Author Topic: [IC] GMK Protostar  (Read 34362 times)

Offline Heist Morty

• MD.Doof
    • Mascis Designs
Re: [IC] GMK Protostar
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 19:58:17 »
The set doesn't look bad, but I'm having trouble assimilating the similarities to the source material.

Offline Trivent

• Trivent Keyboards
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 20:01:57 »
Absolute banger. Hyped about this

Offline thelateclacker

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 20:16:24 »
Concepts 1.1 and 1.2 look pretty good as well, but as far as the inspiration I think maybe it's moving further away from the whole space battles theme?  I'm thinkin Star Trek phasers/cannons/beams etc and Star Wars sabers, lasers, etc.

I see where it might be kind of hard to strike that balance though to avoid the similarities with the Oblivion set. 

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 20:18:28 »
The set doesn't look bad, but I'm having trouble assimilating the similarities to the source material.

Would you mind reiterating? I don't fully understand the question. Are you referring to the differences between concept versions?

Thanks

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 20:20:18 »
1.1 > 1.2
But if u render the alphas in the muted colours 1.2 may work better.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 20:22:40 »
Concepts 1.1 and 1.2 look pretty good as well, but as far as the inspiration I think maybe it's moving further away from the whole space battles theme?  I'm thinkin Star Trek phasers/cannons/beams etc and Star Wars sabers, lasers, etc.

I see where it might be kind of hard to strike that balance though to avoid the similarities with the Oblivion set.

This might be what the other person was talking about.

Yeah I agree. I'm hoping that as we inch closer to a final design, the inspiration and the set will match enough and from there establish somewhat of a connection. Like Mario and video games.

But who knows! We'll have to see where things go and adjust if need be.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 20:24:23 »
1.1 > 1.2

As in muted grey legends on alphas or the muted colors of the mod legends sweeping across the alphas keys?

Thanks for the input

Offline Qwertle

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 20:29:38 »
Still love 1.1 over 1.2! I like the contrast, mod legends in 1.2 seem to match a bit too closely but this is my personal preference! Definitely like the iterations over time, breath of fresh air

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 20:37:08 »
Still love 1.1 over 1.2! I like the contrast, mod legends in 1.2 seem to match a bit too closely but this is my personal preference! Definitely like the iterations over time, breath of fresh air

We'll be trying to find the sweet spot so stick around for the future iterations as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline baccaan

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 22:01:25 »
I think esc and Tab should have different colors. I'd swap esc wit the color on alt or super.

Offline Kajoler

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 22:22:20 »
I think esc and Tab should have different colors. I'd swap esc wit the color on alt or super.

^Agree with the 1st sentence.

alsooo 1.1 > 1.3 > others. I prefer 1.1 just a wee bit more because I like the color sequence going on there, both great tho.
>:0

Offline KKoNaM

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 22:59:21 »
really like 1.3. the cool tone of colors gradation is satisfying

Offline wirex

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 23:01:40 »
1.3 is my fav

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 00:55:21 »
1.1 > 1.2

As in muted grey legends on alphas or the muted colors of the mod legends sweeping across the alphas keys?

Thanks for the input

I’m thinking replacing the grey of the alphas with the muted colours (not the legend, but the keycap).

1.1 > 1.3 still

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 01:32:08 »
Agreed. I was eying that as well.

Will see what I can come up with.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 01:34:13 »

alsooo 1.1 > 1.3 > others. I prefer 1.1 just a wee bit more because I like the color sequence going on there, both great tho.

Is it the presence of the warmer colors up top that's causing you to lean more in favor of the 1.1 concept?

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 01:34:56 »
really like 1.3. the cool tone of colors gradation is satisfying

Awesome thanks for the input

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 01:35:31 »
1.3 is my fav

Fantastic thanks for the input

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 01:36:46 »
1.1 > 1.2

Thanks for the input

I’m thinking replacing the grey of the alphas with the muted colours (not the legend, but the keycap).

1.1 > 1.3 still

Gotcha. Will experiment with the idea.

Thanks for the feedback

Offline VXQN

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 03:20:19 »
I'm really pleased to see that this thread is bucking the trend of hostility to less fleshed-out ideas and people are actually offering constructive feedback. It's rare to see an idea go through early-stages collaborative iteration on here.

I kinda like...all of the options but I think 1.3 is pretty neat.

Offline Kajoler

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 03:35:23 »

Is it the presence of the warmer colors up top that's causing you to lean more in favor of the 1.1 concept?

Yeah exactly it.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 12:34:27 »
I'm really pleased to see that this thread is bucking the trend of hostility to less fleshed-out ideas and people are actually offering constructive feedback. It's rare to see an idea go through early-stages collaborative iteration on here.

I kinda like...all of the options but I think 1.3 is pretty neat.

I think it was more that this idea in the 1.0 stage was basically Oblivion haha  :))

I'll chalk up another one for 1.3.

Thanks for the input

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 12:35:07 »

Yeah exactly it.

Noted. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline thelateclacker

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 13:51:08 »
Some thoughts/ideas to play around with maybe:

I was also thinking maybe if the mods were colored instead of the gray whether that would look good or not.  Since a lot of times those lasers are mostly white in the middle and the color is on the outside.  No idea on the aesthetics since that would mean taking away the darkness of space and instead replace it with something more like kiddy coloring blocks lol.  Also something like white legends on a colored keycap would be kinda hard to read due to the contrast (also not sure if that's possible depending on the type of keycap process like doubleshot or dyesub?).

What if the colored legends on the mods were a bit brighter more like neon to stand out a bit more instead of the more muted colors? 

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 17:13:08 »
Some thoughts/ideas to play around with maybe:

I was also thinking maybe if the mods were colored instead of the gray whether that would look good or not.  Since a lot of times those lasers are mostly white in the middle and the color is on the outside.  No idea on the aesthetics since that would mean taking away the darkness of space and instead replace it with something more like kiddy coloring blocks lol.  Also something like white legends on a colored keycap would be kinda hard to read due to the contrast (also not sure if that's possible depending on the type of keycap process like doubleshot or dyesub?).

What if the colored legends on the mods were a bit brighter more like neon to stand out a bit more instead of the more muted colors?

Just did some drafts that may cover the point regarding the brighter legends as opposed to the muted scheme. Will post shortly.

Will experiment with the colored mods. Like you're saying, I think we may start heading into the children's blocks territory, but who knows! I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks for the input.

Offline Beerbezerker

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 17:33:06 »
v1.0 & 1.1 for me!

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 17:38:45 »
v1.0 & 1.1 for me!

Unfortunately 1.0 is no longer in the running due to similarities with other sets. But I'll chalk up another one for 1.1

Thanks for the input

Offline baccaan

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 18:20:05 »
The sequential color gradation addresses my concerns about 1.3 and earlier. Two comments:
  • I liked the previous iterations when the colors were mixed around - it gave off a more interesting look (closer to an IDE color scheme-based set, which I do like). Which leads to my next comment...
  • If you plan on using custom colors, be prepared for a lot of color matching (5 from the modifier legends alone), which, given the current debacle that is Dracula, is concerning. I would decide early on if you intend on using stock GMK colors or want to go the custom route. Just food for thought.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 19:37:25 »
The sequential color gradation addresses my concerns about 1.3 and earlier. Two comments:
  • I liked the previous iterations when the colors were mixed around - it gave off a more interesting look (closer to an IDE color scheme-based set, which I do like). Which leads to my next comment...
  • If you plan on using custom colors, be prepared for a lot of color matching (5 from the modifier legends alone), which, given the current debacle that is Dracula, is concerning. I would decide early on if you intend on using stock GMK colors or want to go the custom route. Just food for thought.

Thanks for all of your feedback so far baccaan.

And yes I've been planning for the disco party that is going to be color matching  :thumb:. Will be doing my best to process this set as smoothly as possible if it gets to that stage.

Offline Mlen

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 22:46:41 »
I like this color scheme more than the sets that others are comparing this with.  Biggest fan of 1.4A right now! looking forward to seeing more fleshed out kitting.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 00:49:35 »
I like this color scheme more than the sets that others are comparing this with.  Biggest fan of 1.4A right now! looking forward to seeing more fleshed out kitting.

Awesome, thanks for the input

Offline Protato

• Potato
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 11:27:32 »
Is there an estimated GB date?

Too early to say at this point. I'd like to get everyone's feedback, work on it and then we'll be able to see if it's fit or a GB

Thank you!
I drowned in those ocean eyes.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 13:02:48 »
Is there an estimated GB date?

Too early to say at this point. I'd like to get everyone's feedback, work on it and then we'll be able to see if it's fit or a GB

Thank you!

No problem buddy

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 20:21:25 »
After hanging out in this post for a while and see the new version coming out, I still prefer the 1.1 version ;)

Offline RoyalOak88

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 05:10:19 »
After hanging out in this post for a while and see the new version coming out, I still prefer the 1.1 version ;)

Feel the same way as you, although (personal preference) I would change the greenish colors of Crtl, Super and ALT to a more yellowish ones.
Either way 1.1 continues to be the best IMO.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 12:42:23 »

Do you think there are any specific reasons why 1.1 continues to stand out for you?

Thanks for your feedback

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 12:45:39 »

Feel the same way as you, although (personal preference) I would change the greenish colors of Crtl, Super and ALT to a more yellowish ones.

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you personally like greens colors that lean towards yellow or is it something about the color sequence that makes you feel that a yellowish green would be more appropriate?

Offline thelateclacker

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 17:43:45 »
For me I do like green with a hit of yellow like a lime green.  (In fact my current RGB profile is all solid lime green lol)
But I also feel like the yellowish green would provide a hit of contrast versus the other colors which overall are a bit more chill. 

At the moment I like v1.1 or v1.3 the best.  Maybe leaning towards v1.1 in terms of space battle feel, though tbh v1.3 is also quite nice I just feel it's a little less space battle-y to me.  The cyan colors look pretty nice too in the latest renders.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 19:38:06 »
For me I do like green with a hit of yellow like a lime green.  (In fact my current RGB profile is all solid lime green lol)
But I also feel like the yellowish green would provide a hit of contrast versus the other colors which overall are a bit more chill. 

At the moment I like v1.1 or v1.3 the best.  Maybe leaning towards v1.1 in terms of space battle feel, though tbh v1.3 is also quite nice I just feel it's a little less space battle-y to me.  The cyan colors look pretty nice too in the latest renders.

1. Do you think that a more well rounded color sequence with representation from across the spectrum is more pleasing vs a one sided cool or warm?

2. Do you think that 1.1 feels more space battle-y to you because the colors pop more?

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Linktree
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 01:59:57 »

Do you think there are any specific reasons why 1.1 continues to stand out for you?

Thanks for your feedback
Reason I like the 1.1 the most is because the mods has the most color i guess? The newer mods scale from purple-ish to blue-ish but 1.1 scale from green-ish color which imo look better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RoyalOak88

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 09:37:23 »

Do you personally like greens colors that lean towards yellow or is it something about the color sequence that makes you feel that a yellowish green would be more appropriate?

For me is more the connection of color with the purple and blues of the other keys.
I like the green, but I think that if the Control key was more yellowish (like a lime green) and then Super and Alt start gradient towards yellow would pop off a little more. Just personal preference.
This is also why I gravitate towards 1.1, I think overall it has more colors, staying pleasant to the eyes and in line with the theme.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 21:10:45 »

Thanks for your feedback
Reason I like the 1.1 the most is because the mods has the most color i guess? The newer mods scale from purple-ish to blue-ish but 1.1 scale from green-ish color which imo look better

I understand

Thanks for your input  :thumb:

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 21:11:23 »

For me is more the connection of color with the purple and blues of the other keys.
I like the green, but I think that if the Control key was more yellowish (like a lime green) and then Super and Alt start gradient towards yellow would pop off a little more. Just personal preference.
This is also why I gravitate towards 1.1, I think overall it has more colors, staying pleasant to the eyes and in line with the theme.

Got it

Thanks for your input  :thumb:

Offline thelateclacker

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 22:51:14 »

1. Do you think that a more well rounded color sequence with representation from across the spectrum is more pleasing vs a one sided cool or warm?

2. Do you think that 1.1 feels more space battle-y to you because the colors pop more?

1. I think having more color representation would fit the theme more.  Not to say that the one sided cool or warm is a bad look, I actually think it's a lovely color gradient, but it might be more suited for a different theme (like a "colors of wintery dusk" type of thing), but doesn't fit the space battle theme as well in my opinion.

2. I do think 1.1 feels more representative of the theme because of more color variation, and more pop.  It might pop even more with higher saturation.

Offline KKoNaM

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 23:09:40 »
1.4s are fine but I hope you keep the color saturation from 1.3. they look much more visible on dark grey and nicer IMO

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 14:06:30 »

1. I think having more color representation would fit the theme more.  Not to say that the one sided cool or warm is a bad look, I actually think it's a lovely color gradient, but it might be more suited for a different theme (like a "colors of wintery dusk" type of thing), but doesn't fit the space battle theme as well in my opinion.

2. I do think 1.1 feels more representative of the theme because of more color variation, and more pop.  It might pop even more with higher saturation.

Got it.

Just posted up v2.0.

Let me know what you think and thanks for your input so far

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 14:08:39 »
1.4s are fine but I hope you keep the color saturation from 1.3. they look much more visible on dark grey and nicer IMO

Got it.

Just posted v2.0. Let me know what you think compared to 1.3. And thanks for your input.

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Linktree
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 22:34:29 »
Nice, just saw the v2, Its pretty nice but I still like the 1.1 more, also please make IC form too so we can actually have a input directly

Offline Kajoler

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 23:55:48 »
I also like 1.1 the most so far :thumb:

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 15:38:00 »
I also like 1.1 the most so far :thumb:

Working on something for the 1.1 crowd. Can't say it'll be exactly the same as 1.1, but will try within reason as we progress.

Thanks again for your input.  :thumb: