Author Topic: [GB] Octagon 75% Kustom Keyboard  (Read 219704 times)

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: [GB] Octagon 75% Kustom Keyboard
« Reply #650 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 14:39:28 »
Has anyone have success programming the RGB below the PCB? (Like which color order should display)

The tmk based .hex I use allows you to control the RGB.

See here:
https://github.com/xauser/tmk_keyboard/blob/xauser/keyboard/octagon/keymap_winkey.c#L23-L29

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #651 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 14:47:17 »
Interesting, I just need to learn to convert my current layout to tmk. I'm having no luck with the 02D Keymapper.

Is this even the right place to program it on 02D?

Edit: does TMK support LED control for each area of the board? (example in 02D has control for LED in alpha, modifer, F row, etc.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 14:59:12 by rainb1ood »

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #652 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 15:04:49 »
Interesting, I just need to learn to convert my current layout to tmk. I'm having no luck with the 02D Keymapper.

Show Image

Is this even the right place to program it on 02D?

Edit: does TMK support LED control for each area of the board? (example in 02D has control for LED in alpha, modifer, F row, etc.)

Yes, F-now, Caps, mods, alphas are supported.

Edit: I added Caps, not sure if it's in xauser branch.  I'll check later.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 19:36:37 by tjweir »

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #653 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 23:39:52 »
selling my blue grey Octagon kit for $380 + fees (shipping from Canada), or a straight swap for someone else's silver Octagon (both kit or board are fine)

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #654 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 14:12:30 »
Is there any way to just buy cases for these? I would love to pick up a couple.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #655 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 14:15:08 »
group buy ended a few months ago. and afaik Duck never sells standalone cases so you would have to piggyback off someone who is ordering an extra PCB + plate combo, which wasn't even an option for this buy

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #656 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 15:26:45 »
I copied the default Layer FN3 to Layer FN1 then I've been cycling through 'R Mode' (FN1 key + R Mode) and surprised to discover new effects I haven't seen before lol

Used google translate for this site http://blog.naver.com/PostList.nhn?blogId=dudgnl2&from=postList&categoryNo=15 But the list of effects doesn't seem to be complete.

Also does anyone know what functions (i.e., LED Ctrl, R Mode, G Set1, B Set2, LED Func, etc. etc.) are being used in this video?

« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2015, 15:49:07 by rainb1ood »

Offline snipars

« Reply #657 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 12:01:39 »
are there any building instructions for the octagon?
i've got mine all ready to build, stabilisers installed and the switches in place ready for soldering, but it feels like the switches are going to fall out at any moment, am i meant to screw the plate to the PCB before soldering?
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #658 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 12:12:32 »
i've got mine all ready to build, stabilisers installed and the switches in place ready for soldering, but it feels like the switches are going to fall out at any moment, am i meant to screw the plate to the PCB before soldering?

I built my octagons and viper the same way.
- I installed the stabilizers
- I put in all switches in the plate and pcb "sandwich"
- flipped it over on to two wood blocks so it was stable and the switches were not being depressed
- soldered a row
- tested that row
- soldered the next row
- tested
- etc

LEDs came after a week or so of use.

Offline Data

« Reply #659 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 12:48:12 »

There are a couple build logs floating around but no official instructions, no.  If they exist they're probably in Korean.  But you should be able to figure it out.

It sounds like you may have used plate-mount switches.  If you'd used PCB-mount switches then they would attach firmly to both the plate and the PCB, and you'd have a nice stable platform to begin soldering.  If you don't have that you'll want to flip it over and support the underside of the plate like tjweir suggested.  Make sure all your switches are installed before you begin soldering.  If you did it right the switches will be supported by the plate and shouldn't fall out.

I did switches and LEDs all at once because I'm impatient.  But it worked out.  :P

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #660 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 16:43:39 »
After some googling I found what the RGB effects cycle are:

※ RGB Effects
  1. Off
  2. ON - R, G, B both on (white color)
  3. Change the circulation of the specified color (7 types)
    Applying a fixed delay
  4. Change up to 16 user-defined colors in circulation
    Applying the delay time of the preset
  5. Custom Color 1 ON> keys pressed Off
    Push Lock off when the key is pressed when the color conversion
  6. Off> key when the user clicks on color 2
  7. User Color 1. On> key when the user clicks on color 2
  8. Custom Color 2 On> key when the user clicks on one color
  9. breathing - circulation changes in the Custom preset colors

http://kbdlab.co.kr/?document_srl=309373&mid=board_sw&listStyle=viewer (Used google translate)

Offline snipars

« Reply #661 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 19:50:26 »

There are a couple build logs floating around but no official instructions, no.  If they exist they're probably in Korean.  But you should be able to figure it out.

It sounds like you may have used plate-mount switches.  If you'd used PCB-mount switches then they would attach firmly to both the plate and the PCB, and you'd have a nice stable platform to begin soldering.  If you don't have that you'll want to flip it over and support the underside of the plate like tjweir suggested.  Make sure all your switches are installed before you begin soldering.  If you did it right the switches will be supported by the plate and shouldn't fall out.

I did switches and LEDs all at once because I'm impatient.  But it worked out.  :P

I am using PCB-mounted gateron switches that i clipped the feet off of to make them plate-mounted, though i have quite a lot of pcb-mounted ones leftover, should i use those instead?
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #662 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 20:26:25 »

I am using PCB-mounted gateron switches that i clipped the feet off of to make them plate-mounted, though i have quite a lot of pcb-mounted ones leftover, should i use those instead?

All of my builds that have a plate use plate-mount (no extra pins, plastic bits clipped off) switches.

Offline Data

« Reply #663 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 07:58:45 »

You just mentioned feeling like they weren't secure in the plate.  PCB-mount will fix that right up.  Just make sure you have your switches placed/aligned correctly and your stabilizers installed, because the switches are a pain to remove if you forgot something.

But honestly, you should be fine with what you have.

Offline snipars

« Reply #664 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 18:18:16 »
here's my octagon, finally built!

thanks to everyone who organised this groupbuy and allowed me to get my ideal keyboard!

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #665 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 19:29:39 »

Show Image
Show Image

thanks to everyone who organised this groupbuy and allowed me to get my ideal keyboard!

Nice job!

What switches?

Offline snipars

« Reply #666 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 19:31:55 »

Show Image
Show Image

Nice job!

What switches?

Gateron Blacks :)

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #667 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 00:15:08 »

Show Image
Show Image

Nice job!

What switches?

So all future dank snipars video is powered by an octagon huh? Very niiice

Offline snipars

« Reply #668 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 12:13:00 »

Show Image
Show Image

haha i'm not so much into making videos anymore but i guess so!
Nice job!

What switches?

So all future dank snipars video is powered by an octagon huh? Very niiice

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #669 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 09:24:19 »

※ RGB Effects
  1. Off
    Applying a fixed delay

http://kbdlab.co.kr/?document_srl=309373&mid=board_sw&listStyle=viewer (Used google translate)

So I read this, and also looked ta the doc in google translate and it doesn't really help with anything. Maybe I'm just dumb but how in the world do we change any of the settings? I set it so all of the LED keys are assigned in my FN layer. I played around with them but I can't figure out what's up. I just want the RGB to always be orange.

Offline Data

« Reply #670 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 09:32:35 »

※ RGB Effects
  1. Off
    Applying a fixed delay

So I read this, and also looked ta the doc in google translate and it doesn't really help with anything. Maybe I'm just dumb but how in the world do we change any of the settings? I set it so all of the LED keys are assigned in my FN layer. I played around with them but I can't figure out what's up. I just want the RGB to always be orange.

Yeah I never figured it out either.  It's not at all intuitive.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #671 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 16:56:33 »
I noticed when building mine that the pcb supported doing a 2,75x right shift layout, but it seems to me that the plate doesn't support this, am I right?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #672 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 14:01:10 »
I noticed when building mine that the pcb supported doing a 2,75x right shift layout, but it seems to me that the plate doesn't support this, am I right?

My plate looks like it would support the 2.75x shift. You would lose the up arrow.

Offline E3E

« Reply #673 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:20:13 »
Hello everyone! If it's not too much to ask, would anyone be willing to sell a metal sticker? I just purchased an Octagon second-hand, but it does not come with the metal stickers.

You'd have my deepest appreciation, since I really need a sticker for the look I'm going for.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #674 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:29:13 »
Hello everyone! If it's not too much to ask, would anyone be willing to sell a metal sticker? I just purchased an Octagon second-hand, but it does not come with the metal stickers.

You'd have my deepest appreciation, since I really need a sticker for the look I'm going for.

You can maybe get a custom one made by an artist on ETSY.COM.  You'll just have to find a person who makes it with metal otherwise acrylic is also an option. 

Offline E3E

« Reply #675 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:32:55 »
Thanks filphil, that's not a bad idea! I'll check it out now.  :thumb:

If anyone wouldn't mind parting with a sticker, I'm still open for that for now, if possible!  :)

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #676 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 19:33:29 »

I used both of my "octagon" stickers, and have both of the logo stickers left over, do you want one?

Offline E3E

« Reply #677 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 19:48:38 »

I used both of my "octagon" stickers, and have both of the logo stickers left over, do you want one?

Man, I would appreciate that more than ya know! It's actually the sticker I'd prefer too!

Offline E3E

« Reply #678 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 19:03:40 »
Hey again, fellow Octagon owners. I have a predicament! I tried flashing the firmware of my Octagon and now it won't get out of flash mode. It's always recognized as an ATmega32U4 no matter what I do. Can anyone help me with this?

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #679 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 19:09:53 »
Hey again, fellow Octagon owners. I have a predicament! I tried flashing the firmware of my Octagon and now it won't get out of flash mode. It's always recognized as an ATmega32U4 no matter what I do. Can anyone help me with this?

I update my Octagons the same way I used to update my (now sold) Viper: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65036.msg1656094#msg1656094

How are you doing it?  What OS, what .hex file? tmk or O2D?

Offline E3E

« Reply #680 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 19:14:36 »
I update my Octagons the same way I used to update my (now sold) Viper: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65036.msg1656094#msg1656094

Hey tjweir. :)

I'm using Windows 7 as my OS, and going through O2D (Layout: Octagon_Custom, Firmware Type: O2D Custom). I created my own .hex file by editing the defaut Octagon layout. Saved it, uploaded it. It said that the flash was successful, but after restarting, disconnecting, reconnecting, uninstalling the Atmel drivers, it still isn't recognized as a keyboard. Did I seriously break something? D:

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #681 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 19:28:41 »

Hey tjweir. :)

I'm using Windows 7 as my OS, and going through O2D (Layout: Octagon_Custom, Firmware Type: O2D Custom). I created my own .hex file by editing the defaut Octagon layout. Saved it, uploaded it. It said that the flash was successful, but after restarting, disconnecting, reconnecting, uninstalling the Atmel drivers, it still isn't recognized as a keyboard. Did I seriously break something? D:

(I know nothing about Windows, sorry)

I'd try this: http://dfu-programmer.github.io/
and here's my current keymap: https://github.com/tjweir/octagon_hex/tree/master

Offline E3E

« Reply #682 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 20:38:05 »
It seems that it works somewhat when I try EasyAVR. It goes out of programming mode and the LEDs turn on, no longer seen as the ATMEL controller, but it seems that it doesn't function as a keyboard. Hmmm, seems tricky. I'm not sure why O2D isn't functioning correctly. When I try to "Start Keyboard" while in the firmware upload menu, it disconnects and then reconnects, but it's still being seen as an ATmega32U4.

Offline snipars

« Reply #683 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 13:53:47 »
i've got an issue and i've no clue how to fix it, my octagon has stopped working. when i plug it in, the lights do not come on and the keyboard doesn't function.
i think it might be an issue with the USB port, could someone advise me on how i could fix this?

Offline E3E

« Reply #684 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 09:06:58 »
i've got an issue and i've no clue how to fix it, my octagon has stopped working. when i plug it in, the lights do not come on and the keyboard doesn't function.
i think it might be an issue with the USB port, could someone advise me on how i could fix this?

I should say firstly that I managed to fix my issue and reflash my Octagon to function correctly again. For me, I had a bad flash apparently. Whizzard helped me by providing the original stock .hex file for the Octagon plus his cool layout set up to configure the LED settings.

So by beginning with that, I have to say that your problem sounds remarkably similar to mine, Snipars. It might be that your  keyboard is stuck in "flash mode" and is being read as a microcontroller instead of a keyboard. Download the O2D software if you haven't already, get a DFU programmer.

Actually, whizzard's build log and guide is perfect to get all that if you haven't already: http://www.adamfalwell.com/projects/octagon/firmware-setup.html

If you need the original .hex, I'm sure you can contact either me or whizzard. I do hope that this is the problem you're having and not something else! I've read how much you dig the Octagon (I love mine too), so I'd hate for yours to be bricked, but I doubt that's the case!  :thumb:

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #685 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 14:41:24 »
When are we going to start the Round 2 Hype?
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #686 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 17:03:39 »

When are we going to start the Round 2 Hype?

Depends on Duck's plans. I think the next project is Viper/Eagle 2.  Then maybe octagon 2.

I know nothing concrete.

Offline Invaderevan

« Reply #687 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 22:08:04 »
Was there an extra PCB option for this buy? Should I bother looking for an Octagon PCB?

WTTF Ribbits, Ashen V2 MX, Bronins

Offline snipars

« Reply #688 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 06:05:20 »

I should say firstly that I managed to fix my issue and reflash my Octagon to function correctly again. For me, I had a bad flash apparently. Whizzard helped me by providing the original stock .hex file for the Octagon plus his cool layout set up to configure the LED settings.

So by beginning with that, I have to say that your problem sounds remarkably similar to mine, Snipars. It might be that your  keyboard is stuck in "flash mode" and is being read as a microcontroller instead of a keyboard. Download the O2D software if you haven't already, get a DFU programmer.

Actually, whizzard's build log and guide is perfect to get all that if you haven't already: http://www.adamfalwell.com/projects/octagon/firmware-setup.html

If you need the original .hex, I'm sure you can contact either me or whizzard. I do hope that this is the problem you're having and not something else! I've read how much you dig the Octagon (I love mine too), so I'd hate for yours to be bricked, but I doubt that's the case!  :thumb:

re-flashing the firmware did fix this keyboard and you're damn right i dig the heck out of this keyboard

Offline Data

« Reply #689 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 08:16:06 »
Was there an extra PCB option for this buy? Should I bother looking for an Octagon PCB?

I don't think it was an option.

Offline snipars

« Reply #690 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 17:55:11 »
damn i love this keyboard  :D

Anyone know if there'll ever be another groupbuy?

Offline E3E

« Reply #691 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 18:15:35 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Fantastic board, man! :thumb: Triumph Adler is lookin' good. 75% layouts are so hard to cover properly.

As far as what's up with Duck's future plans, there was speculation in the Lightsaver V2 r2 thread that his next project is the Octagon v2. I know, so soon right? Who knows. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm definitely preparing for it though.  ^-^

it will be octagon 2 according to what i've been told
For serious?

Fuuuuuuuu--

Well, guess I'll be getting that!  :thumb:

EDIT: If you are correct though, I must say that it's a little soon considering the Octagon release is less than a year old. He must really have some ideas for it. Maaan.
the rumor is that Duck himself mistakenly posted some sort of render/mockup of the new octagon here. it was deleted soon enough but not before the person whom i conversed with caught wind of it.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #692 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 18:29:45 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Fantastic board, man! :thumb: Triumph Adler is lookin' good. 75% layouts are so hard to cover properly.

As far as what's up with Duck's future plans, there was speculation in the Lightsaver V2 r2 thread that his next project is the Octagon v2. I know, so soon right? Who knows. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm definitely preparing for it though.  ^-^

it will be octagon 2 according to what i've been told
For serious?

Fuuuuuuuu--

Well, guess I'll be getting that!  :thumb:

EDIT: If you are correct though, I must say that it's a little soon considering the Octagon release is less than a year old. He must really have some ideas for it. Maaan.
the rumor is that Duck himself mistakenly posted some sort of render/mockup of the new octagon here. it was deleted soon enough but not before the person whom i conversed with caught wind of it.

There have been claims that Duck himself accidentally posted mock-ups of Octagon v2 but I've never seen them and it's all through the grapevine.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline E3E

« Reply #693 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 18:58:34 »
There have been claims that Duck himself accidentally posted mock-ups of Octagon v2 but I've never seen them and it's all through the grapevine.

True that, good sir, true that. I'm not holding by breath either.  :-X

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #694 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 16:28:34 »
I'm trying to program the keyboard to have capslock as ctrl.  I'm getting an error when I try to save the layout in Duck's software, anyone have a solution?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #695 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 16:47:01 »

I'm trying to program the keyboard to have capslock as ctrl.  I'm getting an error when I try to save the layout in Duck's software, anyone have a solution?

Make an empty file named layout.hex and then overwrite it when you save the .hex from O2D. 

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
« Reply #696 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 21:17:21 »
I've been trying to make this work for a while.  I keep getting "Check Atmel USB Driver" error.  I've followed all instructions completely.  Any ideas on how I can make this work?

Figured that part out, and now some of my keys aren't working?  All of the arrow keys won't work, and an Alt & Ctl won't work.  Going to fiddle some more.

I figured everything out now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 September 2015, 01:11:55 by swornxin »

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline stillzman

« Reply #697 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 20:13:11 »
Sorry if this has been already asked but... will there be another group buy going on anytime soon?

Offline Data

« Reply #698 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:22:24 »
Sorry if this has been already asked but... will there be another group buy going on anytime soon?

Not soon, but perhaps eventually.  There have been rumors (none confirmed) of an Octagon V2.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #699 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 15:18:49 »
Has anyone figured out how to configure the RGB LEDs? I still haven't figured out how to even change the color. I changed it in the software but the LEDs never actually change to what I want them.