Author Topic: What's that one switch you use that you know that a good amount of people hate?  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Dr.Hades

• "Trust me"
My switch that falls into this category is the NK Creams,what about y'alls?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Cherry MX Brown.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Cherry MX Brown.

Truth

I used to be one of those people.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline appaboy

I quite enjoy mx Browns. I really don't get the hate. I also like 30g topre. Maybe I jusr like switches with very low tactility
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Kavik

I've been using a Velocifire with Outemu Browns, which are supposedly worse than Cherry MX Browns, but I've actually been quite enjoying it (as long as I don't use SA keycaps on them). The weak tactility seemed like a bad idea at first, but it's enough that it changes the sound and feel from a linear enough to be interesting but not so much to tire my fingers.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Tactile

Topre. But of course
REΛLFORCE

Offline TeacherGeek

Cherry MX Brown.

I assume because it has a good tactile bump for you Thomas?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
modded outemu clears are lit ya'll need to learn how to lube if you think they scratch
I love Elzy

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
My switch is...

Membrane! :|

Maybe because i'm forced to use it at school...

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
MX Browns, but that has been already said, so...

CoolerMaster's mem-chanical.
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
Razer has mem-chanical as well.

Mem-chamical is basically mechanical-keyboard tryhards

Offline frydaja

I've tried those, and yeah, they do feel like a rubberdome.

CoolerMaster's memchanicals are also rubberdomes, but they're less tactile and very smooth.
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline swedishpiehole

Topre. But of course
A good amount of people hate Topre? They must be the ones that haven't tried Topre.

Offline Dr.Hades

• "Trust me"
Topre. But of course
A good amount of people hate Topre? They must be the ones that haven't tried Topre.

Some people dislike the idea of any form of rubber domes as they will undeniably be mushier than a plastic counterpart. Me personally though, I don't mind it but if there is one thing that all of us can agree on it's that we'd all much rather pay 300 for a full metal body rather than a plastic fame. (Also yes I know the FC660 exist but even that thing still uses plastic for most of it's body)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Cherry MX Brown.

In my opinion, its "tactile bump" isn't strong enough that I could consider it more than background noise or an artefact.

I like to think that I've made at least some people aware that there are actually tactile alternatives out there and that people shouldn't settle for mediocrity just because it's convenient.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
I like the feedback of blues.  They give me alive feelings
Chris Schammert

Offline Surefoot

Me personally though, I don't mind it but if there is one thing that all of us can agree on it's that we'd all much rather pay 300 for a full metal body rather than a plastic fame. (Also yes I know the FC660 exist but even that thing still uses plastic for most of it's body)
There's IKBC if you want cheaper all metal frames (MF87 and MF108)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Gateron Red
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
Cherry MX Brown.

I personally feel that Cherry MX Brown's are just a rubber dome without the rubbery part, and is more comfortable to type on because you don't feel the rubbery part.

Sorry, but i'm all linear.

Offline TeacherGeek

Cherry MX Brown.

In my opinion, its "tactile bump" isn't strong enough that I could consider it more than background noise or an artefact.

I like to think that I've made at least some people aware that there are actually tactile alternatives out there and that people shouldn't settle for mediocrity just because it's convenient.

I actually listened some of your reviews about those Cherry MX Browns and have now realise your comment was sarcasm.

Offline killyou

Cherry MX Blue. I like them but on the other hand I just installed Kailh BOX Pinks and they are superb however tad too hard for my fingers. I'm contemplating changing the springs. Apart from the better stability, lack of click jacket and sound/feel Kailh BOX Pinks have a good ratio between tactile force and bottom out force. They feel very natural to type on and definitely faster than MX Blue but that didn't make me dislike Blues. I don't think I'll be getting rid of the Blues but won't be my to-go clicky switch as of now.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
unlubed ergo clear
I love Elzy

Offline flurryvelvet

memchanical? some of 'em are just dome with sliders

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.

Razer mecha membrane isn't even dome with slider as I recall, it's just a noisy rubber dome.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Every switch has a good amount of people who hate it, the hard part is finding a switch most people actually like.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline natAT

I often use the mostly disliked Fujitsu Peerless switches (in a clean FKB4725, where the stabilizers haven’t been worn to heck). Nowhere near “great” switches, but they are usable. The board is also very tough and has survived a lot. 

I travel a fair bit internationally with family for long periods and I often can't take my more valuable boards with me. The Peerless is a decent (if big and heavy) compromise.

Offline frydaja

Razer mecha membrane isn't even dome with slider as I recall, it's just a noisy rubber dome.

Unremarkable too. Take the clicker out and it will feel the same as a 15$ HP keyboard. Both keyfeel and case texture.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Cherry ML. Been using them exclusively for years. Love the sound, shorter activation point, and smaller profile. Most of the stickiness from off-presses goes away in time.

Offline _izix

• Its only like $50, I'll just eat Ramen.
I love my Box Royals but most people at my work who try it do not like how tactile it is.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
Cherry ML. Been using them exclusively for years. Love the sound, shorter activation point, and smaller profile. Most of the stickiness from off-presses goes away in time.
At leasts its not cherry my  :rolleyes:

Offline Dr.Hades

• "Trust me"
This picked up much more traction than I thought it would so I'm just gonna leave another controversial switch that I use right here -> Holy Pandas

Offline Tactile

I have an ML4100 in the closet which I pull out about once a year. Mine is one without Windows keys. I always enjoy the typing feel and I also think it's a very clever design with the embedded numpad. I usually use it for about a day, nodding and saying, "This is a really nice keyboard" to myself. Then it goes back into the closet. Don't know why - I'm just not a 75% keyboard guy, I guess.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile

If you're me, than any rubber dome is a "noisy rubber dome"

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
MX White.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Findecanor

My switch is...

Membrane! :|

Maybe because i'm forced to use it at school...
Really?
This and this is what membrane keyboards look like.

🍉

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
MX White.
Are they any better about being consistent? Back in the day you never knew how much click you were going to get.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
MX White.
Are they any better about being consistent? Back in the day you never knew how much click you were going to get.

Yup, they were retooled at some point in the last few years. Spring is slightly lighter than the old variant and there is no inconsistency any more :)
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear