Author Topic: Build Quality for Price  (Read 10012 times)

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Build Quality for Price
« on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 18:59:19 »
What keyboards have the best build quality for price? I'm looking at Cherry switches myself, and although I lurk here constantly, I haven't yet made up my mind as to what I want to buy.
For me, a Leopold would cost $140,
A Poker $125,
A Choc Mini $120,
And a Das $115.
I'm just not sure what I want, I'd prefer it to be compact, so Das only wins if it's so far above the others (and I know it's not.)
How much flex does a Poker have, being the only PCB mounted board?
Also, what about other boards? What boards do you have where you've found shoddy build quality, or other stupid issues?

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 19:13:30 »
What STD (No, it stands for Shortcoming Taxing Distinction) does the Poker have?

Offline ethics-

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 19:15:48 »
I think the general consensus here is that Filcos are the benchmark for quality (in regards to keyboards that use Cherry switches anyway), while Leopold, Das, etc. are all good value for what you get.

Poker doesn't have flex when typing, but it does feel a lot more plasticky then a Filco.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 19:19:16 »
I live in Canada, so Filco is difficult to obtain, unless I want to ship from China or use a package forwarding service, which would drive the cost upwards of $200.
I think I win that one award Ripster gave to the person who had been on Geekhack longest without buying a mechanical.
I started Lurking in July of last year, and have yet to buy a mechanical. I'm still thinking about what to buy.

Offline Chobopants

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 19:30:54 »
A base BlackWidow (not ultimate) is actually a decent board. It's not my cup of tea but it's one of the cheapest ways to get some Cherries in your life and probably the most likely to be in stock around you.

If that doesn't work the Leopold is a decent option as well.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline sam113101

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 19:31:41 »
You could buy a filco on amazon, unless they don't sell to Canadians (I really don't know).
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline ethics-

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 19:47:22 »
Nah, they don't. Im sure you could find someone nice enough to buy it and send it to you.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 19:57:02 »
A Filco on Amazon is 140. Shipping to Canada would be about another $30. I'm sorry, but that's a ton of money. The only other choice is to go buy it off armygroup. What's the shipping nowaday form there? Still $20?

Also, Chobopants, I have a friend with a Blackwidow, which I do somewhat like, but I'm looking for brown switches. My friend's BW has really loose keycaps, they're horrible. I can push down on a key, and then wiggle it side to side. Also, I managed to completely strip his keyboard using only my fingers. Horrid.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2011, 20:04:39 by Arcanius »

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 20:10:02 »
Quote from: Arcanius;360855
A Filco on Amazon is 140. Shipping to Canada would be about another $30. I'm sorry, but that's a ton of money. The only other choice is to go buy it off armygroup. What's the shipping nowaday form there? Still $20?

Also, Chobopants, I have a friend with a Blackwidow, which I do somewhat like, but I'm looking for brown switches. My friend's BW has really loose keycaps, they're horrible. I can push down on a key, and then wiggle it side to side. Also, I managed to completely strip his keyboard using only my fingers. Horrid.

i can strip a girl by just looking at her

kind of like how joey from Friends could unhook bras by looking at it
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 20:13:58 »
Wait, PCHome had the $20 shipping. :S
Does anybody have a price that they paid for Armygroup shipping to North America?

Offline rsantos97

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 20:15:33 »
Quote from: Arcanius;360855

Also, Chobopants, I have a friend with a Blackwidow, which I do somewhat like, but I'm looking for brown switches. Also, most retailers carry BWs at $90, I think, so I'd rather fork out another 25 and get a Das. I'm just curious about other options. :)

Don't forget the PLU ML-87.  And just pick a keyboard you will enjoy anyone you get better than not having one.  As for paying the premium for the Filco, I would go with the cheaper option of the DAS, Ducky, PLU, or Choc.  Right now I am rocking my Choc over the Filco, haven't even touched the Ficlo since I got the Choc.  I am sure they will all do the same thing which is type.  And if you don't like the one you pick for any reason just sell it and get a different one.

Personally I am thinking of returning my Filco brown and just keeping the Filco Red when it gets here along with my Choc mini and probably getting a Poker or a PLU.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 20:18:59 »
That just brings me to $170 again. :(
It it really worth $30 over a Leopold?
What happened to PChome's Filcos?

Offline Tony

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 20:26:52 »

For quality over the price, an old, second hand Compaq MX 11800 is very good. I buy it in my city for 20 USD, and I use it exclusively before I can buy a Filco, then I only use the Compaq at home.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 20:29:28 »
Tony, I'm not that cheap! :D
I have a ton saved up, but I'm just apprehensive about spending.
I was thinking of getting a used 11800, or maybe an 8113, but decided I want something compact, black, with NKRO, and something I know is good quality and won't die on me. Used boards, especially off ebay, kind of worry me.
Filco distribution by amazon is a bit.... sucky. It totally cuts into their revenue from Canada!

Offline Chobopants

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 20:31:34 »
Quote from: Arcanius;360878
Tony, I'm not that cheap! :D
I was thinking of getting a used 11800, or maybe an 8113, but decided I want something compact, with NKRO, and something I know is good quality.
Filco distribution by amazon is a bit.... sucky. It totally cuts into their revenue from Canada!

It sounds like you're pretty picky. I am too. Honestly, I don't think you're going to be happy with less than a Leopold and may as well just spring for a Filco at this point. Save up some cash and make the investment. The difference between 70 and 140 dollars isn't that much when we're talking something that will hopefully last you 5+ years.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 20:38:40 »
Then I have to either ship from Armygroup or get somebody to help me ship it from the USA to Canada. My only fear is getting a dud, and having to somehow send it back.
I think too much, it seems. I take a VERY long time to make a decision. And then philosophize as to how good or bad the decision was.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 21:05:43 »
Quote from: rsantos97;360866
Don't forget the PLU ML-87.  And just pick a keyboard you will enjoy anyone you get better than not having one.  As for paying the premium for the Filco, I would go with the cheaper option of the DAS, Ducky, PLU, or Choc.  Right now I am rocking my Choc over the Filco, haven't even touched the Ficlo since I got the Choc.  I am sure they will all do the same thing which is type.  And if you don't like the one you pick for any reason just sell it and get a different one.

Just read your post. Thanks for the advice, I've looked at the PLU, but the lack of real NKRO and apparently shoddy build quality turned me off. Your post makes me consider just doing it the "easy" way and getting a Leopold, knowing I have a one-year warranty, and a good board that is still supreme to many others.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 21:17:08 »
one that should be on your list is the Rosewill RK9000. very nice build quality and it's $100. It's also sold on newegg.

I honestly like my rosewill more than my filco.

edit: I guess they don't sell them anymore on newegg. : (
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2011, 21:19:15 by Lethal Squirrel »

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 21:38:54 »
Not on sale anymore, and they have blues, I want browns for "silent" typing. (I don't bottom out on blues, even though I usually type on a Model M, and so I'm sure I could teach myself to not bottom out browns)

Offline manfaux

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 21:49:30 »
The Poker with mx red is about $75, I own choc mini, Filco, and have previously owned PLU ML-87 and two Duckys, and a Das,

I just got the Poker this week, and I think the Poker and the Choc Mini probably have the best build quality for the money, the Choc Mini has better key caps then the Poker, but the Poker has a better built case and REALLY nice stabilizers, best I've seen in the business.

but that's all without considering the shipping cost from People's Republic.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 22:24:08 »
lolwut? You said earlier that you hadn't bought a mechanical yet.

Then you say that you have a model m. Uh, that's a mechanical...
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 22:37:00 »
Yeah, but I didn't buy it. A friend of mine had it lying around, and gave me it for free. For that, I helped him with some trig equations. :D

Offline herfalerf

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 22:49:54 »
im curious as to where you are looking at the poker and choc mini that has them priced at over $100.  all the ebay auctions for new boards have them around $80 us.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 23:01:03 »
i heard you wanted some herf with your lerf
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline rsantos97

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 23:12:52 »
Quote from: herfalerf;360934
im curious as to where you are looking at the poker and choc mini that has them priced at over $100.  all the ebay auctions for new boards have them around $80 us.

The cheapest Poker listed is for $99.90 and that's without the $25 shipping charge. The cheapest Choc Mini is for $89.90 and again that is without the $25 shipping charge.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 23:14:56 »
you guys forgot to factor in manfaux's connection with the kbc triad
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 01:28:17 »
I got my poker from manfaux for $100.95, so still over $100

woody

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 04:19:36 »
Quote from: ripster;360863
Then there's Moogle.   500 posts praising Ducky over Filco before his Ducky arrived.

He doesn't say that much anymore.

What happened to fssbzz, btw? He praised some particular asian keyboard, then wrote buying howto, then ... disappeared.

Offline Lester

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 04:23:06 »
Why no ducky?

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 06:55:22 »
I wouldn't mind a Ducky, but the only tenkeyless is the 1087, and with case issues, I'm quite hesitant.
Buying a Noppoo or Poker would be cheaper off of taobao, but I'm still afraid of buying one, having it sent, and realizeing a swtich is chattering, or something is wrong with it.

Offline Lester

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 07:59:31 »
Quote from: Arcanius;361022
I wouldn't mind a Ducky, but the only tenkeyless is the 1087, and with case issues, I'm quite hesitant.
Buying a Noppoo or Poker would be cheaper off of taobao, but I'm still afraid of buying one, having it sent, and realizeing a swtich is chattering, or something is wrong with it.
Hmm, I'm kinda in the same boat with you atm.
I don't need something perfect but I don't want obvious flaws / issues.
The thing with Ducky 1087 is, in the beginning it had problems with a visible PCB / some cracking plastic, but I've heard (from a ducky-importer) that these problems have been resolved in the ducky 1087's made in the last few months.

The question I sended him:
"I have some concerns regarding the 1087, I heard some people have problem with some plastic breaking and the PCB being visible from the outside."

His response:
"Oh, that was in the first production run when they had some teething issues. They have resolved all of those since then and it is pretty much problem free nowadays :)"

So I assume the Ducky 1087 should be "problem-free" right now, and also I'm wondering when the 9008 Ducky will come in tenkeyless version.

Offline Lester

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 08:30:38 »
I'd go for engraved PBT Keys anyway over anything else, no matter what keyboard I buy I want engraved PBT keys on them :)
Just don't want a keyboard with visible pcb, stuff cracking off, awful glossy surfaces etc those 3 things are major no-go's to me.

Offline MissileMike

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 08:33:04 »
I have no build quality issues with my newer Ducky 1087- for 90$ shipped, it's a very good deal.

But for the last month, I have used nothing but my Leopold with blues.  It's very well-built, sturdy, and fun to type on. Too bad they're constantly out of stock at EK.
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline Lester

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 08:47:20 »
Quote from: MissileMike;361037
I have no build quality issues with my newer Ducky 1087- for 90$ shipped, it's a very good deal.

But for the last month, I have used nothing but my Leopold with blues.  It's very well-built, sturdy, and fun to type on. Too bad they're constantly out of stock at EK.
How would you say the quality of a Ducky 1087 is compared to your leopold?

Offline burnt_norton

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 10:27:14 »
I am in the same boat as Arcanius (with less time expended).  I have been lurking here for about a month and really want a mechanical keyboard with cherry browns.  The problem is that all these mechanical keyboards seem to have their own deficiencies (quirks?).  
Filco = pinging switches and it seems like complaints about quality control have been on the rise. $140
Leopold = mushy stabilizers $121
Ducky = bad cases (among other issues).  
Choc mini and poker = I just get the sense they are of inferior construction and they are just too new without a pedigree, unlike Leopold. $120
Das = shiny, no tenkeyless, and some complaints of wobbly keys. $115
Zowie, xArmor = too much bling for my tastes and the xArmor seems to have serious build problems. $100

I honestly don't understand why this is such a difficult decision though.  After all, I just bought a new ssd for more money and with much less anxiety.  What is it about a mechanical keyboard that causes such consternation?

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 10:40:16 »
its not. just buy them all.

problem solved
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Build Quality for Price
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 10:41:03 »
Quote from: burnt_norton;361115
I honestly don't understand why this is such a difficult decision though.  After all, I just bought a new ssd for more money and with much less anxiety.  What is it about a mechanical keyboard that causes such consternation?

An SSD has verifiable specifications that have nothing to do with your personal taste (other than faster is better).  A KB on the other hand is something you touch and therefor no one can tell you what it's really going to feel like for you.  Then there's whether you really have a handle on living with a modified layout (tenkeyless or 40/60% models).  I loved typing on the Choc Mini, got rid of it because of the layout.  Now I have a Filco gen1 tenkeyless and am very happy.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline burnt_norton

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 10:42:45 »
Well, my daughter is still 8 years from college.  Perhaps if I just borrowed a little...

Offline burnt_norton

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 10:53:09 »
It did occur to me that people expect more from their filco's, so they are scrutinized more closely.  When I read multiple threads of people returning their filco's because I pinging, however, it makes me nervous.

Offline The Solutor

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 10:53:56 »
I am in the same boat as Arcanius (with less time expended).  I have been lurking here for about a month and really want a mechanical keyboard with cherry browns.  The problem is that all these mechanical keyboards seem to have their own deficiencies (quirks?).  
Filco = pinging switches and it seems like complaints about quality control have been on the rise. $140
Leopold = mushy stabilizers $121
Choc mini and poker = I just get the sense they are of inferior construction and they are just too new without a pedigree, unlike Leopold. $120
Das = shiny, no tenkeyless, and some complaints of wobbly keys. $115
Zowie, xArmor = too much bling for my tastes and the xArmor seems to have serious build problems. $100

Obviously you missed the best keyboards for the price that are obviously the Cherry boards.

I bought one of them, brand new, for 44€, is not nice looking as an xarmor, nor ringing like a filco, nor compact like a poker, but are built better than any of them.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline burnt_norton

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 10:54:32 »
Tell me Ripster, are filco owners just that anal-retentive.

Offline burnt_norton

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 10:56:38 »
Quote from: The Solutor;361137
Obviously you missed the best keyboards for the price that are obviously the Cherry boards.

I bought one of them, brand new, for 44€, is not nice looking as an xarmor, nor ringing like a filco, nor compact like a poker, but is built better than any of them.

Find me a cherry board with brown switches for 44 euros that is not a compaq 11800, and I'm in.

Offline The Solutor

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 11:00:00 »
Quote from: burnt_norton;361142
Find me a cherry board with brown switches for 44 euros that is not a compaq 11800, and I'm in.

There are the clears ones that are way better than browns.

http://www.shopping.de/cherry-tastatur-g80-3000lqcde-0-grau/details/0/avin/12928841/?utm_source=preissuchmaschine&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=preisroboter
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline burnt_norton

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 11:07:48 »
While it is a bit of an irony that the browns have less substance than the clears, having used the blues and liked their lighter touch, I am more interested in the lighter browns (right now anyways).

Offline The Solutor

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 11:17:04 »
Quote from: burnt_norton;361153
While it is a bit of an irony that the browns have less substance than the clears, having used the blues and liked their lighter touch, I am more interested in the lighter browns (right now anyways).

Indeed I don't like either. BTW If I have to forcibly choose between clears and browns I'd go for clears.

Offline Lester

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 12:59:03 »

This problem with casing has been fixed with Ducky 1087

Offline MissileMike

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 13:13:13 »
Quote from: Lester;361040
How would you say the quality of a Ducky 1087 is compared to your leopold?

Really, the main difference is the weight- it's easy to notice the Leopold is heavier.  And the Leopold just feels a little more like a quality keyboard- right on par with filco.  But 40$ better?  Probably not.
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline MissileMike

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 13:13:46 »
Quote from: Lester;361224
This problem with casing has been fixed with Ducky 1087

Yes, my new 1087 is much better built than my old one.  I'd have no problem with it being my only keyboard.

Offline Bucky

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 13:30:53 »
Quote from: burnt_norton;361134
It did occur to me that people expect more from their filco's, so they are scrutinized more closely.  When I read multiple threads of people returning their filco's because I pinging, however, it makes me nervous.

I don't think that is exactly what he was saying. I think the point was that since there are more people with Filcos here than other boards, you get more complaints, it does not mean there are more complaints as a percentage of the Filcos owned (at least not neccessarily). I could be wrong, but that is what it seemed like to me :)

Offline MissileMike

Build Quality for Price
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 13:38:08 »
Quote from: ripster;361234
You should do a Old versus New Ducky Review.  Don't try and duck your responsibilities.

Yes, I should, but I don't have the old one anymore for photo comparisons...