Author Topic: Scratched key caps  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Belfong

Scratched key caps
« on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 04:58:59 »
With all these trading and after market key caps exchanging hands, did you ever get one that is scratched? The photos can't tell details so I am sure some of them are scratched. What do you do? I have a gas mask whose visor was 'dented' and one other key cap that has its underside scratched due, as far as I can tell, the key cap puller rubbing against it pulled the adjacent key. How can we repair scratches? I doubt sandpaper will help :P

Edit: grammar..
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 April 2014, 06:55:03 by Belfong »

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
Re: Scratched key caps
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 06:01:21 »
Luckily the caps i have received in the mail that had blemishes weren't beat up on the outside. Key cap puller dents and chips are the most common issues i have run into (and probably a lot of other people to)

Try one of these guys out. Four-8 sided fingernail buffer, using only the shine and buffer sides, but tread lightly if you want to use the more abrasive side.

Hope that helps, you'd be surprised how much a light buffer can bring an old cap to life after a nice wash.
sell out and eat ass

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 08:22:47 »
I use Magic Eraser for light surface scratches on all sorts of plastic things around the house. Great for retouching vintage electronics or sanding off scuffs, but be careful because it is essentially fine sandpaper so going light is the key.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 08:27:39 »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try them out on normal plastics first.