Author Topic: [GB] Octagon 75% Kustom Keyboard  (Read 219654 times)

Offline tbc

Re: [GB] Octagon 75% Kustom Keyboard
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:09:19 »
^ what he said.

if there is hard anodization for silver.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:12:00 »
Yeah man any color would be fine TBH just as long as its hard anodized. It just becomes exponentially better than a basic soft anodized case.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:17:45 »
I don't think silver could be hard anodized.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:22:30 »
Only specific colors can be used for the hard anodized process and there should be a list online of what aluminum could be hard anodized to. I'm not sure if silver is one of them though.

Offline pasph

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:27:22 »
Waiting for news about Alps option
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #155 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 17:53:16 »
Only specific colors can be used for the hard anodized process and there should be a list online of what aluminum could be hard anodized to. I'm not sure if silver is one of them though.
TYPE III "Hard Coating"
Color will vary from light tan to black depending on alloy and thickness. Color overtones listed below may vary with the use of additives and/or the process. Can be dyed in darker colors depending on thickness. [...]
Meaning the best you will probably be able to do on these is a 'Titanium'-ish colour but it depends on the alloy being used.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline elton5354

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 19:39:48 »
About the ALPs..they can offer only one layout and no plate because they would have to make samples and testing of PCBs and plates. That would cost them a lot of money and time.  If people still want ALPs, you would need to figure which one layout you want.

I've spoke about other colours and hard anodizing before but they will offer only what is offered right now.

Offline user888

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 05:17:11 »
@elton5354 Thanks for the update. Is 02d 1.6.419 (mentioned here: http://duck0113.tistory.com/109) already available for download, so we can start thinking about our layers (waiting is half the fun, right?)

Does anyone know if the following is possible:
* Define an Fn key on the normal layer which switches to a temporary layer (eg hold Fn1 = layer 1, release = normal layer)
* Define an Fn key on layer 1 which toggles layer 2 (Fn 2 = layer 2, Fn 2 again = normal layer again)

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 13:14:48 »
Bah, I'm in.

Paid off my credit card balances this month to buy this.

Ready for invoice!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
null

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 04:34:42 »
About the ALPs..they can offer only one layout and no plate because they would have to make samples and testing of PCBs and plates. That would cost them a lot of money and time.  If people still want ALPs, you would need to figure which one layout you want.

I've spoke about other colours and hard anodizing before but they will offer only what is offered right now.

Is there an MOQ for Alps? I prefer Winkey type 2 but I'm sure others prefer different options.

Something that can be complimented by the Alps DCS keyset would be a good idea.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62274.0
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 November 2014, 04:37:22 by Heliosphere »

Offline user888

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 07:21:14 »
New 02D KeyMapping software: http://duck0113.tistory.com/84

Version 1.6.456

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 10:16:13 »
Does anyone have a link to the drawings and dimensions of the acrylic inserts?
null

Offline elton5354

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 14:58:34 »

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 16:16:19 »
New 02D KeyMapping software: http://duck0113.tistory.com/84

Version 1.6.456
I see the Light Pad config still hasn't changed.
The macro function doesn't seem to work.

If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline user888

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 04:53:30 »
Hi guys,

Are costar stabilizers not possible at all, or not possible when using a led for that switch?
I'm having a hard time find cherry pcb-mounted stabilizers...

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡ˇᴥ ͡ˇ ʔ
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 16:58:21 »
Hi guys,

Are costar stabilizers not possible at all, or not possible when using a led for that switch?
I'm having a hard time find cherry pcb-mounted stabilizers...

You can get them from GON's website though I'm not sure if it's worth it if you're getting it shipped with anything else.  :-[
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 22:25:59 »
Thinking hard about dipping into my savings account for this, as long as it's still open.  Any suggestions for case colour to go with the GMK Dolch in the meantime?  Likely going to pull the trigger before the end of the week.

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 22:28:54 »
Thinking hard about dipping into my savings account for this, as long as it's still open.  Any suggestions for case colour to go with the GMK Dolch in the meantime?  Likely going to pull the trigger before the end of the week.

The black case seems to fit the dolch best based on the photos provided.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 22:38:46 »

The black case seems to fit the dolch best based on the photos provided.

Blue grey goes nice with the Dolch too!
null

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 23:49:51 »

Check it out yourself in this set of images: http://duck0113.tistory.com/103

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 00:09:39 »
if you're using vanilla Dolch, i think a silver or red case would bring the most color contrast. if you have colored ESCs or mods then i prefer Blue Grey (black doesn't stand out in any way). important to note, Duck's photos don't look to me like they have consistent lighting/color filters

Offline swornxin

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 00:47:44 »

Check it out yourself in this set of images: http://duck0113.tistory.com/103
Awesome! Thanks for the link. I've got the colour pack coming with the Dolch too, so maybe the blue gray would be nice?

FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline user888

What is everybody buying as keycaps?
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 02:03:18 »
@pichu23 Thanks for pointing me to the GON site, didn't know that one. Shipment is not even that steep (to EU).

What is everybody buying as keycaps? DSA because the steep incline of the keyboard? Or full-profile DCS or SA?

I'm undecided between a plain simple look (less is more) or a full retro look. For the less is more I would go for the Dolch color scheme but with blank keys. I can't stand the printscreen/scrollock/pause legacy keys and also find the upperleft alignment of characters annoying :) Does anyone know a place to get blank Dolch DCS keys (PBT, but not to tightly shrinked).

For the full retro-look I really hope the Symbiosis keyset will become reality: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/symbiosis/#comment-5381
I even will accept those printscreen/scrollock/pause in that case :) But it needs to come with a 1.75 shift... and and and SUPER/META/HYPER keys. The Symbiosis is planned with all keys being row 3 SA, so it won't add up to the incline of the keyboard, but it does to the overall height.

Offline feizor

« Reply #173 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 04:02:17 »
@pichu23 Thanks for pointing me to the GON site, didn't know that one. Shipment is not even that steep (to EU).

What is everybody buying as keycaps? DSA because the steep incline of the keyboard? Or full-profile DCS or SA?

I'm undecided between a plain simple look (less is more) or a full retro look. For the less is more I would go for the Dolch color scheme but with blank keys. I can't stand the printscreen/scrollock/pause legacy keys and also find the upperleft alignment of characters annoying :) Does anyone know a place to get blank Dolch DCS keys (PBT, but not to tightly shrinked).

For the full retro-look I really hope the Symbiosis keyset will become reality: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/symbiosis/#comment-5381
I even will accept those printscreen/scrollock/pause in that case :) But it needs to come with a 1.75 shift... and and and SUPER/META/HYPER keys. The Symbiosis is planned with all keys being row 3 SA, so it won't add up to the incline of the keyboard, but it does to the overall height.

I tried DSA on my viper, didn't like it much.

I think for steep incline, you need sculpted profile, not flat like DSA.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 08:25:26 »
Damn the board looks so nice!

Wish I can afford one at the moment.

Trading keycaps + headphones + pens for one :P

Offline user888

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 08:52:20 »
I tried DSA on my viper, didn't like it much.
I think for steep incline, you need sculpted profile, not flat like DSA.

Really? I assumed a profile like SA or DCS would even add to the steep incline, as every row further away is a little bit higher that the former.

Offline Data

« Reply #176 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 09:34:42 »
I will probably put Pulse on this.  I'd like to put 7bit's Round 5a on it but who knows when that will ship?

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: What is everybody buying as keycaps?
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 10:34:54 »

TaiHao Dolch OEM profile until I can get a nice set of BSP Cherry profile PBT.

(Will be putting TaiHao Granite OEM on my GON HHKB ubtil I can get a set of SP DSA Granites)

Honestly I think the incline is fine for stepped profiles. I feel like a keyboard built like a tank like this one looks weird with DSA profile caps.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 November 2014, 10:37:00 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline pmh1410

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 11:21:43 »
Paid, Many thanks Elton ;)
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club

Keyboards Collection: Powered by OTD
TKL: 360C Hyper Silver, Cheat B/R/B
Mini: 356mini Red, Duck Poker + 38GT.

Offline MrChunky

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 13:15:23 »
I would like to second any notion of running another buy for acrylic inserts. I already have a lightsaver and an eagle. Unfortunately I missed the last buy because I didn't check the thread of the viper eagle buy at the right time. Could you organise something like this for us elton? I would really appreciate it.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 13:20:57 »
I would like to second any notion of running another buy for acrylic inserts. I already have a lightsaver and an eagle. Unfortunately I missed the last buy because I didn't check the thread of the viper eagle buy at the right time. Could you organise something like this for us elton? I would really appreciate it.

Another option we have is to take the .dwg file to a local machining shop (or if you're lucky, the community fab lab) and just get an insert laser cut or CNCed.

If you do have a local community fab lab, you'd just pay the cost of the materials or use scrapped acrylic pieces for free (nonetheless, acrylic sheets are super cheap) and the use of the machines would be free (paid for by local taxes and donations).

On the other hand, if your only choice is a machine shop, you have a wider selection of materials - potentially polycarbonate, which is almost impossible to work with using the machines typically available at fab labs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 November 2014, 11:14:02 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
Re: What is everybody buying as keycaps?
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 18:42:23 »
Show Image

Sorry bout the crappy quality. I realllyyy need to learn how to take proper pics.  :confused:

This makes me so ****ing excited for my gon mobik.

DCS is garbage, try Cherry profile.
I have a lsv2 which is the same angle. I don't mind DSA but Cherry is my pref on this board. I like them equally under flatter circumstances.
SA isn't bad but it just feels better sculpted.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #182 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 17:10:45 »
What is everybody buying as keycaps?

WoB Cherry set

Offline Mesort

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 19:39:11 »
When i buy this, a whole finished keyboard do i have to build this?. What parts i need?

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #184 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 19:51:14 »
When i buy this, a whole finished keyboard do i have to build this?. What parts i need?

Need:
Switches
Stabilizers
Keycaps
USB cable

Optional:
Stickers
LEDs
Lube

Offline tbc

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 20:03:35 »
also need soldering equipment or an assembler

Offline swornxin

« Reply #186 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 22:04:28 »
Be honest with me... How difficult is this going to be for me with little soldering experience? I've repaired guitar pedals before, and soldered speakers into cabinets before, but that's about it. Will I be able to handle a keyboard build?

FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline tbc

« Reply #187 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 22:11:52 »
honestly, that sounds WAYYYY harder  than a keyboard.  each switch is 2 joints and they're REALLY far apart.  it is also impossible to insert the switch the wrong way and get polarities mixed up

Offline Ripudio

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 00:06:02 »
I've literally soldered....never before my first keyboard. If you have the right tools then its a breeze (good solder and proper size tip).

Offline frostylove

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 14:02:57 »
Sent my order request through and waiting for my invoice :)
Suhr Custom Standard Carve Top
Manson DL-1 Matt Bellamy Signature
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A
Lovepedal Kanji Enternity

Offline adrl

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 19:28:24 »
Be honest with me... How difficult is this going to be for me with little soldering experience? I've repaired guitar pedals before, and soldered speakers into cabinets before, but that's about it. Will I be able to handle a keyboard build?

I've never done a full keyboard before and I managed to construct a viper.

Soldering takes minimal skill but a lot of patience. (I even have a build log :o )

If you have any troubles, I'm located downtown Toronto.

Offline DzyDzyDino

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 00:22:57 »
I've never owned a Duck anything before, what does it use to do its keymapping/layout editing? Does it come with software? Is there a link to software? It says it supports RGB LEDs, to what extent can you control the LEDs? Is there software that handles this?

Also... I don't suppose there's any chance of somehow getting PCB mount stabs + stab wires involved/included is there? ... stabs are so unavailable from anywhere without absurd shipping T_T;; I'm lusting after this board and I really wanna pull the trigger... but with GON's Nerd MX-Mini just released...
I'll just feel incredibly stupid paying shipping twice from korea (once for stabs and once for this)...

Eventually my keyboard lust will get to me and I'll pull the trigger on this. I know it. Every time I look at that case... Especially RED... with that blueish silver coming in second... but red red red... Is red still an option? If it's not, it makes my decision making a whole lot easier.... :)

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 01:40:17 »
I've never owned a Duck anything before, what does it use to do its keymapping/layout editing? Does it come with software? Is there a link to software? It says it supports RGB LEDs, to what extent can you control the LEDs? Is there software that handles this?

Also... I don't suppose there's any chance of somehow getting PCB mount stabs + stab wires involved/included is there? ... stabs are so unavailable from anywhere without absurd shipping T_T;; I'm lusting after this board and I really wanna pull the trigger... but with GON's Nerd MX-Mini just released...
I'll just feel incredibly stupid paying shipping twice from korea (once for stabs and once for this)...

Eventually my keyboard lust will get to me and I'll pull the trigger on this. I know it. Every time I look at that case... Especially RED... with that blueish silver coming in second... but red red red... Is red still an option? If it's not, it makes my decision making a whole lot easier.... :)

It does have editing software via the "More Info" link on the OP. Red is of course an option.

Offline DzyDzyDino

« Reply #193 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 10:34:04 »
OK awesome. I missed that the first time. I see it now. Do they just provide a link then when you purchase it, or was the link there?

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #194 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 12:00:06 »
OK awesome. I missed that the first time. I see it now. Do they just provide a link then when you purchase it, or was the link there?
The link was there in the beginning. I would bookmark that website just to be safe.

Offline cannonking

« Reply #195 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 16:21:56 »
Finally paid  :thumb:.

Offline swornxin

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 21:33:51 »
Just submitted my order.  I hesitated for a bit, but I think I'm ready.  Haha.  Blue grey case for me.  Should look nice with Ivan's Dolch & colour pack.

Hopefully after Christmas I'll be ordering switches, stabs and LEDs.  Maybe some of you fine folks can point in a good direction for that stuff later on!
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 November 2014, 21:35:22 by swornxin »

FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline aaronz8

« Reply #197 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 22:25:35 »
Is this keyboard programmable? Will the source code be released? How would I be able to set keymappings for different layers? (Sorry, complete noob here)

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 22:26:26 »
Is this keyboard programmable? Will the source code be released? How would I be able to set keymappings for different layers? (Sorry, complete noob here)

http://duck0113.tistory.com/84

Offline Data

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 10:22:35 »
So...  Presumably production begins soon.   :D