Once that is gone, you may be able to push the plate down with your hands depending on how tight the fitment is. Or use something like a thick plastic ruler and place it between column and press down firmly until the plate pops down. Once it is completely down you can use some small precision screwdriver or whatever to open the housing and swap the spring/stems. Once you are done with this you will need to put the plate back in it's original position which is the most tricky part. I would suggest a long piece of insulated wire, fed between columns under the plate and yank it upwards until it snap back in place. You will probably have to work it incrementally a few times across so to avoid getting one end at a poor angle and jammed or bending the plate. Good luck.

Offline Kitesurfer

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 12:08:46 »
Hi IvanIvanovich,

Well thanks a lot, that really helped : it's done !
Everything was as you described. The only annoying thing was that 2 keys wouldn't work after remount due to bad contact. After some tinkering now it's OK.
After 3 goes, putting down and up the plate is a breeze. Just make sure the upper part of each switch is firmly pushed down otherwise it can become unseated when the plate snaps up.

On a side note, I'm surprised at how little contrast there is between the clears and the original blacks. Now I'm thinking about greens... (heavier and clicky)

Now a few pics to give an idea of what it is like - sorry for the quality.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3M0c3SlhTX2xUalE/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3RWRmeHUxWVZXX0E/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3SEJzVk5vVllXY0E/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3SXdBdTVGQmJySTQ/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3SlZ4UW5Ed3BVTTA/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3V2dfaXRNUFQ2b2s/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3VU1zdEUzM1RVZnc/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3VXhTcWtER0pMUUU/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3YTdfelFkS3h0bmc/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3YmJwYTlvMEc3cU0/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3azg2aXBQM1dzMjg/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3bjlZMjVuSThxaEk/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3cHR0MXVaTzNzVU0/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43y9-vzM0T3eFcyWW1PekxoTlk/edit?usp=sharing

Hope it can help someone some day.
Cheers !

« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:34:05 by Kitesurfer »

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 17:17:31 »
Awesome work! I can re upload the pictures for you guys no worries. I have been using this keyboard daily since I rebuilt it! I love it :)
Mx Reds and Compact Linear design FTW

Offline Kitesurfer

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 00:01:19 »
You're the one that extended the customisation possibilities of an already great keyboard.  :cool:
Myself I would have never dared to force the plate down initially without your indications and Ivan's.
Thanks again to the two of you.  :thumb:

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 00:08:58 »
The only thing to be careful about is how you force the metal plate up onto the switches.
Use soft tape it worked well for me.
I have been using the board since, with this method.  :))

Now I need a set of 90 keycaps lol
Any recommendations?

Offline Kitesurfer

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 01:27:32 »
Thanks for reuploading your pics. You rock  :thumb:
The first «non technical» ones depict pretty well my former situation !  :))
To be honest I had an electrical wire with me but didn't even have to use : simply pushing it up progressively from one side to the other did the trick.
To force it down I used :
- a pencil in between the middle rows to avoid too much bend in the plate.
- faith in you and Ivan  ;D
Cheers  :thumb:

Offline CatNip :3

• bouncy bouncy
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 03:40:54 »
Thanks for the guide! I was just thinking about changing the switch of my Poker! Anyways, a video would also be nice, haha. ^.^

Edit: This would still work with a board with LEDs, right? :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 February 2014, 03:42:49 by CatNip :3 »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 03:42:25 »
Good job!

This is an interesting way to do it and may work also for a small board with a plate, like a Poker 2!
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.