Author Topic: Split Spacebar  (Read 3806 times)

Offline unicomp

Split Spacebar
« on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 14:06:02 »
Are there any keyboards (particularly non-split-ergonomic ones) that allow for the two sides of the spacebar to be recognised as distinct keys?

I am intrigued as I have found that one of the nice features of the Kinesis contoured keyboard is the fact that the thumbs, which on a normal keyboard seem to be woefully underused, are brought into the action in a somewhat efficient manner.

I find that the backspace key is a rather large stretch and short of becoming 100% accurate I was thinking that it might be a nice idea if one could obtain such a board and then map one side of the spacebar to be recognised as backspace.

Offline Rajagra

Split Spacebar
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 17:20:17 »
"Erase eaze" keyboards do that.

The idea died off, despite the fact you could keep both parts as normal spacebars. People fear change.

You could use KeyTweak or similar to reprogram CapsLock to work as backspace. Works for me.

Edit> Spelt with a Z. I thought it was but google steered me away from that search.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 June 2010, 17:32:08 by Rajagra »

Offline hyperlinked

Split Spacebar
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 17:29:16 »
Quote from: unicomp;190979
I find that the backspace key is a rather large stretch and short of becoming 100% accurate I was thinking that it might be a nice idea if one could obtain such a board and then map one side of the spacebar to be recognised as backspace.

You can always remap the spacebar key to work with a modifier key. For example, on my keyboards, my caps lock is remapped to control and CTRL+space = 10-Key Enter Key. I use to to have quick access to the keypad enter key, which is distinct from the normal Return key in some programs like Photoshop.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline unicomp

Split Spacebar
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 17:37:56 »
The IBM M15 looks good. I suppose, like the use of QWERTY, this is something that is unlikely to change. It just seems to be nicer when one can have a more efficient use of the thumb.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Split Spacebar
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 18:45:42 »
If those Japanese keyboards weren't cream cheese, I'd have one.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS