Author Topic: More than one main driver?  (Read 5325 times)

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
More than one main driver?
« on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 20:02:27 »
I browse a lot of forums, mainly battlestation threads on reddit & 4chan/g/ and I've started to see a recurring theme of people using more than one daily driver, for example:

I saw some guy who had a IBM Model M pushed up on his desk and he was using a Corsair K90 or whatever they're called. I can only suspect that one is for gaming and one is for typing/general use.

Is this becoming more common and do you do this?
你搞砸了

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: More than one main driver?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 20:38:44 »
I have two keyboards on my desk, but connected to two different computers.  I physically swap may keyboards when I want to, and keep the spares on a shelf.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 00:46:44 »
I have 2 keyboards on my work desk, connected to 2 PCs, but I only use the second one (Dell rubber dome) when I reboot it and need to make changes in BIOS or boot options, otherwise I use remote desktop and my primary board.

I have 3 "main driver" boards at the moment that I cycle through. At home I use my custom ergo board and sometimes my KBT Pure. At work I use the KBT Pure and my new GON NerD60 with Vortex case. I just take the one board into the office depending on my mood :)

Nothing wrong with having a multitude of boards on your desk and swapping them out depending on what you feel like typing / gaming on at that moment, though.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 01:15:23 »
My desk doesn't have enough space to keep multiple boards on it, but I regularly rotate between 4 different boards. I keep the extras propped against the boxes of keycaps in the room.  :)

To be clear, I don't swap multiple times in a day. I just rotate by the week or so.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 01:26:55 »
Our main desk at home has been swapping in the past few months between a Model M, a black space invader board (Erase Ease!), a clicky SMK board, and a blue Alps board. Really need to get my custom keyboards to the point I’m happy with them so I can stop using terrible standard layouts though.

I was using an Ergodox for a couple months, but ultimately couldn’t deal with the design of the thumb section.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 February 2015, 01:28:36 by jacobolus »

Offline mougrim

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 02:20:57 »
RIght now I'm regularily swapping between my AT F and AEKII.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 02:23:08 »
Still using my GH60 at work but once my Nerd60 arrives I'll probably swap between them once a week when I feel like changing caps. Now I need to get started on my third 60% board!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 02:37:43 »
I use my FaceW 60% 95% of the time, but I got my QFR on the desk always plugged into the computer.
I need F keys for one game so I need the QFR around.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 02:49:25 »
I use my FaceW 60% 95% of the time, but I got my QFR on the desk always plugged into the computer.

That's the main reason I still haven't sold my Filco! Stupid F-keys. One day we'll get a 60% + f-keys - Margo had an IC going with GON doing the hardware but it seems to have fallen over :(

Once I have my Nerd60 I'll probably do up some custom layers just for gaming, I'd do it with my GH60 but programming that thing is a *****. Haven't bothered changing my layout once since I got it up and running.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 02:59:12 »
tl;dr: Yes I do this. One for gaming, one for typing/general use.

My daily driver has been my MJ2 with blues for a little over a year now. Sometimes I switch it up to one of my model M's. The one constant so far is that I use my PokerII with reds for gaming.

I love the tactile click for typing. It really is the best way to go for myself. Most times mx blues satisfy that but I have to jump to an M at least for a bit here and there.

If I were to take a picture of my setup, you would see that both my PokerII and MJ2 are present.

I have plenty of other switch options to explore so I only see myself acquiring a much larger desk and shelving system to aid in the rotations.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 03:20:18 »

That's the main reason I still haven't sold my Filco! Stupid F-keys. One day we'll get a 60% + f-keys - Margo had an IC going with GON doing the hardware but it seems to have fallen over :(

Once I have my Nerd60 I'll probably do up some custom layers just for gaming, I'd do it with my GH60 but programming that thing is a *****. Haven't bothered changing my layout once since I got it up and running.
yeah I really hope this IC get going at some point, I believe 60% +F-row would be my perfect form factor.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 10:33:31 »
Like most other people, I frequently switch between a board with clicky or tactile for regular and typing use, and a linear board for gaming.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 10:37:15 »
If I had room on my desk, I'd switch between a Model M for typing and my Ducky YOTD for gaming.

But I don't, so the Model M is at work instead. I'll suffer with MX Blues at home so I can have my 6KRO for gaming...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:00:46 »
I type papers, and reports, and I do not game. I have two main boards now: A Poker X, and a Leopold FC660M, the first mainly at work, and the second at home. I will replace the Leo as soon as I get my upcoming Infinity board with clears. The Poker has reds, and the Leo has browns.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:03:24 »
I type papers, and reports, and I do not game. I have two main boards now: A Poker X, and a Leopold FC660M, the first mainly at work, and the second at home. I will replace the Leo as soon as I get my upcoming Infinity board with clears. The Poker has reds, and the Leo has browns.
You type all day on reds?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:04:18 »
On my desk at home, I currently have four keyboards. A Filco TKL, a KUL ES-87, a Poker II, and a HHKB. I swap those out for other boards as I feel the urge. I just use whichever one I feel like using at the time. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:06:30 »
I have a blue and green board I use at the house. I only swap them every month or so. When not in use its on a shelving unit near my desk. I have two machines and use a USB switcher to share the keyboard.

The mx white board I keep at work, loud keyboards tend to annoy people.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:12:06 »
I try and have a few keyboards to choose from even if I don't swap out that often. I've noticed lately my hands getting fatigued and sore with my old daily driver so I changed things up for a bit.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:16:58 »
I use my realforce for web browsing, keycool for gaming, and m13 for typing long papers

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 12:27:18 »
I see, so it seems that the major majority of people seem to switch out their keyboards on a somewhat frequent basis? I've been getting the urge to do t his rather frequently as of late, I've stood my ground though and just stuck with the Noppoo Choc Mini.

Why do you guys switch out a lot, is it just because you can, is it because you're board of X keyboard or are there other reasons?
你搞砸了

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 12:30:20 »
Why do you guys switch out a lot? is it just because you can, is it because you're board of X keyboard or are there other reasons?

is it just because you can, is it because you're bored of X keyboard

For me? This is the main reason. I do switch if I'm on a Skype/Hangouts call and my current board is too loud. Or I've swapped boards at work because it's too loud. At work I typically stick to a full size so I only keep one there. At home I rotate as I please, depending on the mood.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 15:56:58 »
I switch between my 3 boards when I feel like swapping. It's usually because I get bored of a particular switch fairly quickly.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 16:03:39 »
I mostly rotate between a Poker X (MX-Blacks) and an HHKB Pro 2 Type-S. I use the latter when I'm on the phone and need a quieter keyboard. However, I do have a Poker X (MX-Red) that I sometimes use if I've been typing a lot and need a lighter touch.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 17:05:06 »
I switch between boards depending on what I'm doing, or just whenever I get the urge.. alot of times I swap depending on how much desk space I need. If I'm working on something on my desk that needs alot of space, for example, I usually use my JD40 as it's easily moved out of the way where I can still type on it.

I usually like to game with my JD40, Model M for general typing, and a TKL or 60% for all around use. I do everything with all of my boards though.

So far my favourite board is the JD40, and it's been my daily driver lately.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 17:49:38 »
I have 4 keyboards to use, I rotate the one at work on 2-3 weeks basis but at home I love my KMAC and KPAD combo too much :(
And as far as switch concern, I only love clicky

So I've been having trouble rotating myself
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 02:36:21 »
Right now i have 2 main keyboards one for gaming(mx-blacks) and light typing, the other topre for everything else and light gaming.
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 03:13:10 »

yeah I really hope this IC get going at some point, I believe 60% +F-row would be my perfect form factor.

Noppoo Nano 75...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Noppoo-new-60-size-compact-noppoo-mini-mechanical-keyboard-cherry-mx-red-switches-gaming-keyboard-PBT/818123_2047420314.html
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 03:16:19 »

Noppoo Nano 75...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Noppoo-new-60-size-compact-noppoo-mini-mechanical-keyboard-cherry-mx-red-switches-gaming-keyboard-PBT/818123_2047420314.html

Iso 4 lyfe
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 03:42:10 »
I see, so it seems that the major majority of people seem to switch out their keyboards on a somewhat frequent basis? I've been getting the urge to do t his rather frequently as of late, I've stood my ground though and just stuck with the Noppoo Choc Mini.

Why do you guys switch out a lot, is it just because you can, is it because you're board of X keyboard or are there other reasons?

My work keyboard is my QFS with MX greens and Nuclear Data Green SA keycaps.  I don't see that changing any time soon (unless by some miracle I can find an SSK).

My home keyboard I change around a lot, partly for the different switches (BS, blacks, blues, reds, 45g Topre), partly for a different look (full size, TKL, 60%), partly to free up desk space if I need to (HHKB for that), and partly to justify having a collection of spare keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:20:05 »
6 months.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:28:04 »
My desk doesn't have enough space to keep multiple boards on it, but I regularly rotate between 4 different boards. I keep the extras propped against the boxes of keycaps in the room.  :)

To be clear, I don't swap multiple times in a day. I just rotate by the week or so.
We need an update. Do you even own keyboards anymore?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 12:34:31 »

We need an update. Do you even own keyboards anymore?

Just now catching up on old threads.   ;D

I do in fact still own keyboards.  :eek:  Just not nearly as many as I used to (I've "refined" the collection).  The current rotation is RF10AE, IBM Model M, LZ-GH, HHKB Pro 1, and Kishsaver, depending on needs (numpad) or how I feel that day.  The Realforce wins my attention roughly 95% of the time. 

Oh, and the boxes of keycaps are now stored in the closet (who knew you could organize things?), along with the boards.  The room is so much tidier than 4 years ago.  :P

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 06:37:41 »
No, one driver. Sintpinty cannot afford another keyboard

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 07:55:19 »

The room is so much tidier than 4 years ago.

You got married, didn't you?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 08:11:43 »

Bingo :))  Amazing the effect that has, isn’t it? ;D

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 11:38:28 »
HHKB is perfect for everything

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 06 July 2019, 00:35:00 »

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 06 July 2019, 09:23:20 »

Bingo :))  Amazing the effect that has, isn’t it? ;D
Putting things out of sight reduces the questions like “what do you have all this stuff for?”, “when do you think you will use it?“ and ultimately “why don’t you get rid of it if you’re not going to use it?”
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB