Author Topic: Apple Keyboard vs Mechanical  (Read 53339 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Re: Apple Keyboard vs Mechanical
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 10:12:19 »
Apart from the mech superiority, apple keyboards are pretty tolerable to type on
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 10:19:20 »
Apart from the mech superiority, apple keyboards are pretty tolerable to type on

This. If I'm not on my Topre or one of my CODEs, I want to be on an Apple keyboard. They absolutely nailed the good-feeling chiclet-style keyboard. No other low-profile board has ever come close.

Offline Altis

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 10:40:59 »
Did try the Razer Mechanical keyboard. Looked back almost immediately when the little typing that I was able to do went straight down the toilet. I gave it a whirl for a whole day and didn't find it comfortable at all.

They're certainly quite different. I use an Apple keyboard sometimes, and I actually really liked it for a long time. You might find that you really like something like a Topre switch keyboard (Realforce 87U for example).

The Razer keyboard and switches are certainly not the only mechanicals out there!
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline knightjp

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 10:48:00 »
From what i hear, Apple made a mechanical keyboard in the 80s called the Apple Extended Keyboard. From what I'm reading online, it was one of the best keyboards Apple ever made and is still desirable today; just like IBM's Model M.
I believe that the Matias Tactile Pro is an attempt to recreate that keyboard, so I'm wondering whether I should get one of those or the SpaceSaver one from Unicomp.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:14:21 »

This. If I'm not on my Topre or one of my CODEs, I want to be on an Apple keyboard. They absolutely nailed the good-feeling chiclet-style keyboard. No other low-profile board has ever come close.

I am confused, is this the unpopular keyboard opinions thread?

:p :p :p

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:28:37 »
From what i hear, Apple made a mechanical keyboard in the 80s called the Apple Extended Keyboard. From what I'm reading online, it was one of the best keyboards Apple ever made and is still desirable today; just like IBM's Model M.
I believe that the Matias Tactile Pro is an attempt to recreate that keyboard, so I'm wondering whether I should get one of those or the SpaceSaver one from Unicomp.

The AEK and AEK2 were good keyboards, I prefer the original with the orange or salmon Alps, but AEK2 is more common and cheaper.

You will need to have an ADB-to-USB converter to use them on a modern computer, and they are very prone to nasty yellowing.

edit: here are some nice-looking specimens at a good price:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75629.msg1878643#msg1878643
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 13:26:13 by fohat.digs »
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 13:26:58 »
This is a very subjective thing, so it's a bit tricky, and almost impossible to say something without pissing some people off. To me, this boils down to a choice between a relatively good RD and a ****ty mech. Which you prefer depends partly on your preference and partly on your level of MK snobbery, I'd say :p .

Personally, I would prefer many other boards over either, and I don't like the styling of either the Apple, or any Razer keyboard. Some keyboards, including a few gaming keyboards, have some nifty side features, so given the choice between two keyboards with switches I'm not too hot on nor like the look of, I'd probably let it boil down to what other features the keyboards have.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline knightjp

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 13:36:20 »
The AEK and AEK2 were good keyboards, I prefer the original with the orange or salmon Alps, but AEK2 is more common and cheaper.

You will need to have an ADB-to-USB converter to use them on a modern computer, and they are very prone to nasty yellowing.

Well the yellowing doesn't bother me. If I could get one of those keyboards I'm sure that I would be happy. But I think that going for the Matias Tactile Pro would be a better choice.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 13:53:47 »
I took my old Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 out of mothballs just to try out today. I still felt the Apple keyboard better than it.

What I haven't heard mentioned in this thread is the importance of 'when' the key actuates. The Microsoft 4000 doesn't actuate until the key hits bottom. All membrane keyboards are this way. But a mechanical keyboard (Cherry MX or Topre) actuates 2mm into the 4mm keystroke. That's a significant point that needs to be made because it totally changes the typing experience.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:05:54 »
What I haven't heard mentioned in this thread is the importance of 'when' the key actuates. The Microsoft 4000 doesn't actuate until the key hits bottom. All membrane keyboards are this way. But a mechanical keyboard (Cherry MX or Topre) actuates 2mm into the 4mm keystroke. That's a significant point that needs to be made because it totally changes the typing experience.

I'm sure that the Microsoft does not have a tactile feel at all. Did feel like it did at all. The apple keyboard seems to have some sort of tactile feel. But if you are asking to what point does the key actuate, I can't say. All I can say is that I find myself slightly faster with less mistakes when trying to touch-type on the Apple keyboard.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:15:55 »
Alps switches activate even higher up than Cherry. That is one of their most endearing characteristics.

The "jailhouse" mod for Cherries raises the actuation point, too.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:54:41 »

I'm sure that the Microsoft does not have a tactile feel at all. Did feel like it did at all. The apple keyboard seems to have some sort of tactile feel. But if you are asking to what point does the key actuate, I can't say. All I can say is that I find myself slightly faster with less mistakes when trying to touch-type on the Apple keyboard.

Don't confuse switch feel with switch actuation point. Cherry MX Reds and Blacks are linear switches (no tactility) and still actuate 2mm into the 4mm keystroke. But no matter. It sounds like you've found a keyboard you like, which is really all that matters. Keyboard preferences are purely subjective. Stay with the Apple if you like it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:56:18 by Macsmasher »

Offline knightjp

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 02:04:58 »
I think at some point I will change the Apple keyboard. For the moment, I'm using it because it is the only one I like out of the two. I do feel that the keys do become slightly hard after using it for a while, but then after a rest period its back. I'm guessing that is because of tired fingers I think after trying to touch-type (unsuccessfully) for long periods of time.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 10:47:30 »

You can pick up one of those AEK IIs quite cheaply, and they'll last forever. You will need an ADB to USB adapter, though -- search for Griffin iMate and you'll find them on eBay, etc.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:31:34 »
Like some others have said, keyboards are a very subjective and personal choice.  The best advice I would give is to see if you can give one a try--but I'd only do that after you can notice the difference in your typing speed, accuracy, or the condition of your hands.  If not, you'll be like a kid with a driving permit test driving a Lambo or Ferrari.  Get your skills up and then get the tools you need, otherwise you may invest in the wrong tool.
Aesthetics is always a top priority in Apple's design agenda, I just wonder if people want a keyboard to stare at it or to type.
Seriously!  Function>form for me any day!

[rant]
But I think that's a key to their success.  All the women of the world want their crap and buy it endlessly like a fashion item.  Don't get me wrong, some of their items have changed the game (like their keyboard we're discussing in this thread), but the cost of such form+functional products are so overpriced that only those that don't understand value seem be the first adopters.

My wife loves their phones and has gone through 3 upgrades in the last 2 years.  I still have my military spec NEC Terrain and can out type her on texts any day of the week since I have a hardware keyboard.  I can do everything she can except I don't have to worry about dropping, spilling, or the occasional throw across the room.  Function>form as mine is thicker, but put a case on hers to protect it like mine and it's the same.

Apple changed the cellphone game with the touchscreen only option, and everyone followed suit.  Personally, I hate it.  Who initially thought about touching their phones would turn them on?  Kinky perverts!  My Treo 650 had a touchscreen and a keyboard and it was much faster to get anything done because it had buttons to do anything you could via touchscreen--answer a call, send a text, get to the main menu.  The combination was pretty killer.  Even the android platform sucks at this.  It takes 5 steps to dial a number from a text because of all the stupid questions and bad UI decisions along the way.  Placement of where you have to touch things in sequence on a task can be at the opposite ends of the screen (who thought that was a good idea?) and there's no buttons to speed through the crap.

Take redialing a number for instance.  On the Treo 650, you could press the key to answer once and it would bring up your call log, you could select the number either using the 4-way directional pad or touch it--done.  Or even faster if it was the same number, you just pressed it once to bring up the list and one more time to dial the most recent number.  I could redial faster than it takes to select the number on either Apple or Android phones.  Who forgot the UI rules about being only a few steps away from your task?

The Apple IOS stuff is so easy a 3 year old can use it.  That's great, but I'm not 3 years old.  Dummying down the whole computing experience opened it up to a wider audience, but all it did in the long run was reset progress, going from things like mech keyboards and solid input devices that made interaction with the system quick and efficient via a button press, to endless touching of a glass screen wearing out not only the wrist and arm, but even more body parts.  If their way was superior, products like the Matias Tactile One wouldn't exist, but 90% of the people out there don't know anything about rsi because they're first generation into using such products.  Those of us that have been computing and gaming since before computing was 'cool' know all about bad UIs, interfaces and the potential damage to body parts over years of use.  And our wisdom was cast aside for flashy products and fashion branding.  Idiots.

And to think, Microsoft bailed out Apple back in the late 1990s/early 2000s by buying a stake in the company and putting people on their board.  I guess you can't have good without evil and they knew it...
[/rant]
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:35:05 by SamirD »

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 10:53:30 »
My Treo 650 had a touchscreen and a keyboard and it was much faster to get anything done because it had buttons to do anything you could via touchscreen--answer a call, send a text, get to the main menu.  The combination was pretty killer.  Even the android platform sucks at this.  It takes 5 steps to dial a number from a text because of all the stupid questions and bad UI decisions along the way.  Placement of where you have to touch things in sequence on a task can be at the opposite ends of the screen (who thought that was a good idea?) and there's no buttons to speed through the crap.

Another big vote for tactile interfaces. On my old Motorola flip phone. I had three or four frequent numbers mapped to the turbodial, so all I had to do was open the device and hold down a single number key for a couple seconds and it would start dialling that person. You could literally do this without looking at the phone. Now on my smartphone, I have to go through a number of UI elements, all of which require looking at the screen because it's just a rectangle of hot glass in my hand, with almost no hardware switches to interact with in a tactile manner. I actually wonder whether I could actually dial 911 on a smartphone if I was semi-conscious. As versatile as these things are, they really neglect all the decades (centuries?) of cumulative advances in tactile interfaces.

And what's really worse: now we have touchscreen interfaces in CARS, which is just an atrocious idea.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2015, 10:55:48 by dchadwick »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 12:35:59 »
And what's really worse: now we have touchscreen interfaces in CARS, which is just an atrocious idea.
You know, I never thought of that until I remember renting an Infiniti Q50 recently and was trying to get things adjusted while driving in Atlanta traffic--I might as well have been looking at my phone every two seconds.  God, what an awful idea of putting touchscreens in cars without tactile feedback.

Even in our own car that has a touchscreen, I never use it--I'm always using the steering wheel controls since I have tactile feedback and can keep my eyes on the road.

I wonder when someone 50 years from now will 'discover' buttons again.  I await the day...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 13:05:47 »
all I had to do was open the device and hold down a single number key for a couple seconds and it would start dialling that person.

That is the one huge thing that I miss with smart phones.

I held onto my monochrome Nokia until about 5 years ago because all color screens had screen savers that went black after some minutes.
The monochrome screen was always on - a huge benfit.

Offline tufty

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 07:45:12 »
Well the yellowing doesn't bother me. If I could get one of those keyboards I'm sure that I would be happy. But I think that going for the Matias Tactile Pro would be a better choice.

I've got both - well, all 4, to be honest.

Chiclet board - I'm personally not keen on it, but it's surprisingly comfortable to type on, and closer in feel to a mechanical board than a "mash the **** out of it" dome keyboard with "classic" keys.  Also, you can use it to wedge a short table leg and stop your desk wobbling.

The Apple White Board.  This is the only time I've ever been in agreement with our resident troll Mr M. Windows.  It's an atrocity to type on.  It does look very nice, though.

Matias Tactile Pro.  Nice to type on, but loud.  Very loud.  Loud enough that I've ripped the case off mine and work with the board on some neoprene to stop some of the "ringing".  And Mrs tufty still complains it drowns out the TV.  Half the lettering has worn off.

Apple M0116 with salmon Alps (pretty much an cut down version of the AEK / AEK II).  Sublime to type on (with Hasu's converter or iMate).  The *only* flaws with these are : QWERTY, only 2kro, external adaptor required.

I've got / had a bunch of other Apple boards over the years, all of which are rubber dome / collapsing rubber tube designs, and all of which are "rubber dome" to type on.

Matias' Quiet Pro should bring the Matias offering closer to / beyond the Apple Alps boards.  I guess we'll be able to see if they stand the test of time as well as the Apple boards have in around 30 years or so.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 October 2015, 07:47:19 by tufty »

Offline knightjp

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 09:43:28 »
I've decided to go in for an AEK or AEK2. If I can find one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 00:25:16 »
I found myself using my Apple aluminium keyboard last weekend when I reinstalled OS X and needed to press certain keys as the computer was booting.

As different keyboards map Alt/Command differently, and sometimes remapped after the OS started, and in this case there was no OS, I needed an authentic Apple keyboard.

It is not as I remember it.  Perhaps because I have not used it for so long, but it felt quite horrible.  I was happy to get back to my CODE, and then my SSK, and now my HHKB.

Apple keyboard has gone back on the shelf.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline knightjp

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 03:32:25 »
I suppose that the Apple keyboard is not to everyone's taste. Some people like it and prefer it. It has the same feel as if you're working on a laptop. So I guess the prepares you for working on either machine.

Having said that, I would be getting myself an AEK or AEK2.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 04:45:40 »
Oh I used to love my Apple keyboard.  So much I even got a second one to use at work.

But using more conventional mechanical keyboards seems to have spoiled me a bit :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline knightjp

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 11:21:21 »
I still love my Apple A1243.. I would consider it nostalgic to have an AEK.. If I would ever get a mechanical keyboard, that would be it. :)

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 19:30:00 »

I for one hate them, I much prefer even a regular laptop keyboard over the zero-travel crap Apple makes.

Offline Altis

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 22:26:21 »
I suppose that the Apple keyboard is not to everyone's taste. Some people like it and prefer it. It has the same feel as if you're working on a laptop. So I guess the prepares you for working on either machine.

Having said that, I would be getting myself an AEK or AEK2.

I think it's more like how laptop keyboards used to be. The new one is more shallow, but the one most people are familiar with was pretty good.

One nice thing about them is that they're very quiet, so it's nice when everyone around you is using them in an office compared with some cheap Dell keyboards.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline PrinsPils

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 23:04:18 »
Apple keyboards are pretty okay to be honest, i have felt worse keyboards. But! the new ones with the even shorter travel distance are incredible crap and feels more like typing on a touchscreen. Mechanical/topre any day!

Offline knightjp

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 01:31:21 »
I think that once someone gets used to the travel & feel of the mechanical keyboards, you tend to want to stick with that.

If you think that typing on the new Apple ones are typing on a touchscreen, then imagine what it would be like typing on this...

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 08:29:08 »
But! the new ones with the even shorter travel distance are incredible crap and feels more like typing on a touchscreen.
That's interesting that you say this as my brother now spends 50% of his work time on a touchscreen.  I guess the idea is to make the transition from one to the other more seamless?

Offline tararais

• Forum Justice Warrior
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 11:04:39 »
I think that once someone gets used to the travel & feel of the mechanical keyboards, you tend to want to stick with that.

If you think that typing on the new Apple ones are typing on a touchscreen, then imagine what it would be like typing on this...
Show Image

At least you feel cool typing on that. Not like an exploited consumer.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 12:17:37 »

LOL.. anyone else see the Apple keyboard on his desk?  :p :thumb:

Offline knightjp

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 12:23:23 »
When I was initially learning to touch type, one of the best keyboards that I ever used was the Apple M2452.

But I didn't last as long as I had hoped it would....

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 16:16:03 »
What switches does it use?

Offline knightjp

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 22:37:29 »
I'm not sure... Pretty sure that it was some sort of membrane keyboard. But it was a good one. The best one that I've felt yet. Even better than the newer A1243 that I'm using now. :)

It had the perfect level of travel too. However I will say this. The A1243 that I'm using now is rather reliable. Going on the 3rd year and it has not failed on me once. The M2452 didn't last as long as this... Maybe it was because I got that secondhand.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 11:48:16 »
Dakseyboard makes a  mech for mac. I think apples leyboard is like typing on membrane chiclet :confused: Being a windows user tho, i couldn't care less  ;)
hi.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 14:37:00 »
Das keyboard is a very good keyboard.

I wonder how this glass keyboard would be like to type on.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 14:48:09 »
probaby awful.
hi.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 16:33:06 »
Awful, beyond a doubt. Probably even worse than it look, too. Fingers will probably hurt within minutes.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 16:34:24 »
i could imagine it would be like typing on really sticky mx clears.
hi.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 09:32:27 »
I think the Apple keyboard the OP posted is actually pretty decent to type on, as are the other permutations of it (the bluetooth version, the ones on MacBooks, etc). This emphatically does not apply to the newer, "butterfly switch" Mac keyboards, which are absolutely the worst thing I've ever tried to type on short of a tablet.

I bounce back between my HHKB and my MacBook Air, and while they're vastly different experiences, I have to admit I don't think I type any faster or better on the HHKB. I do enjoy it more though.

The one thing I do miss when I'm on the MacBook is any kind of auditory feedback, so I use an app that generates tiny clicks when I type. It's still quieter than the HHKB, but manages to close the circuit between fingers and brain in a way that I find very helpful. http://sustworks.com/site/prod_keyclick_overview.html
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 October 2016, 09:37:33 by dchadwick »

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 09:33:43 »

Show Image

It would be like typing on glass -- so, utterly terrible for human fingers. But probably only slightly worse than the newer generation of MacBook keyboards, which have near-zero key travel.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 09:39:20 »

Show Image

It would be like typing on glass -- so, utterly terrible for human fingers. But probably only slightly worse than the newer generation of MacBook keyboards, which have near-zero key travel.
Ugh reminds me of HP laptop keyboards. They have almost zero key travel and it bugs the everliving crap out of me. It makes an otherwise decent laptop feel really cheap.
Luckily I got a mech to put on top of it. :D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 09:48:44 »
I like the keyboard on my 2010 MBP. I heard they've changed the switches since then; I've yet to try the new ones, but my computer is slowly dying so I may need to buy a new one next year.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 12:30:20 »
I like the keyboard on my 2010 MBP. I heard they've changed the switches since then; I've yet to try the new ones, but my computer is slowly dying so I may need to buy a new one next year.
Not sure if you will like the new MBP...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 12:49:30 »
Just use what accommodates your own preferences, needs and feels better; there is no need to inflame another futile discussion of this against that. If you like the apple then use it, I like my Thinkpad keyboard, but I would not use it beyond those situations when a dedicated mechanical keyboard is not available. But, that is just me, it is not a rule, nor anything close.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 13:51:48 »
Just use what accommodates your own preferences, needs and feels better; there is no need to inflame another futile discussion of this against that. If you like the apple then use it, I like my Thinkpad keyboard, but I would not use it beyond those situations when a dedicated mechanical keyboard is not available. But, that is just me, it is not a rule, nor anything close.
Thank you for the advice.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 20:46:59 »

IMO ThinkPad keyboards are the best notebook keyboards made - if there are no mech keyboards to plug in where you are, you can rest assured that you'll have the best experience currently available in a notebook.

The Apple Keyboard pictured in the original post is pretty good for casual use - and it's only $49. I may pick one up before they discontinue it. Way better than the current BT "Magic Keyboard" for $99 or 2016 rMBP keyboard. MacOS is still the best, but Apple notebooks and desktops are sadly no longer in the vanguard of excellent design.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 06:05:34 »
MacOS is still the best, but Apple notebooks and desktops are sadly no longer in the vanguard of excellent design.
One reason why I use a Hackintosh.  :D

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 06:55:44 »
I own the same apple keyboard as you.

I feel that a pok3r with mx reds and orings is vastly superior to the apple A1243, which in my opinion is much better than most keyboards that I've tried.

I also use a g80-1800 with uniqey clips, which is more silent than the apple one.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 07:44:31 »
MacOS is still the best, but Apple notebooks and desktops are sadly no longer in the vanguard of excellent design.
One reason why I use a Hackintosh.  :D

Yeah that's very tempting to do. I'd like to get a base model ThinkPad P70 (17" screen, quad-core i7 laptop) to try that out. That would be seriously cool!