Author Topic: Originative Cyrillic set  (Read 15594 times)

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
Originative Cyrillic set
« on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:31:41 »
Anybody have this set and can comment on the quality? It looks like they're ABS doubleshot, but it says nothing about the thickness.

http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets/products/cyrllic

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Originative Cyrillic set
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:34:41 »
They're GMK caps, so they're thick Cherry doubleshot caps. The white is doubleshot on the black. The red is pad printed, then the cap is covered with a layer of protection. I've never used them, so I can't speak to the protection, but Cherry doubleshots are the best, in my opinion.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:34:49 »
Anybody have this set and can comment on the quality? It looks like they're ABS doubleshot, but it says nothing about the thickness.

I just placed an order for them this morning. I believe they are the same thickness as all other doubleshot GMK caps, which is to say, quite thick. So everything you read about thickness/quality of GMK caps will apply to them. Other than that, the main variable is the Cyrillic pad printing + clear coat. From what I have read, the clear coat makes the caps feel as if they were slightly shiny, but is quite effective and will preserve the pad printing for years.

I can post photos and more commentary when I receive the caps next week.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:38:00 »

I just placed an order for them this morning. I believe they are the same thickness as all other doubleshot GMK caps, which is to say, quite thick. So everything you read about thickness/quality of GMK caps will apply to them. Other than that, the main variable is the Cyrillic pad printing + clear coat. From what I have read, the clear coat makes the caps feel as if they were slightly shiny, but is quite effective and will preserve the pad printing for years.

I can post photos and more commentary when I receive the caps next week.
Awesome, please do post pics and comments when they arrive. I'm strongly considering buying a set, but I hate shiny caps with a passion.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:41:50 »
The clear coat makes keycaps feel different. A tiny bit more grippy. Not shiny though.. They still have a texture to them.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline intelli78

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:44:24 »
Awesome, please do post pics and comments when they arrive. I'm strongly considering buying a set, but I hate shiny caps with a passion.

No problem. I don't like shiny looking/feeling caps either and I try to stick to all PBT when possible. However, the Originative Cyrillic set just looks a lot nicer than Imsto's PBT winkey set (it's so blindingly white and plain, as compared to hellgrau). Imsto's current cyrillic GB is super awesome and I may get it too, but no 1.25x mods = not nice.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:46:00 »
The clear coat makes keycaps feel different. A tiny bit more grippy. Not shiny though.. They still have a texture to them.

Interesting, thanks for the info. If you have a set, would you mind posting some pics? Also, does the clear coat cover the entire keycap surface or just the printing?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:47:39 »
Interesting, thanks for the info. If you have a set, would you mind posting some pics? Also, does the clear coat cover the entire keycap surface or just the printing?

I can't speak for GMK pad printing (but it's literally the same production) but I can for original cherry pad printing
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.msg1312771#msg1312771
there's a point outlining the appearance

they feel slightly different, but practically the same.

you can definitely feel the glaze. It's not a bad thing but you can tell it's there. still the best feelin' keycaps around
Basically if you weren't told that they were there, you wouldn't notice them

photo of my 5000 where you can see them
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:55:01 by Dubsgalore »

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:47:52 »
Is hellgrau leaning towards light grey, or is it like the classic beige color that cherry replica sets tend to use?

The photos on Originative make it seem like the caps are blindingly white, which I don't like either. I'd ideally like an off-white/beige set, but those are so expensive.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:48:35 »
The pic last time I checked showed ISO. Is the set ANSI as well?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:49:26 »
Is hellgrau leaning towards light grey, or is it like the classic beige color that cherry replica sets tend to use?

The photos on Originative make it seem like the caps are blindingly white, which I don't like either. I'd ideally like an off-white/beige set, but those are so expensive.

This is 'hellgrau'

All white mods / alphas

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:49:47 »
The pic last time I checked showed ISO. Is the set ANSI as well?

It is only ANSI. Although the stock pic shows ISO, there is a note that ISO isn't actually available.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:52:37 »
I don't have one of these cyrillic sets. I do, however, have a mint 5000HAMPO in front of me that has a few pad printed keys that have a clear coat.

Here's a macro shot of one of those keys.

The clear coat is done in a square covering most of the top surface of the keycap. It will be the same on those cyrillic keys.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 20:53:28 »
IMO, shiny Cherry doubleshots feel heavenly. They don't necessarily look as nice as a set that's not shiny, but they feel nice on the fingers.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 22:48:28 »
IMO, shiny Cherry doubleshots feel heavenly. They don't necessarily look as nice as a set that's not shiny, but they feel nice on the fingers.

This man knows what he's talking about right here.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 22:58:14 »

Seriously I'm beginning to understand the smoothness as my dolch set starts to shine.

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 23:04:08 »

Seriously I'm beginning to understand the smoothness as my dolch set starts to shine.

Literally shine? Or figuratively?

You guys have almost convinced me to buy this set. Hoping I'll like it coming from PBT.

Only ABS caps I've used are the WASD sets and the stock caps from my old QFR, and I didn't like either.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 23:05:01 »

You guys have almost convinced me to buy this set. Hoping I'll like it coming from PBT.

Only ABS caps I've used are the WASD sets and the stock caps from my old QFR, and I didn't like either.

literally...ABS shines you know, I've been using them everyday for 8-10hrs for a while now

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 23:05:45 »

literally...ABS shines you know, I've been using them everyday for 8-10hrs for a while now

So does PBT and pretty much everything else after a while

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 23:26:21 »
How long has this set been out??? I would love one, but I needs that winkeyless set... :/
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 23:34:27 »
How long has this set been out??? I would love one, but I needs that winkeyless set... :/

A month I think

Offline intelli78

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 16:35:58 »
I got my caps from Originative today. As expected, same quality and thickness of all GMK doubleshot caps. You can feel the glaze, but just barely. The glazed keys are just slightly rougher than the others. Also, it makes the surface flush -- you don't feel the shape of the pad printing, which is a very nice bonus.

The color is pleasant. Somewhat hard to capture on camera.

There are a lot of variables at play in reproducing the color (lighting, cameras, monitors, etc.) but I'd guess they're pretty much the same as the keyboard Dubsgalore posted earlier.

Show Image

This is 'hellgrau'

Also, mine came with two ISO keys only. For a full ISO set, you'd need a 1.25x left shift and another punctuation cap (not sure off the top of my head what it is)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 16:49:23 »
I got my caps from Originative today. As expected, same quality and thickness of all GMK doubleshot caps. You can feel the glaze, but just barely. The glazed keys are just slightly rougher than the others. Also, it makes the surface flush -- you don't feel the shape of the pad printing, which is a very nice bonus.

Show Image

There are a lot of variables at play in reproducing the color (lighting, cameras, monitors, etc.) but I'd guess they're pretty much the same as the keyboard Dubsgalore posted earlier.

Show Image

This is 'hellgrau'

Also, mine came with two ISO keys only. For a full ISO set, you'd need a 1.25x left shift and another punctuation cap (not sure off the top of my head what it is)

Show Image

Those are pretty sweet. It's hard to pass on anything GMK but I'm holding out for dolch.

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 19:28:41 »

Show Image

Show Image

That looks really fantastic....excited to get mine. Was hoping I'd get shipping info today but I guess not....I'm in WA though so it should be pretty quick shipping from Monterey, CA.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 19:48:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

This is 'hellgrau'

Show Image

Oh wow that's really fast! I was thinking of getting the charred orange set from them

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:17:10 »
can someone confirm me , does the cryllic set has the 1x "0" keycap in it?
I know it doesn't say it has one, but just in case since something similar happen with the ISO
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 11:42:13 »
love it! however i wish i ordered the IMSTO first, those dyestubs just looks so much better than the glazed GMK, but i love GMK's mods  :-\
sell out and eat ass

Offline lolkey

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:57:36 »
they need to restock the black blanks
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline intelli78

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:18:39 »
can someone confirm me , does the cryllic set has the 1x "0" keycap in it?
I know it doesn't say it has one, but just in case since something similar happen with the ISO

Sorry, it does not.

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 22:25:55 »
love it! however i wish i ordered the IMSTO first, those dyestubs just looks so much better than the glazed GMK, but i love GMK's mods  :-\

You've compared the two side by side?

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 22:35:51 »

I haven't seen the glazed personally but GMK legends are usually more crisp compared to IMSTO's. imo of course.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 23:29:04 »

A bunch of people compared our different sets (1 GMK and 1 IMSTO) in the what did you get in the mail thread last month when the Orginative sets started shipping out. Ill try and dig up the page on break, working right now.
sell out and eat ass

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 22:45:36 »

Show Image

Show Image

That looks really fantastic....excited to get mine. Was hoping I'd get shipping info today but I guess not....I'm in WA though so it should be pretty quick shipping from Monterey, CA.

Have you heard back from Sherry yet? You ordered some sets right?

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 22:47:34 »

Show Image

Show Image

No dice. Placed the order on Sunday and haven't heard anything. I think I';; give it one more day and then contact them.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 23:23:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

No dice. Placed the order on Sunday and haven't heard anything. I think I';; give it one more day and then contact them.
That's a little nerve wracking. Sucks with Sherry because we never know when he's going to flake again. He's got some stuff I want but don't have the money for. Keeping an eye on things.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 23:24:47 »
I emailed sherry about splitting up a set and he responded quite quickly. Sent him a couple other emails, and he responded in less than 5 minutes. So at least he's communicating

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 23:50:57 »
Yes I've gotten multiple responses from him in emails as well.

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 14:53:31 »
Just an update for anyone who was wondering about my recent orders from Originative.

I e-mailed him last night and he got back to me this morning:

"I am absolutely sorry about that. There were some fraudulent orders recently, and I thought they were yours. I am completely sorry, and I will have that shipped out as soon as tomorrow."

So it looks like everything is gravy. I think he thought my orders were fraudulent because I used two different credit cards with different billing addresses.....in other words my fault.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:01:04 »
Just an update for anyone who was wondering about my recent orders from Originative.

"I am absolutely sorry about that. There were some fraudulent orders recently, and I thought they were yours. I am completely sorry, and I will have that shipped out as soon as tomorrow."

So it looks like everything is gravy. I think he thought my orders were fraudulent because I used two different credit cards with different billing addresses.....in other words my fault.

He's giving that same excuse to others as well....

Offline intelli78

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:01:45 »

Hmm, now I'm starting to get a bad feeling.

- Last month, I ordered from him and had a big episode where he thought my credit card was issued in China. He eventually decided that he had it mixed up with another order.

- When I ordered the KMAC this week, I emailed him a question, and he responded that my credit card "may have been through a fraud." I offered to pay another way, and he said it wouldn't be necessary.

- I placed another order shortly thereafter for the Cyrillic extras he recently posted. I paid through Bitcoin this time to avoid more credit card BS. What do you know, he tells me yesterday that the order "failed" even though Bitpay has my money.

I followed up about both of these issues yesterday, and he did not get back to me this morning, even to tell me when the KMAC will ship (I've been asking him about it).

Riiiight... how can he have THIS much trouble processing orders?

Even though I've had 5+ successful orders from him this year, he is starting to get very flaky.  :confused:

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:16:31 »
Well shoot. I wonder if it would be inappropriate to mention some of this to him in an e-mail? This is rather disconcerting, especially since he now has ~$240 of mine....

I am beginning to dislike this guy, and I don't even know him.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:17:51 »
Well shoot. I wonder if it would be inappropriate to mention some of this to him in an e-mail? This is rather disconcerting, especially since he now has ~$240 of mine....

I am beginning to dislike this guy, and I don't even know him.

This is why you see so many people warning against ordering from him....and why he no longer has a vendor forum here.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:23:50 »
I sent him another email requesting an update. I am hoping he'll respond and just get the stuff shipped out.

I stood up for him when I suggested he be notified about the vendor review. Since he'd processed all my stuff without a problem, I thought he may have been turning over a new leaf.

The flaky communication combined with all the talk about fraud and failed orders does not put the mind at ease...

Offline intelli78

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:25:01 »
OK, he responded super fast this time:

Hello Aaron,

Your package is ready to ship.
I'm about to head out to USPS.

Regards

Sheraton

Offline t2russo

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:41:40 »
I'm not sure it's malicious as much as incompetent.  Everything seems rushed, botched, and generally mucked up, and I'm a strong believe in Hanlon's razor-

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I've stopped ordering from Originative, even though a black lightsaver is calling my name.  I just don't really want to deal with the hassle should anything go wrong.  I can't recommend anyone order from them, but I can also believe that it's not just a gigantic rip-off outfit.  My belief is that it's a group of people WAY over their head with running a webstore and when push comes to shove, they just take a step back rather than buckling down and powering through things.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:00:59 »
you could always order a lightsaver from OTD and have them proxy it to you

sherry is super shady
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 19:37:21 »
He might also really be being hit by people placing fraudulent errors to "get back" at him for previous errors and omissions.

He has a lot of bad publicity around GH, and unfortunately a few people seem to want to take matters into their own hands.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 19:42:05 »
I checked out his Facebook page....dude doesn't look shady, but that really doesn't mean anything.

In any case, he's at least responding to e-mails quickly so I'm not super worried. But if he breaks his word and doesn't ship my order tomorrow I'll be elevating my tone of voice a little in the next e-mail  :thumb:

Offline intelli78

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 17:08:20 »
So, did you get a tracking number? My KMAC order apparently shipped out, but he is ignoring my emails about my other order (~$20) for the Cyrillic addons. He said the Bitpay payment "failed" - even though they have my funds - and won't respond to my emails about it. 

So, even if you've had recent successful orders from him, it's no guarantee that he won't randomly flake out.

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 17:14:51 »
In short, **** this dude. Seriously.

I got a little impatient and this was my latest e-mail to him last night:

"Hi Sheraton,
Can I please get a response to my previous two e-mails? Some form of acknowledgement would be nice. You have nearly 250 of my dollars in your possession and I have no confirmation that you will be shipping my items. I have several people on geekhack.org telling me that you have given them the same excuse of fraudulent payment methods, and this is rather unsettling.

Thank you"

No response yet, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully my e-mail doesn't just make him want to steal my money even more. But what can I do.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 May 2014, 17:20:54 by anoxy »