Author Topic: Dolch PAC keyboard in a MY white case  (Read 10441 times)

Offline nntnam

Dolch PAC keyboard in a MY white case
« on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 05:51:18 »
Got this Frankenstein from taobao. The keycaps look great, most of the keys look like new, no shine except for the spacebar. However, there are some caps with small scratches  :( :( :(.

BONUS: added some SP's caps

« Last Edit: Mon, 27 August 2012, 06:08:52 by nntnam »
░▒▓ KMAC | FILCO MJ2 | HHKB | PHANTOM ▓▒░

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
Re: Dolch PAC keyboard in a MY white case
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 07:52:15 »
I like it, another nice color combination on the 1800's
I think I was looking at that same board on taobao but never ended up getting it.
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 07:59:17 »
Shine on spacebar might be factory shine. I have a NIB g81 with double shots, 7x spacebar, it was shiny as hell. My dolch from taobao also had the same shine.

Do you know what year code the case is from? I tried to fit my dolch in a 1998 case and it wont fit.

Offline nntnam

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 08:13:31 »
Based on the serial no. which has letter "L", the case should be produced in 1999.

I don't understand the term "factory shine". Did they forget sandblasting the keycaps? My spacbar actually still has some texture on it.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 08:14:10 »
The one I used is year code J which is 1997 according to the wiki. Any that came from a winkeyless board should work though.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 08:19:41 »
looks gooood man :D
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 09:40:11 »
hey, look at by 1813 HFU, this is not a frankenstien borad :D

Offline nntnam

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 09:49:27 »

Thanks. To be honest, I'm not sure I like typing on this keyboard. The keyboard seems to be lacking of rigidity. It tends to sink in when I type fast or press some keys hard enough. Has anyone experienced this on vintage cherry keyboard?

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 10:53:26 »
This looks beautiful.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 10:55:25 »

Thanks. To be honest, I'm not sure I like typing on this keyboard. The keyboard seems to be lacking of rigidity. It tends to sink in when I type fast or press some keys hard enough. Has anyone experienced this on vintage cherry keyboard?

yea they are all old and flexing and you don't want something like that.
you should sell it me :)
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 11:04:06 »

gimme dem caps bro
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline nntnam

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 11:04:54 »

Yeah, considering it right now. I will give the keyboard one more chance before selling it. I will lubricate it and see how the type feeling change. The switches may need some lube ;D.

@DangGWanG: thanks.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 11:10:50 »

Yeah, considering it right now. I will give the keyboard one more chance before selling it. I will lubricate it and see how the type feeling change. The switches may need some lube ;D .

@DangGWanG: thanks.

I call dibs =) =)
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 11:53:05 »
Looking awesome!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 11:57:53 »
To solve the flexing, get g81-1800***/1900*** and remove the switches. Keep the membrane for insulator and put the plate under the g80 pcb. It has a tight fit when putting back case together, so just be firm but it fits in there.
Oh, and I need to thank tinlong for posting a nice clear picture of the label. I made a new sticker so mine is legit too now LOL.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 August 2012, 12:03:22 by lysol »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 17:18:03 »
I wonder if the label is real or fake. Have you looked at the circuit board? Do the soldering joints on the PCB for the LEDs and the cable look any different than the others? Inside a Dolch keyboard, the LEDs are on a separate daughter-board.

By the way, a Dolch case is sturdier and flatter than a G80-1800 case, but it also needs more space on the desk.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 17:25:22 »
that's a beaut. i love putting keyboards in new cases. here's my g80 in g81 case with ccng (bad cell pic):
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Tenkey

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 20:44:36 »
Nice find, not much of these left on taobao either

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 20:49:05 »
To solve the flexing, get g81-1800***/1900*** and remove the switches. Keep the membrane for insulator and put the plate under the g80 pcb. It has a tight fit when putting back case together, so just be firm but it fits in there.
Oh, and I need to thank tinlong for posting a nice clear picture of the label. I made a new sticker so mine is legit too now LOL.
You are welcome lysol. It is very strange that the board come with a dolch board model number...
P.S. My board is 100% legit

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 20:51:38 »

I'll have to see if this works with the g81-3000. Thanks for the tip (just the tip?)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 20:55:01 »
I wonder if the label is real or fake. Have you looked at the circuit board? Do the soldering joints on the PCB for the LEDs and the cable look any different than the others? Inside a Dolch keyboard, the LEDs are on a separate daughter-board.

By the way, a Dolch case is sturdier and flatter than a G80-1800 case, but it also needs more space on the desk.
I think the label is real, all the product number on the PCB, daughter board says 1813HFU and the serial no is 297(daughter board), 293 (PCB) with a date code N25. But sad that i havent noticed about soldering joints, leds, etc.... and i have sold this board already

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 21:01:54 »
Dolch does not really have the board number, it was discovered when open the keyboard. Many others are like this also for OEM as with the Commodore and Amiga and some others that only know the model by finding it on the pcb. Perhaps Cherry had a bunch of Dolch keycaps left over after Dolch switched to domes, so they made it a product? Who knows...

Under plating should work with any G80 that has a G81 equivalent of same generation just like the case swapping. Generally they make the plate and pcb the same shape with same post holes and so on to share the case.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 21:03:06 »
Ah I may run into trouble then -- I had to slightly modify (remove some posts) the case to get the g80 PCB to fit. Will give it a shot though :)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 21:04:31 »
Well you just might need to do some drilling... or snipping. I am sure you could do it, just depend how much effort you want to put in. Remove the MY switch is already quite some work.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 21:05:43 »
Heh yeah. I have a few so I dont mind doing it destructively to one. and the less MY boards in the world the better :D

Offline aeta

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 06:16:23 »
Where did you find the keycaps on taobao?
Keycool 84, IBM Model M SSK, Noppoo Choc Pro
http://imgur.com/a/z2x2p#0

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 10:08:58 »
Where did you find the keycaps on taobao?

These get snapped up pretty fast since the Korean Taobao buyer is very active. Most of the time i see that person's name in the buyer's list.
Managed to bug a seller to hold it, but I was out for a few days and the same Korean agent got the keyboard.

Based on the serial no. which has letter "L", the case should be produced in 1999.

I don't understand the term "factory shine". Did they forget sandblasting the keycaps? My spacbar actually still has some texture on it.
I don't know how to explain it either. I was surprised to have received a shiny spacebar from a NIB G81. But when I compared my DOLCH, it has the same type of shine. Unlike the shine you get when the spacebar is used. The Shine is quite even throughout the spacebar.

The one I used is year code J which is 1997 according to the wiki. Any that came from a winkeyless board should work though.

Sixty did mentioned that the older and newer 1800 Cherry boards have different mounting, but I can't find it anywhere at DT.
At any rate, might it have anything to do with the fact that I'm trying to fit a G80 into a G81 winkeyless case?
Have you any idea.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 10:15:57 »
Put winkey in winkeyless is more work, can do it though. I let sth go into more detail as I have not done that, always matched same same because I am a lazy one. I did not even bother to solder the ps/2 cable on my dolch, just made it together with tape :O

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 12:32:26 »
I had to remove the tabs on the case -- I just used a razor but  I need to take a dremel to it to clean it up a bit.