Author Topic: Damaged caps during post  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Belfong

Damaged caps during post
« on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 01:06:05 »
So, I am just wondering, we do a lot of trade of key caps via post - whether it was between two persons in a auction or [FS] thread or a [WTB] thread. Or perhaps between a vendor and its customers. Now what happens if the caps were damage by the post - you know, that man behind the post box who had a bad day and stamped really hard on the bubble wrap letter, damaging or cracking the caps - imagine if it were a clack or a bro bot! What happens? It's not the seller's fault, nor the buyer.. is it generally mark as '**** out of luck'?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Damaged caps during post
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 01:15:26 »
In cases like that, assuming the item was packaged well, I prefer to split the loss between the buyer and seller (ie the seller gives back half of the cost of the item to the buyer) since it was no one's fault.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 03:30:05 »
I haven't heard of it happening often.

It did happen recently where the visor was broken off a Gas Mark keycap.

When something like that does happen, I guess it is up to the buyer and seller to come to an arrangement.

Most sellers here, especially those who actually make the keycaps themselves, are usually pretty good about it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 03:38:12 »
I'd say that there are two ways an item can be damaged in transit:

Either the item wasn't packaged satisfactory, and it is the seller's responsibility to replace it. Or, if the item was damaged even though it was satisfactory packaged, then the postal service must have been irresponsible enough to warrant them replacing the item or reimbursing the buyer. This is usually done on the spot as it will be evident from the packaging that it has undergone excessive damage. This requires the packaging to have visible damage on the outside, as if item was damaged without the container being damaged, it wasn't packaged satisfactory.

The only thing which in my opinion remains to be argued is where to draw the line of sufficiently packaged. I'd say that stamping heavily doesn't qualify has excessive force and that a parcel should withstand that.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 03:43:39 »
Typically, key caps packaging are quite simple - a yellow bubble wrap envelope i.e. not necessarily in a parcel. So the packaging is always very nice and decent - just the force of the post master for stamping that could easily crack the caps. Happens, just wondering how people here dealt with it. I can't imagine the devastation from a cracked Clacks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 January 2014, 03:49:26 by Belfong »

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 09:47:03 »

I just picked up another Sun keyboard and unfortunately, they didn't package it well. They basically taped two priority mail boxes together and threw the board in the middle with a single layer of thin bubble wrap. They're saying they want to file a claim with USPS, but as I pointed out to them, this was poorly packaged and was bouncing around in the box. If USPS asks me, I'm going to tell them the truth. Whenever you ship something, it's always a good idea to keep the item suspended somehow in the middle with enough spacing that a corner or end was to get smashed it won't pinch what you're sending.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 09:47:50 »
This also applies to small items. Always provide adequate spacing.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 11:31:13 »
I keep worrying that I'm using too much packaging when I ship.

Then I see pics like that and think, "nah, I'm good"

Sorry about your keyboard, that's really unfortunate.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 16:30:34 »
So is it a good idea for sellers to photograph the item as they are packaging it?

Sort of like a reverse unboxing?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tbc

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 16:38:35 »
this is REALLY common among the regular experienced sellers on most other forums.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 20:14:42 »
So is it a good idea for sellers to photograph the item as they are packaging it?

I usually do that in case someone claims to have an issue.

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 00:33:39 »

yeah. although i generally do video since its a bit easier as you dont need to press any buttons. I even did boxing/unboxing videos for every disk i got from netflix/gamefly/etc. No sense in getting stuck with bull**** fees for someone elses cockup.

Saved myself $400 when comcast "lost" the equipment I had returned to them after cancelling my service. They sent me a bill for the gear. I sent them a video of me boxing that **** up (with care taken to record serial numbers as well).

As easy as modern smartphones make shooting hd video, theres no reason not to take an extra 10 seconds to protect yourself and your credit rating.
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 11:17:32 »

yeah. although i generally do video since its a bit easier as you dont need to press any buttons. I even did boxing/unboxing videos for every disk i got from netflix/gamefly/etc. No sense in getting stuck with bull**** fees for someone elses cockup.

Saved myself $400 when comcast "lost" the equipment I had returned to them after cancelling my service. They sent me a bill for the gear. I sent them a video of me boxing that **** up (with care taken to record serial numbers as well).

As easy as modern smartphones make shooting hd video, theres no reason not to take an extra 10 seconds to protect yourself and your credit rating.

That's a good idea. I've taken photos in the past when shipping heavier items with UPS. If UPS didn't package it they'll try to say you didn't package it properly when you file a claim. Photos help negate those claims.