Author Topic: Poker : Asking questions.  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
Poker : Asking questions.
« on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 08:07:33 »
Hello people,

I was reading a lot lately and i stumble upon the Poker keyboard which i find pretty neat.

I have a few questions for you, maybe some of you can answer them (please?)

1 : Where to get one? I'm looking for a Brown MX with Black Keycaps (White layout) with an English Canadian Layout if possible ("Otaku" could be great too, i know the entire layout by heart so it would **** up people hard at my job and that would be pretty fun). I have found random sites but i'd rather ask rather than send my money randomly on the internet... Plus you guys know the deals.
2 : I have seen a lot of "v2" arround. Hence if there's multiple versions, what's the difference between them? (And is there a v3?)
3 : Explain "40%" please. Does it means Poker keyboards cover 40% of a full keyboard? @_@
4 : Any other additionals info/thread links would be appreciated. While i have read a little around maybe you guys can directly direct me to the interesting thread/pages.

Thanks.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
Re: Poker : Asking questions.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 08:20:31 »
1. Poker 2 is available at Qtan's store in ebay. go to vendors then elite e-sports equipment for more info. I don't know about Poker X (thats the v1). As far as I know Pokers only have ANSI layout (not super sure here) just get some aftermarket keycaps for that :)

2. Poker 2 has a programmable function and different FN layout. It's arrow keys is at fn+w a s d unlike in Poker X (fn + right control, right app, right alt, right shift)

3. Poker is 60%, 60% is a layout (60% of full keyboard, thus the name)

4. Here is  a review of Poker 2 by WhiteFireDragon: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44118.msg932183#msg932183
    As for Poker X just a quick google search would lead you to some reviews :)

The biggest downside of Poker 2 (atleast for me) is the WASD arrow keys. You might need a month to get used to it, especially if you came from  full sized or TKLs :)
Other than that its good for its price.
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 08:26:24 »
40%, according to Jocelyn, is the Korean designation of what we call 60% boards. 40% refers to the board being 40% of the weight of a full size. 60% refers to the board being 60% of a full-size layout.

Poker X isn't programmable.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 09:14:03 »
Wow that was quick guys thanks! The answers are pretty good that's what i was looking for.

A little question, how heavy is 40% weight of a fullsize (Any units will do) ? I mean if it's light enough i'll bring the keyboard at my office in the morning it's going to be much better than the one they lent me (Dell SK-8115).

The thread will still be in my "Watched" threads. I'll be glad if anyone has some more links for additional readings.
Thanks again i'll try to procure myself a Poker.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 09:17:02 »
I've never weighed any of my boards so I have no idea. I imagine you could Google it. WFD's review might also have a weight.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 09:25:25 »
A little question, how heavy is 40% weight of a fullsize (Any units will do) ? I mean if it's light enough i'll bring the keyboard at my office in the morning it's going to be much better than the one they lent me (Dell SK-8115).

They keyboards are crazy light compared to a full-size. The addition of a plate with the Poker II increases the weight a little bit, but you'll still be amazed at how light they are.

Also, I'd recommend that you check out MechanicalKeyboards.com for a Poker II. They are priced well and shipping is included. link.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 09:52:14 »

They keyboards are crazy light compared to a full-size. The addition of a plate with the Poker II increases the weight a little bit, but you'll still be amazed at how light they are.

Also, I'd recommend that you check out MechanicalKeyboards.com for a Poker II. They are priced well and shipping is included. link.

To be fair, TechKeys are slightly higher (shipping also included) http://techkeys.us/collections/keyboards/products/poker-2

But the TechKeys units ship with an extra Plain Space bar, and I have secretly been including a Metallic Poker 4 key mod set :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 09:53:32 »
But what if I want to enjoy my feeling?

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 09:54:36 »
But what if I want to enjoy my feeling?

Well I sure as hell do...but you have a choice :)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 10:23:08 »
I have both Poker X (v.1) and Poker II (v.2) keyboards.  If you want to change the keyboard layout to English Canadian, get the Poker II.  It is programmable, and frankly a better keyboard.

It does, unfortunately, come with some dopey branding on the spacebar, so buying it from Techkeys to get the matching blank spacebar is a good idea.  All three vendors mentioned above are good guys, however, and their prices differ by less than the price of a latte from Starbucks.

You will have to choose switch type.  At least Red (non-tactile), Blue (loud clicky), and Brown (quiet tactile) are available.  I have Brown, but switch choice is very much a matter of preference.

You will easily be able to carry a Poker back and forth in a bag, case, knapsack, or probably a lunchbox.  They are amazingly small compared to a full-size keyboard.

You will need to train yourself to press the Fn (function) key to activate arrows, Insert, End, F5, and any oher keys that are not physically on the keyboard.  This will be hard or easy depending on you and your brain.  One more thing in favor of the Poker II is that you can reprogram the Fn keys if you want to move them around on the keyboard.  And because the programming is done on the keyboard, it will remain in place when you move it between PCs.

Finally, because it uses standard Cherry MX switches, you can buy blank 'Otaku' keycaps easily from the vendors listed or from eBay.  The Poker II even comes with a nice keycap puller to make that easy to do.

Good luck!

- Ron I samwisekoi

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:53:01 »
There's something i don't really understand. Let's say i want a Poker 2 keyboard, "Poker 2" isn't a brand right?

I mean can i get a Leopold Poker 2 keyboard with Brown MX? Is that possible and will it have all the features from the same Poker 2 keyboard from another brand?

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:54:12 »
Poker is the name of the keyboard.  Vortex is the brand of the keyboard.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:55:19 »
Poker is the name of the keyboard.  Vortex is the brand of the keyboard.

There's only Vortex doing Poker II Keyboards? If not, what are the other brands and is there any difference between them?

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:58:12 »
i think KBC and Vortex both make Poker II boards if i am not mistaken. KBC certainly made the first poker, and so did Vortex.

The weight argument is invalid since everyone has to put a aluminum case and plate on all their keyboards...right?! My 60% boards will never sit on plastic!!! muhahahaha
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 12:13:32 »
i think KBC and Vortex both make Poker II boards if i am not mistaken. KBC certainly made the first poker, and so did Vortex.

The weight argument is invalid since everyone has to put a aluminum case and plate on all their keyboards...right?! My 60% boards will never sit on plastic!!! muhahahaha

Any difference between KBC and Vortex Keyboard?

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 14:30:37 »

Any difference between KBC and Vortex Keyboard?

KBC is a Chinese keyboard community (http://www.likeyboard.com/) and some of their members are the ones that originally designed the keyboard. Much like how the GH60 is a GeekHack community keyboard. Vortex is the company that manufacturer's the keyboard and Poker X (the original) and Poker II are the brand names of the keyboard.

Hope that helps!

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 08:17:00 »
I'll have to wait for next paycheck to buy myself another new keyboard :(

I'll order only in two days ::::::(((((((

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX