Author Topic: ABS Double-shot Thickness  (Read 6521 times)

Offline amasokin

• KBD Lunatic
ABS Double-shot Thickness
« on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 10:51:14 »
Hi everyone,

I recently bought two different double shot ABS keysets: a classic grey/white keyset by GMK at Originative.com AND the Miami keyset by SP from the GH Groupbuy.

The GMK keyset is MUCH thicker than the SP keyset (and feels much better imo).

Why is that? Are all SP Doubleshot keysets this thin? Are all GMK Doubleshot keysets this thick? How can I know the keycaps' thickness in advance when I'm commiting into a Group Buy?

Is the thickness manufacturer-dependant?

If this is the case, where can I find GMK keycaps? Are Originative.com and EK the only ones selling them at the moment?

Thanks (and sorry for the really bad pics taken with a ****ty camera).
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 October 2013, 10:54:17 by amasokin »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: ABS Double-shot Thickness
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 10:55:35 »
It is manufacturer dependant,  as you say.

Most GB's are done through SP because they have a much lower MOQ where as GMK is just over 400 thus there are less GMK sets on the market.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 12:13:10 »
You can just ask about thickness when buying or entering group buys.  Most everyone will know what you mean by "are these thick or thin?"

Edit: In addition to Originative and EK, you can get GMK caps through IvanIvanovich's group buys.  There are also other thick keysets from various sources out there.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 October 2013, 12:16:26 by hashbaz »

Offline amasokin

• KBD Lunatic
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 13:53:26 »
Thank you very much for your answers.

So it is manufacturer dependant, but GMK are not the only one making thick keycaps.

I'll be sure to ask the question next time I participate in a group buy, I didn't know there was some kind of a norm for keycaps thickness. SP keycaps are perfectly fine but I do prefer thicker ones.

Thanks again.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 13:59:55 »
KBC (sold by imsto) makes thick PBT dyesub caps. BSP (sold by originative) makes thick PBT dyesubs caps too.

GMK owns the original Cherry doubleshot moulds, so you can find thick doubleshot ABS on many old Cherry keyboards (G80 and G81 series). You can also find thick PBTs made by BSP on some old Cherry keyboards (again, G80 and G81 series).
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline amasokin

• KBD Lunatic
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 14:05:43 »
Thanks for these precisions. I prefer Doubleshot ABS to Dyesub PBT though, but I'll be sure to remember those names.

I recently bought a Dolch PAC keyboard to a GH member, which should also have thick ABS caps then.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 14:12:02 »
SA profile (tall spherical) are made by SP, and those caps are quite thick as well.  DSA profile caps from SP are in-between in terms of thickness: thicker than the DSC profile you have in Miami but thinner than the thick GMK caps.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 14:37:20 »
Thanks for these precisions. I prefer Doubleshot ABS to Dyesub PBT though, but I'll be sure to remember those names.

I recently bought a Dolch PAC keyboard to a GH member, which should also have thick ABS caps then.
If it is a Dolch PAC that uses Cherry MX then yes, it will have original Cherry doubleshots (same moulds as the GMK keycaps you own).
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710