Author Topic: [IC] Gateron Switches  (Read 102711 times)

Offline base_on_base

• Resident Hydroxide
Re: [IC] Gateron Switches
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 20:53:00 »
Is there going to be a minimum order quantity?

WASD V2 - MX Green / Aqua - MX Green(WIP) / Unicomp Ultra Classic - Buckling Springs

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 20:57:48 »
If I send you $100 will you please stop selling illegitimate products on this forum?

Thanks

Cheers

Regards

Bill

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 20:58:43 »
Yes my friends you must see the whole situation

Getaron switches are clearly Cherry fakes. They don't have Gold Crosspoint Technology (TM) which clearly means they are not authentic Cherry.

As a world-tier Cherry connesuir, I cannot endorse the sale of these switches.

We must work together as a community to end Gatorade tyranny

But you see Bill, it does have Gold Crosspoint Technology (TM)! ;)

"Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 20:58:58 »
If I send you $100 will you please stop selling illegitimate products on this forum?

Thanks

Cheers

Regards

Bill
Show him the light. Send him some cherry boards.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:02:08 »
Getaron switches are clearly Cherry fakes [...] they are not authentic Cherry.
Except no one thinks they are Cherry MX switches... they’re clearly labeled “Gateron”, are made with different materials (different plastics, different metal leaves as you mentioned), and have different slider shape and slightly different housing shape.

As a world-tier Cherry connesuir, I cannot endorse the sale of these switches. We must work together as a community to end Gatorade tyranny
Is this a joke? Why should the rest of us care what you endorse?
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:04:14 by jacobolus »

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:02:44 »

hmm mr zelio sir it seems you have misunderstand

Gatorate switch (as seen on the right) clearly does not have as much girth as official Cherry Crosspoint Technology (TM)

This lack of girth (common in Asia region) means that Geterone switch simply cannot handle intensive use of 50 million clicks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:04:22 by billnye »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:03:37 »
Getaron switches are clearly Cherry fakes [...] they are not authentic Cherry.
Except no one thinks they are Cherry MX switches... they’re clearly labeled “Gateron”, are made with different materials (different plastics, different contacts as you mentioned), and have different slider shape and slightly different housing shape.

As a world-tier Cherry connesuir, I cannot endorse the sale of these switches. We must work together as a community to end Gatorade tyranny
Is this a joke? Why should the rest of us care what you endorse?

I wish the communist reign of Gatorade was a joke.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:05:27 »
This lack of girth (common in Asia region) means that Geterone switch simply cannot handle intensive use of 50 million clicks.
Can you put the dumb jokes in a new thread in the off topic section? They don’t make much sense, and don’t belong here.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:12:51 »
65 blacks, come on hwood!
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:15:10 »
he is from Virginia :rolleyes:

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:17:25 »
he is from Virginia :rolleyes:

one of the most "girthiest" states in the Continental US
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:18:09 »

Gatorate switch (as seen on the right) clearly does not have as much girth as official Cherry Crosspoint Technology (TM)

Show Image

What machinery have you used to test said girth durability?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:22:18 »

Show Image

Yeah, were these lubricated or not? I get the feeling that would be crucial to properly test the rigors or repetitive use.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:25:16 by drhubblephd »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:26:32 »

Show Image

Yeah, were these lubricated or not? I get the feeling that would be crucial to properly test the rigors or repetitive use.
Didn't hwood get a free sample of astroglide? Maybe he can compare.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:28:17 »

Show Image

Well mr wood,

As you can see from your own image

The circled hole is clearly entrance point of girth. Through repeated insertions of Goetren, I have hypothesized that a smaller amout of girth will not last as long as Cherry Crosspoint Technology (TM)
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:33:39 by billnye »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:31:44 »

Show Image

Well mr wood,

Show Image

The circled hole is clearly entrance point of girth. Through repeated insertions of Goetren, I have hypothesized that a smaller amout of girth will not last as long as Cherry Crosspoint Technology (TM)
Well first I must ask what formula are you using to calculate girth? And are you taking into account factors like wind resistance and chill level?

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:39:46 »

Show Image

Well mr wood,

Show Image

Well first I must ask what formula are you using to calculate girth? And are you taking into account factors like wind resistance and chill level?

I'll let you know I am top of my high school physics class and have a scholarship to NASA
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:41:30 by billnye »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:50:42 »
I put down an interest for 75 blues.  I think I might end up building a SD-60 with them to try them out, just in case I like them enough to push aside my current hoard of Matias switches.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:52:19 »

Show Image

Well mr wood,

Show Image

I'll let you know I am top of my high school physics class and have a scholarship to NASA
Show Image

10/10 would calculate

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 22:45:38 »

Thanks

Cheers

Regards

Bill

Send the money to me. I'll stop this bullsheet.

Clearly Razer has already optimized the Cherry switch. Why imitate the Cherry switch when you can improve it?

Can we get an interest check for some of these?

Look at how they glow. Higher actuation point for more efficient and faster response. Evolution of Cherry switches. You don't even need to bottom out, if you don't want to. Less press means less energy spent and less time spent. A true gaming and typing revolution.

If you don't like the click, they have a Stealth version too in rad Orange/Brown.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 07:04:19 »
Wait that was all a joke right, because if not I'm confused I just want them for clear casings, and possibly the low weight  :x (And because I love black stems because they fit with everything :x )

Vesper I need those Rad Awesome Orange Stems (I actually would love them they look cool) :p FYI the green stems look like they are made out of those apple flavored stick sweets with the white fluffy bit running down the middle...I'm not hungry :x
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 07:39:06 »

Show Image

Is this a joke or a real IC?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 07:40:02 »

Show Image

Is this a joke or a real IC?
Yeah it's real there was just a little trolling.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 07:40:19 »
Wait that was all a joke right, because if not I'm confused I just want them for clear casings, and possibly the low weight  :x (And because I love black stems because they fit with everything :x )

Vesper I need those Rad Awesome Orange Stems (I actually would love them they look cool) FYI the green stems look like they are made out of those apple flavored stick sweets with the white fluffy bit running down the middle...I'm not hungry :x
Yeah all of it

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 08:15:25 »
in for 100 browns...

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 13:21:49 »

Vesper I need those Rad Awesome Orange Stems (I actually would love them they look cool) :p FYI the green stems look like they are made out of those apple flavored stick sweets with the white fluffy bit running down the middle...I'm not hungry :x

I'm pretty interested in these Gaterons too because I'm hearing they're smoooooth, but I don't have a keyboard to throw them in right now :(

Also, I actually tried out both Razer switches... they were actually not bad. The orange one was pretty much browns but higher tactile bump, but the stock caps made them feel like sheet. They're pretty, but nothing to hype about :P Also, paying $160 for a Razer board is crazy.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 13:55:33 »

I'm pretty interested in these Gaterons too because I'm hearing they're smoooooth, but I don't have a keyboard to throw them in right now :(

Also, I actually tried out both Razer switches... they were actually not bad. The orange one was pretty much browns but higher tactile bump, but the stock caps made them feel like sheet. They're pretty, but nothing to hype about :P Also, paying $160 for a Razer board is crazy.

Aww thats no fun, but you might as well get them encase you know :)
I was just saying I wouldn't mind having just the stems because they are nice colours :p
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:20:08 »
+1

Interest form filled out to the max, yo
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:27:07 »
Aww thats no fun, but you might as well get them encase you know :)
I was just saying I wouldn't mind having just the stems because they are nice colours :p

It's true~ They're both pretty colors :'(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:34:50 »
I just recalled the first time someone at GH wrote about these SW clones when a vendor began selling them and many GH members crucified him, now even a GB is getting started with the blessing of some of the elders around, it is amazing, and confusing.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:55:20 »
I just recalled the first time someone at GH wrote about these SW clones when a vendor began selling them and many GH members crucified him, now even a GB is getting started with the blessing of some of the elders around, it is amazing, and confusing.

Different situation though. Those switches were not explicitly mentioned as Kailh / desoldered Cherry switches. This IC explicitly states they're Gateron Switches, and a few of us have reviewed them and found the linears to be surprisingly smooth. 
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 16:41:40 »
I just recalled the first time someone at GH wrote about these SW clones when a vendor began selling them and many GH members crucified him,
Have a link? Some geekhackers are very reactionary and tribal and love to dog-pile people. Not too surprising that someone selling MX clones could trigger an unreasonable response. What’s “SW”?

Edit: nevermind. Apparently was when a vendor started selling “red” and “brown” keyswitches that looked very similar to MX, without explicitly pointing out that they were knockoffs. Seller got crucified because people rightly thought it was shady. [I wasn’t paying attention to this topic, so I have no comment on whether the reaction was proportionate.]
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 17:26:12 by jacobolus »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 16:44:27 »
I just recalled the first time someone at GH wrote about these SW clones when a vendor began selling them and many GH members crucified him,
Have a link? Some geekhackers are very reactionary and tribal and love to dog-pile people. Not too surprising that someone selling MX clones could trigger an unreasonable response. What�s �SW�?

We all know the vendor, and I do not have the intention to get that fire up again. What called my attention is how good at it the community is now.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 17:27:05 »
What called my attention is how good at it the community is now.
How good at what the community is now? Accepting gateron/gaote/kaihua switches?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 17:56:30 »
Oh, and when you fill out the form, there's no need to put in a "0" if you don't want any, you can just leave it blank

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:25:18 »
I think that cost is the hot button at backside of this question...most people, myself included, have a problem with an alledged knockoff that is the same cost, not lower, as the original, am I wrong?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:42:38 »
I think that cost is the hot button at backside of this question...most people, myself included, have a problem with an alledged knockoff that is the same cost, not lower, as the original, am I wrong?

I do not have anything against clones, their availability will make the prices of switches to get down, eventually. The patent is already lapsed so any company with the proper resources can make some MX'es. Different alternatives and sources are good for keyboard enthusiasts so I do not see any harm in that side in my humble opinion.

What seems to be like a double politics is now "us" cheering up for a switch clone GB while some of the same members criticized a vendor who offered some other clones just a few months ago. In the other hand is a good thing that GH is now more open to these new alternatives in the keyboard switch market.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:49:24 »

I do not have anything against clones, their availability will make the prices of switches to get down, eventually. The patent is already lapsed so any company with the proper resources can make some MX'es. Different alternatives and sources are good for keyboard enthusiasts so I do not see any harm in that side in my humble opinion.

What seems to be like a double politics is now "us" cheering up for a switch clone GB while some of the same members criticized a vendor who offered some other clones just a few months ago. In the other hand is a good thing that GH is now more open to these new alternatives in the keyboard switch market.
Hear, hear

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:51:17 »

Apparently was when a vendor started selling “red” and “brown” keyswitches that looked very similar to MX, without explicitly pointing out that they were knockoffs. Seller got crucified because people rightly thought it was shady.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:05:00 »
We are good pharisees, more devoted than the pope, and armed with stones to hit any sinner at sight, not able to see the log in our own eye  :'(

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:16:11 »
We are good pharisees, more devoted than the pope, and armed with stones to hit any sinner at sight, not able to see the log in our own eye  :'(

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:23:06 »
If we can get a bulk order price then I'm in for 90 gateron clears. :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 23:22:25 »
If we can get a bulk order price then I'm in for 90 gateron clears. :)
right now, once we hit 10k of a switch, it becomes 0.99 yuan/switch.

Offline rand77

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 23:59:40 »
I would be in for 200 clears.  I would really enjoy a soft linear switch which is smoother than Cherry.

Offline jabbon

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 00:41:15 »
I would be in for 200 clears.  I would really enjoy a soft linear switch which is smoother than Cherry.

+1

Would want, if the price shipped to europe is right, 200 clears

Offline 2TallTim

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 08:13:04 »
Especially interested in the clears now that it seems they are out of stock on Cart100! I'm in for 50 of 'em!

Offline hking0036

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 08:32:26 »
pm sent to you my sir!
PM'd replied

Getaron switches are clearly Cherry fakes. They don't have Gold Crosspoint Technology (TM) which clearly means they are not authentic Cherry.

What did you say to them wood? Completely flipped in 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 January 2015, 08:35:44 by hking0036 »
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 09:03:39 »
pm sent to you my sir!
PM'd replied

What did you say to them wood? Completely flipped in 30 minutes.

billnye is trolling, don't worry about that.

Apparently was when a vendor started selling �red� and �brown� keyswitches that looked very similar to MX, without explicitly pointing out that they were knockoffs. Seller got crucified because people rightly thought it was shady.

Yeah, the whole issue there was that they were marketed as Cherry MX.  And unless I'm mistaken and this is a completely unrelated situation, this thread should be relevant.  I don't recall seeing anyone up in arms about the existence of clones (it's perfectly acceptable, now that the patent has expired).  The issue was marketing (or potentially marketing) them as legitimate.

But again, it's possible that the situation in question is different from what I'm referring to.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 09:18:39 »
Yeah, the whole issue there was that they were marketed as Cherry MX.  And unless I'm mistaken and this is a completely unrelated situation, this thread should be relevant.

This thread is what you want https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56406.0

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 14:27:11 »
j
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 January 2015, 22:27:36 by ccc24 »