Author Topic: [IC] The Raine [UPDATE 3!]: Proto in hand and built, pics inside.  (Read 39610 times)

Offline Bleddyn

[IC] The Raine [UPDATE 3!]: Proto in hand and built, pics inside.
« on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 19:17:32 »
Hi all, I'm here posting on behalf of Reddit user /u/parallelojam as he doesn't use Geekhack. His words below are his own and replicate his Reddit and Keebtalk posts and i am here to answer any questions as I've been involved with the project from the start in some way or another.

The Raine is a board originally inspired by the 1800Mini. Like many others I was enamored by the layout and it’s quirky charm, and for the sake of it I got to work on trying to make an ISO-friendly version of it. After repeated amendments, and with input from various other users on the MKUK Discord server we’ve arrived at the layout you see before you. My aim with this board is to keep costs low, and deliver a unique board at a reasonable price.

In essence, it is inspired by both the 1800 layout, and the compact functionality of 40% boards. As I’m a user of both 40% and 1800 boards, it feels to me like a perfect combination of the two. The footprint is only slightly larger than a 65% at 16.25u wide, and mostly uses standard keys (besides a 1.5u shift, but I would personally map that as a function key).

I already have a prototype on the way, but wanted to gauge interest and if anyone has any honest feedback on the design I’m all ears, although in all honesty I believe the design is as good as finalized at this point. I will be adding a couple of better quality renders from Janglad soon. Updates from both will be added in due course.

GB Thread
Additonal Renders
Fully Built Proto Gallery
Google Form
Link to the MechMarket post for clarity

Features/technical information:
  • Limited to 25 units
  • High profile, top-mounted design
  • QMK compatible PCB
  • Full 6061 aluminium construction
  • 19mm switch spacing
  • Centre-mounted USB Mini-B connector
  • 7° typing angle
  • 331.60 x 117.80 x 34.50 (mm)
  • WKL option only
  • Unbuilt weight est. 1.6kg

Colours TBC, price estimated $200* + shipping
*subject to change, in case there’s any other costs I haven’t considered.

[UPDATE 11/03/19]
Renders from Janglad were received today and have now been posted, one in the main post of GMK Minimal on the Raine.

[UPDATE 15/03/19]
We have some images from the manufacture showing progress on the prototype, for the eagle eyed ones of you on here you will likely spot a mistake made in the plate in which the stab cutouts are upside down so im just going to address that here first, our fault. Sent the wrong plate file and this is what happens. This is why we do prototypes guys.

[UPDATE 05/04/19]

So we have a big update guys, prototype is in hand and built. Minor issues with certain parts that would be addressed in GB, such as sending the wrong plate file without the flipped space stab cutouts(doh), hang marks from the anodization, which the manu told us about and offered to re-do, but we wanted it in hand as its only a proto weren't fussed about MINOR (they were really minor) hang marks and a very small dink near the esc key i cant even see in the pics.
Here is a list of updates and changes for the final.

• changing usb connector to type-c
  • reshaping the usb cutout
  • adding engraved logo on the bottom
  • will offer winkey option in GB
  • amending plate file as stab cutout for ISO enter was a little too tight
  • slightly amending fillet radius on inside of the case as pcb was catching.

I'll leave you with a Fully built image above and a gallery link will be added in also.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 September 2019, 08:48:36 by Bleddyn »

Offline OtherAndrew

Re: [IC] The Raine-m³
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 19:21:26 »
sorry chief

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 19:30:10 »
the... advantage of a numpad is that you can quickly type operator like + - * / but now you remove them (or put them on other layer) is there any reasons to do so? (it's subjective so you can just disregard this)

why don't use Usb Type C? (I know USB Mini-B is easy to work with)

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 19:41:02 »
the... advantage of a numpad is that you can quickly type operator like + - * / but now you remove them (or put them on other layer) is there any reasons to do so? (it's subjective so you can just disregard this)

I'll address the second point first, USB-Mini B was used as it is still something that almost everyone has cables for is familiar with and is also cheaper and easier to work with, for a first time board it made sense to go with something tried and true.

As for the first question of why remove the mentioned keys, to take the 1800 form factor and shrink it as small as we could get away with while retaining a high degree of functionality, this board is designed for 40% enthusiasts first and experimentalists second.

Offline trabbit

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 19:56:04 »

I'll address the second point first, USB-Mini B was used as it is still something that almost everyone has cables for is familiar with and is also cheaper and easier to work with, for a first time board it made sense to go with something tried and true.

As for the first question of why remove the mentioned keys, to take the 1800 form factor and shrink it as small as we could get away with while retaining a high degree of functionality, this board is designed for 40% enthusiasts first and experimentalists second.

These guys should check out THE50's numpad, they will definitely be panic.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 May 2019, 20:46:21 by trabbit »

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:07:05 »

These guys should check out THE50's numbed, they will definitely be panic.

THE50 is a great looking board, here the numpad was just part of the 1800 inspiration which was a big design point and a huge focus for the board which the 40% community really lacks. There are a number of great looking 40% boards out there but not many boards that break from the norm like THE50 does and hopefully this does as well.

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:18:24 »
I'm typing on a THE50 right now and I would still get this! But I'm a sucker for both 40% and 1800 layouts so I guess I'm the target audience  :))
Glad to see more innovation in this area! I'm not normally an ISO person but I think it would actually look better than ANSI on this board.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:19:23 »
I actually think this is a pretty cool design (but I would, as I love The50). The addition of arrows at the expense of a bottom row key is a decent tradeoff.

Offline trabbit

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:26:30 »

These guys should check out THE50's numbed, they will definitely be panic.

THE50 is a great looking board, here the numpad was just part of the 1800 inspiration which was a big design point and a huge focus for the board which the 40% community really lacks. There are a number of great looking 40% boards out there but not many boards that break from the norm like THE50 does and hopefully this does as well.

I like the design and I think the numpad is totally acceptable and will work as great. I think the designer did a great job on the whole concept. It will be a unique keyboard.

Good luck with GB.

Offline trabbit

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:31:28 »
I'm typing on a THE50 right now and I would still get this! But I'm a sucker for both 40% and 1800 layouts so I guess I'm the target audience  :))
Glad to see more innovation in this area! I'm not normally an ISO person but I think it would actually look better than ANSI on this board.

Darn, seems like my users are all attrached. Just kidding, acutally I know the designer. I think we should not miss this keyboard. 

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:34:55 »

Darn, seems like my users are all attrached. Just kidding, acutally I know the designer. I think we should not miss this keyboard. 

Glad that you like the design, and yeah you are the target audience really haha, glad we got it right.

I've just been told you two have been talking by him actually, promise this isn't trying to steal your thunder :))

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:37:03 »

Typing on my THE50 right now, too.  I also like this weird 40% 1800 mashup.

Offline trabbit

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:44:13 »

Glad that you like the design, and yeah you are the target audience really haha, glad we got it right.

I've just been told you two have been talking by him actually, promise this isn't trying to steal your thunder :))

I think they don't mind to get some more keebs like this at all! 
Actually I was planning to open a IC about the progress and ideas about THE50 R2 recently, but I was too lazy to do some rendering.

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:45:19 »

+1 on seeing more killer innovations like this. guess I gotta go iso.....

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:55:45 »

+1 on seeing more killer innovations like this. guess I gotta go iso.....

Not necessarily, Ansi support is included. I think i will put the alternate layout image in the thread it self as you aren't alone in the assumption is ISO only. It was originally designed as an ISO only option but was upgraded in my opinion (ansi user here) to support other options.

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 21:16:03 »
The reddit post had a clarification image in a reply, where the two ANSI options were circled separately. I found that image helpful, as my brain somehow didn't correctly parse the original KLE image at first. I'd recommend including that one in the OP, or taking the original KLE and just shifting the bottom ANSI option down .25u or something to separate it visually.

(All that said I'd definitely get this as my first ISO board, just to shake things up. I like the proportions of the original design!)

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 21:20:37 »
The reddit post had a clarification image in a reply, where the two ANSI options were circled separately. I found that image helpful, as my brain somehow didn't correctly parse the original KLE image at first. I'd recommend including that one in the OP, or taking the original KLE and just shifting the bottom ANSI option down .25u or something to separate it visually.

(All that said I'd definitely get this as my first ISO board, just to shake things up. I like the proportions of the original design!)

Thank you for reminding me that he made that image. Main post has been updated.

I am off to bed as its 3:20 in the morning so i will catch up with this in the morning when i get into work.

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 00:45:56 »

Agreed. So clean looking as iso.

Offline heyitsqi

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 01:38:51 »
Was interested then saw non USB-C.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 02:21:38 »
I'm in. YES.

THE50 is my go-to board for everything now.
I think if people got used to tap-dancing with QMK more, they would also find that it's way more efficient than having separate keys for everything.
Even inputting things like passwords and doing data entry--my hands travel way less with this kind of layout than with any other size board.

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 02:27:07 »

Yeah, the lack of USB-C is my only gripe with this board. I know it's apparently a little harder to manage, but almost all of my boards have USB-C now, all of my nice cables are USB-C, and the port is generally superior. I'd love to gently nudge u/parallelojam (via Bleddyn) to consider updating the connector!  :D

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 04:24:30 »

Yeah, the lack of USB-C is my only gripe with this board. I know it's apparently a little harder to manage, but almost all of my boards have USB-C now, all of my nice cables are USB-C, and the port is generally superior. I'd love to gently nudge u/parallelojam (via Bleddyn) to consider updating the connector!  :D

Thanks for the feedback guys, again understand fully that USB-C is the way forward but for his first board the designer wanted to try make this as simple as possible so USB Mini-B was used. All feedback is being taken on board though as thats what an IC is for so thank you.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 07:25:41 »
 :thumb:

I'd love to have the num row also separated like an F-row, as the 1800 mini does it. I find this to be the most charming part of the 1800mini

Offline Retrias

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 10:04:41 »
I remember there was another board with the same sort of layout on taobao that already sold out, had bluetooth as well

if you can get bluetooth in , count me interested

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 10:32:58 »
I remember there was another board with the same sort of layout on taobao that already sold out, had bluetooth as well

if you can get bluetooth in , count me interested
The idea was to keep the cost as low as possible so bluetooth was out from the start due to the added cost of modules and batteries needed. Will be noted for future projects though, thank you for the feedback.
:thumb:

I'd love to have the num row also separated like an F-row, as the 1800 mini does it. I find this to be the most charming part of the 1800mini

The inspiration for this board was the 1800mini which was run on taobao which is evident in the style of the board, but no one likes a clone and we wanted to shrink even that small board a tiny bit more if we could so we did.

Offline travwal

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 12:24:11 »
I really like this! I was hoping the 1800mini would run in the US but I haven't heard anything on it though.
I like the full aluminum build over the 1800mini too, but I think my only complaint is the blockers.
For one, I'm not sure how good it will look on a board this small, but two, I feels like it reduces the functionality of such tiny board.
I think it would be nice to at least have the option.
Overall I love the idea of this though!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 15:35:59 »
Tell the man /u/parallelojam to step up and use gh 🤨

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Justin_aka_OsP_SSJ4

• Chellow... it's me...
    • My Twitch
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 16:17:13 »
oof. That is a nice looking board! Compact yet beastly.
DC60 w/ DZ60 PCB & Steel plate w/ 3mm neoprene foam - 68g Chellows Lubed w/ 3204 - Find me on twitch/twitter Osprey_SSJ4

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 20:41:22 »

But then i dont get to talk to you lovely guys.

Offline pnkpanther65

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 08:16:12 »
This is essentially everything I've been looking for in a work board to replace the 75 I've using. Wkl is a plus for me as well, no USB c is a bit of a bummer but honestly not a deal breaker. Little worried about going in on someone's first GB, but I'm probably in regardless

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 08:24:24 »
This is essentially everything I've been looking for in a work board to replace the 75 I've using. Wkl is a plus for me as well, no USB c is a bit of a bummer but honestly not a deal breaker. Little worried about going in on someone's first GB, but I'm probably in regardless

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

As mentioned USB-C is being seriously considered following feedback, its my personal preference as well and seeing as most of the comments we have received have mentioned it being a nice addition we are thinking about making that change. Thank you for the feedback and as for going in on someones first GB, we all start somewhere. :))

Offline maximize

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 11:45:38 »
What is this abomination

I love it

Offline sntXrrr

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 12:00:57 »
I absolutely love the creativity of this layout. It also makes it a no-go for me, that whole 40% stuff is just not my jam. Best of luck though, I would love to see a build stream with this board so I can admire it from afar :)

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 12:12:55 »

But then i dont get to talk to you lovely guys.

OK, fair enough 🤔😛

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 20:29:18 »
I absolutely love the creativity of this layout. It also makes it a no-go for me, that whole 40% stuff is just not my jam. Best of luck though, I would love to see a build stream with this board so I can admire it from afar :)

Will definitely keep that in mind when we get the prototype. We do have something planned regarding build and sound tests etc.

Offline supernova

• discord channel
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 22:33:19 »
USB-C
USB-C
USB-C
USB-C

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 04:47:20 »
USB-C
USB-C
USB-C
USB-C

I'm with you on this one, USB-C is up for discussion for final design run it just needs to be worked out in terms of PCB as the one we have for proto is mini usb-b and the cutout would need to be adjusted as well. But its being looked at, thanks for the feedback.

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 05:40:53 »

I don't really understand this point. I don't think the board is a 40%. P sure it's a 60% with 1800 arrows and numpad.

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 06:17:58 »

I don't really understand this point. I don't think the board is a 40%. P sure it's a 60% with 1800 arrows and numpad.

So the Alpha section of the board is 40% based which is where he gets that point from, the full size of the board is actually .25 larger than a standard 65% like the tada68. So it is actually a little smaller than a 60% with arrows and a numpad.

Offline sanryu

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 10:45:15 »
why WKL???
that is mini of mini..

Offline maximize

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:29:20 »
How do we pronounce the name? Is it "Raine emm three"? "Raine cubic meter"?
Also, where do people typically map <, and >. on 40% boards?

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 18:25:45 »
How do we pronounce the name? Is it "Raine emm three"? "Raine cubic meter"?
Also, where do people typically map <, and >. on 40% boards?
The name is Raine M3 like BMW M3 but stylized as M-cubed. the M3 comes from the MKUK Discord server where it was first thrown around as an idea by members of the community, myself included. It stands for MKUK Mini Meme.
why WKL???
that is mini of mini..
3 reasons
  • It looks nice
  • He likes WKL
  • He can

Offline maximize

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 11:33:08 »
Thanks for the response on the name! Is this parallelojam's first GB?

Offline elguey

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 12:57:45 »
WKL + 1800 layout without a f-row is so aesthetically pleasing. I am going to echo the need for usb-c but not really a deal breaker for me.

Offline Bleddyn

Re: [IC] The Raine-m³ [UPDATE]: Renders from Janglad
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 20:45:44 »
We got some renders from the lovely Janglad through today.

Offline Bruek

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 22:25:28 »
looks rad!
cronch

Offline trabbit

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 22:28:06 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Darn, they are renders I am never able to make.

Offline elguey

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 15:48:44 »
I need this! Those renders are glorious.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 16:02:04 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Darn, they are renders I am never able to make.

THE renders looks really good too

Offline Undrcontrl

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 13:43:50 »
Definitely an interesting layout and board, something I might be up for trying. Unlike most, I am not overly attached to USB-C, yet.
Also, unlike most it seems, I tend to NEED the WK, which is the only thing that really puts me on the fence. As a Sys Admin/Net Admin I use the WK DOZENS of times a day for commands and not having it, or having to move it to somewhere else that is not normal, really kills me.