Author Topic: Favorite chair  (Read 4267 times)

Offline typo

Favorite chair
« on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 00:12:48 »
I just wanted to tell you guys I finally found a great chair. I am very large. Really too big for the Embody and was never comfortable. Then I used an Eames for a long time but it is really a lounge chair. Not an office chair. So finally about 8 months ago I went to an office liquidation auction. I got a Hon Resolution mid back in Suede for $150. It is not actualy a big mans chair but it is a 24 hour chair. Has adjustments galore. This was a $3,800 chair.  in fabric it was more like $1,300. now I can kick myself(or sell) my miller chairs. The Embody is a great chair. I am just too big for it. Forget new Hon chairs they are pure junk. Finally I am comfortable 14 hours a day coding. I cannot say if it offers proper ergonomics because I am not a Doctor. I can say I am now very comfortable. The Embody was pinching me of course. The Eames was making my butt go numb. I can't believe I spent that on miller chairs and got my best one for $150. Of course had I bought it new it was nearly 4 grand. It was delivered virtually unused. This is probably a very good chair to find used for a real big guy. It is only rated 300# but hon told me it will hold 800# no problem. No, I do not weigh 800# lol.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Favorite chair
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 05:49:13 »
I used to get stressed out about chairs.

Then I started incorporating standing computer use into my puter' routine..

And,  Now, my back doesn't hurt anymore..

Remember going from those 12" crts  to the first 17" lcd..

The difference is that large..

A better chair helps.. but nothing can change the fact that hip rotation while seated puts the lower spine out of alignment...  it's only a matter of time before the pain sets in..    Now give it a few years, get fat,  soon enough you're in a wheel chair...

//best of luck.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 09:45:12 »
After trying the Aaeron, I ended up settling on the Steelcase Leap. That thing is absolutley perfect for me.

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 22:04:17 »
This is true for sure. The Human Skeleton was designed to stand erect. Sitting may seem comfortable until you break yourself. We never learn though.
I decided to add the following. Humans were designed to stand erect but in essence it was a bad design choice. Those Animals that walk on all Fours do not suffer many of the issues humans do. Like OOOh, my back! 

Also, that SteelCaae looks nice. It is not as advanced as the Embody but looks less restrictive.  Forget the Aeron, I hate it even though it comes in large.

I am very large but not fat! I weigh 360# but I am 7'4+. Please no Basketball comments. I am just a big nerd, suck at hoops. Doctorate from M.I.T.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 00:48:05 by typo »

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 03:52:59 »
I use the Steelcase criterion, it's nothing too fancy, but I got it at a good price and it's pretty comfortable to me.

I couldn't imagine being 7'4 or larger, I'm glad you found something that suits you, I imagine finding things that fit you comfortably is a bit difficult when you are so tall.

Care to spare a few inches? I could use a few at 5'6.  :))

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 04:12:08 »
I like nice cloths but I have to shop at DXL. The NBA players have their clothes custom made because they make millions. It is difficult. I had to buy a old huge Mercedes because I could not possibly afford this one new. I will gladly give you a foot lol. That is the thing about the chair though. The Embody is made up to like 5' 10". I was very lucky to get this chair for $150. Their are still cloth ones on clearance for like $650. The Eames is fancy and expensive. However that much cushion can actually cause pain. Plus just because of my height I weigh 360#. This is actually a very robust chair. The new Hon's are all plastic junk. I am sure it is no different than a top of the line StelCase or any other brand. I don't complain though. You kind of get used to your own body no matter what size it is. Ever see that 600LB show lol. New people do not expect that I am a nerd though. I even have a Linux doll!

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 06:09:07 »
Another vote for the Steelcase Leap. Awesome chair, built like a tank, insanely adjustable, and looks really nice.

I got my current one from eBay, where they're actually reasonably priced, or watch for office liquidations.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 07:34:34 »
Maybe mock up a temporary standing computer station at home to give it a go..

If you got lots of upper body weight.. gotta do some resistance core muscle workouts to ease that transition into the upright posture.

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 08:28:27 »
I do have a rising desk but don't use that feature enough. I run so pretty evenly distributed.

Do you guy's think this SteelCase is as nice as the Embody and would fit me? Like I said forget about the Aeron. I don't like that chair. The Embody is a fine chair but it does not fit me. The Eames is something different altogether.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 09:20:53 »
I have a rising desk which really helps.   A 6'6" guy shouldn't be seated at the same height as a tiny 5' tall person.   I use this one:

http://www.thehumansolution.com/stand-up-desk-with-reclaimed-wood-top.html

And I swear by this chair:

http://store.steelcase.com/seating/office-chairs/leap

Replaced all of our kitchen chairs with Leap V2.   By far the most comfortable, adjustable chair I've sat in!! 

Offline steve.v

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 06:12:13 »
Go with a herman miller Aeron, you won't regret it. I tried many top chairs, aeron beats all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk