Author Topic: Lowest Profile Cherry MX Keyboard?  (Read 4707 times)

Offline clickclack123

Lowest Profile Cherry MX Keyboard?
« on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:57:33 »
I bought a Cherry MX Board 2.0, and it has low-profile keys, which I really like. I think it's 27mm high at the top.

Anyone know some other low-profile Cherry MX keyboards?

55366-0

Offline dante

Re: Lowest Profile Cherry MX Keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 17:10:46 »
The Cherry MX 3.0 is 1.1", Topre Typeheaven and WASD V2 are 1.2", everything else is 1.25" and above.

You asked about Cherry MX but I listed the Typeheaven anyway as it's the thinnest of the Topre boards.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 17:27:08 »
The Cherry MX 3.0 is 1.1"

I think Cherry MX Board 2.0 and 3.0 are the same (1.1" is 28mm), MX 3.0 just added some media keys I think.

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 17:37:20 »

I think Cherry MX Board 2.0 and 3.0 are the same (1.1" is 28mm), MX 3.0 just added some media keys I think.

Not so sure.  The G80-3850 has ABS keycaps while the 3800 has POM.  When I look at keycaps on Taobao the optional POM/PBT keycaps made for the 3800 - but also compatible with the 3850 - look a little taller than the stock ABS on the 3850.  Not much taller but noticeably so.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 19:09:45 »
The Cherry MX 3.0 is 1.1", Topre Typeheaven and WASD V2 are 1.2", everything else is 1.25" and above.

You asked about Cherry MX but I listed the Typeheaven anyway as it's the thinnest of the Topre boards.

Last time I typed on a Typeheaven the keys didn't seem that short, although I also use a Leopold as my daily driver and they have a shorter profile than OEM. Do you know how Leopold height compares?
;)

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 19:46:43 »
I'm just comparing the dimensions on Elite Keyboards site.  It lists the TypeHeaven at 1.2", RF 87/104 at 1.5", FC660C at 1.53", HHKB at 1.6".

The FC200R originally - as I understand it - started out as slightly lower ABS keycaps than typical OEM.  Once Leopold of Korea cancelled this board and EK continued to order from the OEM in Taiwan the keycaps height went back to standard OEM.  I believe this is the case based on what I've read.

The FC700R has always had shorter profile keycaps - I don't know what the official dimensions are on it.

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 19:57:30 »
What is the appeal of low profile keyboards? I hear a lot of people not wanting to leave their rubber domes because they're low profile.
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 20:01:49 »
What is the appeal of low profile keyboards? I hear a lot of people not wanting to leave their rubber domes because they're low profile.

Some people are more comfortable with a lower profile keyboard.

Offline tbc

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 20:02:29 »

more ergonomic.

arching your wrists to hit higher profile keys really aggravates some rsi conditions.

not to mention, lower profile is easier to transport

theres also just petsonal preference, basic comfort as well.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 20:29:37 »
I'm just comparing the dimensions on Elite Keyboards site.  It lists the TypeHeaven at 1.2", RF 87/104 at 1.5", FC660C at 1.53", HHKB at 1.6".

The FC200R originally - as I understand it - started out as slightly lower ABS keycaps than typical OEM.  Once Leopold of Korea cancelled this board and EK continued to order from the OEM in Taiwan the keycaps height went back to standard OEM.  I believe this is the case based on what I've read.

The FC700R has always had shorter profile keycaps - I don't know what the official dimensions are on it.

I see, I'll measure when I get home to check.
;)

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 21:02:34 »

I like the feel of the MX Board 2.0 keycaps much better than the usual higher profile MX caps (could be because they're POM, as dante said?), plus I think high profile looks too "retro" for me, reminds me of my old C64.

I like the futuristic and flat look and feel. The switches have the same travel with either caps on them, so there is no advantage to higher caps IMO.

Also I don't have to arch my wrist so much to accommodate for the height of the keyboard.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 06:14:23 »
* Low-profile rubber domes with scissor switches don't have mushy landing. Dampened, often, but not mushy.
* Wrist angle. Don't want/don't know of wrist rests, or their desks don't have adjustable height or height adjustment is difficult. Some desks have metal beams below the desk surface so you can't lower them much without bumping into the knees.
* Some people prefer their keyboards to not be angled that much. Low-profile keyboards often aren't.

I like the futuristic and flat look and feel. The switches have the same travel with either caps on them, so there is no advantage to higher caps IMO.
Less wobble with lower caps. Not that there is much difference. Plate and sticker mods can decrease wobble even more, but then you would like to lube also.