Author Topic: What do you think of the newly announced KeyMouse?  (Read 15479 times)

Offline macroxue

• Darknight: DIY 60% Split Keyboard
What do you think of the newly announced KeyMouse?
« on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 17:02:47 »
I just noticed it in the pinned "Ergo Product announcements" thread. It's certainly a very interesting design but I have some doubts.

I can't imagine myself moving a mouse of *that* size. For the mouse to work, it needs to glide smoothly, which means it may just move when you are typing.  The trackball version seems better for stability.

The F-keys are tiny. Probably better just to have them programmed into a layer of normal-sized keys.

Does the big hump in the middle get in the way when you're reaching to the keys at the outer edges? Given that the thumb keys are quite low, do you have to roll your wrists frequently?

« Last Edit: Sat, 31 August 2019, 17:11:02 by macroxue »
[Darknight: DIY 60% Split Keyboard](https://github.com/macroxue/keyboard-diy)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: What do you think of the newly announced KeyMouse?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 19:45:57 »
I just noticed it in the pinned "Ergo Product announcements" thread. It's certainly a very interesting design but I have some doubts.

I can't imagine myself moving a mouse of *that* size. For the mouse to work, it needs to glide smoothly, which means it may just move when you are typing.  The trackball version seems better for stability.

The F-keys are tiny. Probably better just to have them programmed into a layer of normal-sized keys.

Does the big hump in the middle get in the way when you're reaching to the keys at the outer edges? Given that the thumb keys are quite low, do you have to roll your wrists frequently?

Show Image

The frick is that big hump

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 19:48:02 »
It's a really cool idea,but isn't $400+ cool.

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 20:19:57 »
Think linus did a review of them a bit ago. I like the 5x7 staggered ortho (as my current daily is a keeb.io viterbi (split 5x7 ortho), i like the thumb clusters (4 is the magic number), I'd only use one trackball, 3D print as a final product... eehhh... ? especially because of the built in wrist rest. ....Think they were quite expensive as well. I'd have to try it before i would buy it or a no questions asked return policy.

I'm actually hoping to find a version of a dactyl/manuform that's 5x7s or 4x7s (most are only 6 columns or less). I'd really like to try the thumb cluster thing but don't want to sacrifice columns to get them.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline RSanders

• DataHand Pro II > Maltron > Kinesis > Flat Boards
    • LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 10:00:19 »
Thought it was a DataHand clone at first glance due to the similarity in the company logo. Took a closer look. Then thought it was a cross between a DataHand and a Maltron/Kinesis. At this point, without actually trying one, I would call it a Maltron/Kinesis design geared towards typing with your palms, not wrists, supported, similarly to how a DataHand is intended to be used, i.e. entire weight of hand is supported by the palms while just the fingers perform very minute movements. I would be a bit concerned about forearm support when used away from a workstation equipped with supports such as Ergo-Rest or a chair with arms at the correct height in relation to the desk.  Ergomic considerations tend to get thrown out the window when going portable, unfortunately. Additionally, since these are keys in a vertically linear arrangement (Maltron/Kinesis), significantly more movement will be needed than with the key wells of a DataHand.  Depending on how well the unit is matched to the user in terms of sizing, moving the hands off of the palm supports and repositioning may be necessary for top row keys, whereas no real movement of the palms off of the palm supports is needed with a correctly configured DataHand. Also, I suspect the palm support is hard plastic and not soft, as is the case with the DataHand.  I may try one out just out of curiosity but on close examination, it looks like I would still rather type on my DataHand Pro II or on the Maltron/Kinesis owing to the overall geometry of the placement of keys.  It is intriguing in terms of portability and not needing wires once charged. Might be good for short duration portable work when away from my desk and on a laptop as opposed to a desktop PC with a dedicated chair-mounted DataHand or desk-mounted Maltron/Kinesis with Ergo-Rests for arm support.  The price is average to low when compared to Kinesis/Maltron and, when they were commercially avaialble, the DataHand. Try to think of it in terms of RSI surgery costs/lost wages vs cost of keyboard intended to help prevent RSI Surgery costs/lost wages.  Then it really becomes inexpensive, assuming it does what is advertised in terms of ergonomics.  My gut reaction is that this product would be preferable over a regular flat keyboard, but it is certainly debatable if it can compete ergonomically with a Maltron/Kinesis. I will hold off any real judgement until after I try one. Without trying it I think it is safe to assume it would not be competitive ergonomically speaking with the DataHand, but hands down (no pun intended) beats it and the Maltron/Kinesis in terms of portability, particularly for short-term  use, which is what would interest me, especially since the built in trackballs would take the place of having to cart along a Mouse-Trak Evolution by ITAC. I would not consider the mouse version of the KeyMouse unless Ergo-Rest or similar were available for forearm support while "mousing." Of note, the mouse version might be very convenient for users that do a lot of switching between keyboard and pointing device. For users that don't, like me, the trackball might make more sense. The above is just my opinion and can be taken with a grain of salt as everyone is structurally different and this product might just be perfect for some users.

Offline vvp

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 04:16:38 »
i like the thumb clusters (4 is the magic number)
I agree that 4 is the convenient number for a thumb cluster but they should be organized the way Oobly did it. Otherwise I'm a fan of more thumb keys.

This product has the thumb keys too far away from the keywell. There is a compromise to reach both trackball and the thumb keys. The result is that both of them are not placed optimally. They screwed up the layout to add a track ball there.

The bottom kewell row is not angled enough. Miserable pinkie column stagger.

The palm support is curved. I actually like more a flat palm support where only the bottom part of my palm is supported. Having most of my palm touching something looks like an invitation for a wrong kind of a sweaty experience :-)

I would try it If would have a chance to do it for free. But I'm almost sure I would continue to use my K84CS keyboard.

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 10:18:53 »
I wish I could create a track ball version based on dactyl manuform

Offline Myteethfeelweird

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 22:51:49 »
Personally, I'm not a huge fan. The buttons are placed in very peculiar spots. And I'd find that the layers are quite awfully arranged:/