Author Topic: the feel of white caps compared to black caps  (Read 3268 times)

Offline alosec

the feel of white caps compared to black caps
« on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 22:23:09 »
I'm curious - can anyone else notice a difference? I have two boards: a fc660c and a 660m, one is black the other is white. In my opinion, the feel of the caps alone on the topre board are much better, while I feel like my finger feels a bit more 'awkward' on the white cap. I noticed the same thing between my white Filco caps and my black Leopold caps.

Is this all in my head?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: the feel of white caps compared to black caps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 22:27:19 »
Doesn't the fc660m have ABS caps?

edit: According to Elitekeyboards both the 660c and 660m have PBT keycaps. In that case I don't know why they'd feel any different. All the PBT caps I have feel the same.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2013, 22:28:54 by ComradeSniper »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 22:28:04 »
Racist thread

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 22:39:32 »
There would be no difference as they would all be made in the same mold, just with different coloured plastic.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 23:00:14 »
I noticed at least for Filco, the stock black keycaps feels a bit more solid than the stock white keycaps.

Not too sure if this applies to PBT also.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Austin Powers

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 23:23:10 »
Mosquitoes annoys me in the night. I never turn on the lights in my room because it my eyes can't take it. I even have black wallpaper for my desktop(completely black). Black keycaps got the feel of mosquito flying around my fingertips while the white feels nothing disturb me. I try to keep my periperals all colorful as possible while my monitor screen dark colors :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 23:54:26 »
Mosquitoes annoys me in the night. I never turn on the lights in my room because it my eyes can't take it. I even have black wallpaper for my desktop(completely black). Black keycaps got the feel of mosquito flying around my fingertips while the white feels nothing disturb me. I try to keep my periperals all colorful as possible while my monitor screen dark colors :D

That is an ... interesting observation.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 00:48:17 »
Placebo.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 03:41:53 »
Someone should do a blindfold test - two identical keyboards, one with black and one with white keycaps.  Same material.  Same legends.

And see if you actually can tell the difference.

Mine you, you'd have to do this for a few people and different boards maybe.

Offline Austin Powers

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 03:53:15 »
Someone should do a blindfold test - two identical keyboards, one with black and one with white keycaps.  Same material.  Same legends.

And see if you actually can tell the difference.

Mine you, you'd have to do this for a few people and different boards maybe.

The location should be beside an opened window or near an open door.  :p

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 03:56:13 »
Is this like one of those "red sports cars are faster than the identical non red sports car" type situations?
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 03:59:32 »
Is this like one of those "red sports cars are faster than the identical non red sports car" type situations?

Everyone knows red cars are faster!

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 04:00:17 »
Maybe the difference is just because of the stems. One is topre and the other is MX

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 04:03:40 »
Maybe the difference is just because of the stems. One is topre and the other is MX

That's not fair!

This assumes that they are otherwise identical keycaps, apart from the colour.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 04:07:15 »

That's not fair!

This assumes that they are otherwise identical keycaps, apart from the colour.

Arent they ?  :eek: :eek:

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline alosec

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 08:41:10 »
if you happen to own both a white realforce and a black realforce: can you talk on this issue? this dilemma is what prompted me to post this

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 09:14:32 »
-wd

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 09:15:39 »
if you happen to own both a white realforce and a black realforce: can you talk on this issue? this dilemma is what prompted me to post this

I do and are you crazy?  YOU CAN'T FEEL COLOR

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 09:24:27 »

I do and are you crazy?  YOU CAN'T FEEL COLOR

There are always 'these' people...

http://www.livescience.com/169-rare-real-people-feel-taste-hear-color.html

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 10:24:07 »
You are comparing keys from different sources and prefer the texture on the Topre keycap. Now if same keycap mold, manufacturer and type of plastic are all the same generally the color will have no effect unless that color greatly changes the composition of the plastic in some way.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 17:26:14 »
You are comparing keys from different sources and prefer the texture on the Topre keycap. Now if same keycap mold, manufacturer and type of plastic are all the same generally the color will have no effect unless that color greatly changes the composition of the plastic in some way.

This, with knobs on.

Unless you happen to see the keycaps before typing, and psychologically feel different when typing on your favourite colour keycaps, and somehow interpret that as the keycaps themselves feeling different.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 20:03:52 »
Black always rougher. Needs some lotion to smooth the caps. Black caps so ashy.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 20:40:59 »
Black always rougher. Needs some lotion to smooth the caps. Black caps so ashy.

It puts the lotion in the basket.