Author Topic: [IC] Xwhatsit F controllers  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
[IC] Xwhatsit F controllers
« on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:43:00 »
I am planning on doing a small group buy for xwhatsit F controllers.  I will be ordering all parts myself including PCBs from OshPark.

Going off run sizes from previous orders, if we get 25 pcbs made that puts us into the medium run pricing which makes the boards much cheaper.

I will also offer soldering service for these but fair warning I have not done SMD before but I would be practicing on my own piece before going after anyone elses.  You have been warned.

Would anyone else be interested in one or more?

Going to add a list of people that are expressing explicit interest just for my own reasons

Exitfire
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:52:32 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [IC] Xwhatsit F controllers
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:44:05 »
What sort of pricing are you looking at per board at MOQ 25?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:46:26 »
Does OshPark offer pick-and-place soldering services for the SMD components?  That might be worth looking into.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:47:40 »
What sort of pricing are you looking at?

I honestly don't know yet.  I am currently making a list of the components that would need to be sourced and getting prices for those. 

Xwhatsit's price was US$50 for fully assembled and tested, but that was also with a long lead time due to him being located in New Zealand.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:51:17 »
Does OshPark offer pick-and-place soldering services for the SMD components?  That might be worth looking into.

To my knowledge no.  They were selling teensy 3.0's when I was talking with them about my enabler order.  I asked them about it and they said they just make the PCB's, PRJC assembles them and then OshPark was selling the teensies.  So going from that I doubt it.

If someone would be kind enough to look at the parts list in the OP here and let me know if there is anything here particularly difficult, that would be great.

Pricing at 24 boards per PCB should be $5 per square inch but when we get to medium run at 25 the price drops to $1 per square inch, but a slightly longer lead time I believe.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:51:22 »
I may be interested. have a Model F off craigslist I'm debating restoring
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:54:47 »
So we are talking about these right?

www.ebay.com/itm/Just-3-left-Discounted-xwhatsit-IBM-Model-F-keyboard-converters-bulk-made-/221664897684?

99% sure that is the correct one.

One thing of note, this is NOT compatible with the XT due to having the onboard controller.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 14:06:50 »
Oh, it's only the controller (still nice). For a moment I was hoping for a full PCB (with controller included) to fit an existing case (let's say XT) but with a ssk layout or the likes.

Good luck with this still, the more model F lovers the better!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 18:43:30 »
I am interested in the PCBs and the parts. I want to do the soldering myself (both to reduce cost and because I like it). Depending on how much they will be, I'd want anywhere from 1 to 4 or 5.

I highly doubt it, but if the price could get to $15 or less per, I'd probably be in for 5. If it could get to $10, I'd do my best to buy 10.

I'd still be interested in the controller at a higher price, but I'd only be in for 1 or 2.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 19:12:56 »
Ellipse was selling these for like $30+shipping (IIRC) over at Deskthority. He might still have some left:
http://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/around-50-xwhatsit-model-f-usb-controllers-30-each-shipping-t9093.html

(Maybe those ebay auctions are also his? I didn’t look.)