Author Topic: Cherry Switch Tester Summer 2012 Tour  (Read 25206 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Cherry Switch Tester Summer 2012 Tour
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 08:04:24 »
Off-topic, but why is it that pictures can be posted in threads, but not in PMs?

When people are buying and selling, they may need to verify or clarify privately.

Also, we could send photos directly to Hashbaz instead of posting them twice.
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 10:36:28 »
Team Canada, please make sure you guys post more interesting pictures with my tester than both teams of Team America!

The challenge is on!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 12:19:50 »
Yeah I lament I never got to take the trip with it to Buffalo Bill Historical Museum in Cody, WY  I was planning due to extrenuating circumstances, but i still snapped that group shot. I was hoping that there'd be more comadarie in this thread A La "I LIKE SWITCH I DON'T LIKE SWITCH"
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 May 2012, 12:24:27 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Seanmiz

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 18:48:16 »
Got the midwest tester today, will post my thoughts soon!

Offline Seanmiz

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 19:02:55 »
Initial Thoughts:

Brown: Somewhat stiff, feels clunky, the tactile feels like it's just getting in the way.

Blue: Very nice, clearly heaven for typing, but a lot of "high pitched" noise. Curious how gaming is with blues, but obviously there's tons of blue gaming boards so it must be good!

Black:  Just way too much force required to push down the keys, I'm a gamer and it's still too much.  (Currently own a black keyboard)

Red: Much easier to type on than black, although kind of feels less satisfying to bottom out with.

Clear: Very stiff and clunky, my least favorite on this tester.

Ergo: Somewhere between Red and Blue, a bit quieter than both

Green:  Slightly more force but less noise version of Blues

NOTE: I have noticed that the first blue key on this midwest tester (Num Lock) is not functioning properly, doesn't click and can hear loose parts when typing on it.  I also noticed the first Ergo key (00) doesn't seem to have the bump like the other three, but feels fine otherwise.

Offline wrtcedar

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 19:59:40 »
First some background: I have a Kinesis Advantage LF. I picked this up in January after a dozen or so years on a Goldtouch split keyboard (dome keys). The age on the Goldtouch meant that keys were sticking and getting stiffer. I was mashing the keys to compensate. That, combined with 40 years of programming, wasn't doing my hands any favors. I got the Cherry reds edition of the Advantage because I liked the light feel and figured that my hands would as well. That's been true, but I've been looking forward to checking out the alternatives - especially with my hands feeling better.

My reactions:

Brown: I tried these briefly when I was at Kinesis and didn't like the tactile feedback. I still don't like it on these keys after using them for a more extended period. They feel rough - like they're not working quite right. There's less of it here than I remember on the new Kinesis. Does the bump wear over time? On these keys it feels a bit inconsistent. Even if the feedback were more pronounced, I'm not really sure that it would be very useful to me for touch typing. I suspect that I'd have long since moved onto other keys by the time the bump registers mentally, especially given that it seems pretty subtle to me. Still, having poked at these for a couple of days on the tester, I could see getting used to browns. I'm just not sure I'd ever come to really like them.

Blue: These sound really loud in my quiet office. I'd hate to share workspace with someone using a keyboard built with blues. On the other hand, it's very effective feedback on key registration.

Green: I like the sound better than the blues, but the one green key on the tester seems uncomfortably stiff to me.

Black: Even after few minutes of using these I could tell that they would make my hands hurt again long-term. I have big hands, but apparently they're too wimpy for Cherry blacks.

Red: I still like the light touch and the smooth action on these keys. Working down this list is making me glad that I got the Advantage with reds.

Clear: These feel too stiff to me, although I like the tactile bump better than the one on the browns.

Ergo clear: I guess that these are supposed to be like browns, but with a more distinct tactile bump. I get that from them, but they also feel like they could easily hang up. I'd probably be tempted to start hammering them like I had to with the old Goldtouch (really feel guilty now about my wife taking that after her old keyboard failed). If it weren't for the hang up concern, I'd probably like these better than the browns, as the ergo clears feel more consistent.

My ranking:

1. Red
2. Brown
3. Ergo clear
4. Blue
5. Clear
6. Black
7. Green

I could live with the first three. I'd have my doubts after that.

I see that my ranking is roughly in order of increasing activation pressure. It looks like my initial preference for reds is holding up. Now I'm wondering how hard it would be to mod reds to make them even lighter.

It's raining here again, so getting outdoor photos with the tester is a problem (unless it can swim). I suppose that a shot of the rain would be representative of the PNW, too. I'll see what I can do when I take it in tomorrow to send it off.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 20:24:16 »
Thanks for the review wrtcedar!

Offline litster

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 00:35:08 »
reading your two reviews made me re-trace my journey into keyboards last year.  I started with brown, sold it, got Realforce topre, Model buckling springs, and a couple blues.  I thought I red would be my favorite of all MX switches.  But I ended up going back to brown.  I am typing on 87U variable at work and 87U45g at home right now.  But I also typed on SSKs and MX Browns before I swapped in the topre keyboards.  I like brown so much so that I put brown into the first Phantom prototype.

Now please get some pictures with the testers.  :-)

Offline wrtcedar

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 00:40:16 »
Here's a picture of the west coast tester visiting Point Wilson Lighthouse, near Port Townsend, WA. This point is where the Strait of Juan de Fuca meets Puget Sound. All shipping traffic into and out of Puget Sound passes by this point. Navigational duties are now handled by an electronics tower just out of sight to the right, but this is more picturesque.

If you look (very) closely, you can see the Port Townsend ferry heading into town at the lower right.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52115[/ATTACH]

Offline litster

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 01:00:51 »
Very nice picture wrtcedar!  I need to go visit Port Townsend eventually.

Offline TechIsCool

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 19:19:09 »
Quote from: wrtcedar;606058
Here's a picture of the west coast tester visiting Point Wilson Lighthouse, near Port Townsend, WA. This point is where the Strait of Juan de Fuca meets Puget Sound. All shipping traffic into and out of Puget Sound passes by this point. Navigational duties are now handled by an electronics tower just out of sight to the right, but this is more picturesque.

If you look (very) closely, you can see the Port Townsend ferry heading into town at the lower right.
(Attachment Link) 52115[/ATTACH]

Nice picture had to register and say that I live on South Whidbey. I wish I could try the pad guess I will try and get in on another shipping set to try them out. I am using a rubber dome keyboard right now and would like to replace it but refuse to buy without feeling the different types.

Offline HamsterDog

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 13:55:12 »
received tester!
will post full updates and impressions tonight

Offline wrtcedar

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 18:49:56 »
Quote from: TechIsCool;606397
Nice picture had to register and say that I live on South Whidbey. I wish I could try the pad guess I will try and get in on another shipping set to try them out. I am using a rubber dome keyboard right now and would like to replace it but refuse to buy without feeling the different types.

Too bad we didn't know that there was an opportunity to share the stop. I see what you mean about trying first. I've been amazed by the range of opinions on these keys, even just in this thread.

Offline TechIsCool

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 21:55:09 »
Quote from: wrtcedar;606891
Too bad we didn't know that there was an opportunity to share the stop. I see what you mean about trying first. I've been amazed by the range of opinions on these keys, even just in this thread.

I know, oh well sometime soon I will have to try it. I washed my dome keyboard and well now it sticks on keys because their is no grease on it.

Which one did you like best?

Offline wrtcedar

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 01:41:49 »
Quote from: TechIsCool;606976
Which one did you like best?
I liked reds the best and blacks among the least. But there's at least one other review that has those reversed. Weird.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 05:12:23 »
Quote from: Internetlad;595170

Browns- Not at all what I was expecting, was hoping for a very pronounced "YOU HAVE NOW PRESSED THE KEY" like what you get with a BS key

I'm in search of the "YOU HAVE NOW PRESSED THE KEY" feeling with cherry. That's why I didn't lament my order of green, clear and whites in the recent cherry MX GB. Thanks for this awesome statement.

I need to find an interesting place to photograph this near, once I receive it.

I'm very interested to try clears and ergo-clears.

Offline weenis

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 13:47:44 »

I love Port Townsend. Spent a large part of my childhood there and Port Ludlow.

Just got it today. Man, I think I like the Blacks?!

And the next two for comparison-

Bonus points if you know what the purple tip means, without using Google. :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 June 2012, 14:03:57 by weenis »
Dell AT101W | Unicomp Spacesaver PC | IBM SpaceSaver Keyboard | IBM Black Label M | KBT Oni Brown | Leopold Otaku Brown | Noppoo Choc Mini Brown | IKBC F104 Brown

Offline weenis

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 14:03:09 »

Dell AT101W | Unicomp Spacesaver PC | IBM SpaceSaver Keyboard | IBM Black Label M | KBT Oni Brown | Leopold Otaku Brown | Noppoo Choc Mini Brown | IKBC F104 Brown

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 14:14:01 »
Quote from: weenis;607334

Just got it today. Man, I think I like the Blacks?!

...awesome pic...

And the next two for comparison-

...more awesome pics...

Tracer round?

Awesome pics man, thanks. :D

Welcome to the ranks of the few, the proud, the MX black lovers.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 14:37:46 »
Quote from: weenis;607334

Well there's only one on the (at the risk of sounding like an idiot) belt, and it would either be at the start or the end, Although i would have guessed "tracer" simply because I don't know of many other types of specialty ammo, and it would make sense to show you exactly how your shot is (again at the risk of sounding like an idiot) flying.

Since "tracer" has already been said, and for some reason i'd expect those to be white or red tip (total guess) I'll say it's a marker/paint round for sighting in.

Offline litster

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 15:07:10 »
Purple tip?  Obviously it has a poison spell on it for damage over time.

Nice pictures, BTW!  Should take the tester to shooting range for target practice and take more pictures.  Hehe :-)

Offline HamsterDog

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 18:39:51 »
I only recently got into mechanical keyboards. I bought two super modified keyboards from geekhack user TheProfosist back in December '11 and January '12. One is MX Blues, the other MX Reds. I went into buying them completely blind, only having done a substantial amount of reading to figure out which switches would likely be best for me...After using the tester switch, I think I did my homework well because I like what I purchased the best!

Browns - too light! I can barely feel the tactile bump. I feel like if I was using a full keyboard of browns I'd wind up bottoming them out anyway.

Blues - I use these on my work keyboard - lots of typing, emails, number pad data entry, etc. I find the high resistance from these plus the click in the middle is optimal for relieving/preventing any sort of RSI related pain. I hardly ever bottom the key out. I like the way the sound too. Noisy! But nobody has ever commented on it in the office--only that I type fast, not noisily.

Reds - featherweight switch! I use reds on my keyboard at home, where I do mostly FPS and the occasional RTS gaming. I like how they are extremely easy to actuate, and more importantly, keep actuated for extended periods of time. (Holding sprint/shift, holding forward/W, etc.)

Blacks - Glad I was able to compare these to the reds I've used for the past 6 months. I'd say they require twice as much force to actuate. I still prefer the reds over blacks for my gaming keyboard at home for the aforementioned reasons. For a typist, I would suggest to any prospective mechical keyboard owner to get a tactile switch over the blacks, most likely blues...If you're nerdy enough to wind up on geekhack, chances are you type fast enough to make use of blues. I feel like I would wind up hurting myself on browns from bottoming out too often. Back on topic, though, I don't care for the blacks at all, only because I feel the reds fill any role they may be suited for better.

Clear - I've done no research on these. The clears feel like they are weighted just about the same as the blues, except the tactile feel in the middle is just muddier and less precise than the blues. Do not like.

Ergo clear - These feel like they're also weighted about the same as blues. I'm not sure what the anatomy of this switch is but I could feel feedback almost immediately after applying pressure. These might be nice for the super speedy touch typist. If I was to invest in a 3rd keyboard to be used for mostly composition typing I'd consider this or topre (which I haven't tried before!)

Green - Just feels like a really, really heavy blue switch. I can imagine being fatigued quickly using a full keyboard of greens.

There is my review! Hope it comes in use to at least one prospective buyer, somehow, somewhere. I researched for hours before I finally made my first decision on what kind of switches to get. Will ship out the tester tomorrow, will also post a pic then too!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 18:46:09 »
Thanks Hamster.  Ergo clears are a clear stem with brown spring, i.e., lighter than regular clears but with a larger tactile bump than browns.

Offline weenis

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 23:25:34 »
Purple Tip .308 / 7.62x51 is Infrared Tracer. Military designation M276.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 19:30:09 »
Well based on my experiences with the tester and the rockin deal on Rosewills today, (63.99 with free crappy webcam) I've got a 104 black for business and please with my home PC on the way!

Offline litster

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 11:27:02 »
Snowmill just PM'ed me that my tester has arrived in Canada.  Here is the layout of my tester:

I am now PM'ing the second person in line on the Canadian tour.  Be sure to take and post pictures of the Great White North, in the summer!  Go Team Canada!

Offline litster

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 22:37:52 »
nar, you are next.  PMing you now.

Offline nar

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 22:54:08 »
Sent my mailing address.
BTW I'm switching out my internet access late this week/early next week (finally going to get more than 5mbps). After Thursday/Friday or so I won't have internet access till next Tuesday-Thursday so if I get the tester in that period I'll be offline till then.

Also, I'm wondering but I know in the original list a lot of people were from Toronto, how many are on the list now? I frequently bus back to Toronto so if there are a bunch of people there we maybe can do a meetup or something like they tried with the previous tester I believe.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline litster

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 23:53:20 »
Thanks for letting me know you emailed me.  You mail went to my junk mail box.  :-)  But I have your address now.  

Only the people who confirmed back are on the current list.  If there are people in and around the Toronto area and you want to meet with them for them to try with the tester, I think that is cool too, as long as it doesn't take more than a couple days longer to send to the next person in line.

Also, please post before you go online with your ISP and post again when you come back from the other side :-)  Thanks.

Offline litster

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 23:55:58 »
Just PM'ed snowmill to have him send it to you next.  

Snowmill, review and pictures please!

Offline Appeac

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 14:57:32 »
Come on, midwest, we're 1 behind the others, pick it up!
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 15 June 2012, 23:33:55 »
So, while I can't prove any statistical correlation, I would like to let you folk know that my date to senior prom was the tattooed lady friend who took a picture with Hashbaz's numpad back when I had it. I'm thinking that probably had something to do with it.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 16 June 2012, 00:53:38 »
Quote from: Quarzac;614540
So, while I can't prove any statistical correlation, I would like to let you folk know that my date to senior prom was the tattooed lady friend who took a picture with Hashbaz's numpad back when I had it. I'm thinking that probably had something to do with it.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 16 June 2012, 01:38:33 »
numpads are better than alcohol now!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline phantomz

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 16 June 2012, 09:58:03 »
I just recently found out about mechanical keyboards. I've trying to figure out how to try out all the cherry switches to find one I like. So thanks hashbaz and litster for the awesome idea of a cherry switch tour!

I'm in Toronto so if there are any Canadians on the tour list in Toronto please PM me. I would love to drop by and test out the switches. :D

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 16 June 2012, 22:29:52 »
Hashbaz, what's with the "green" on your east coast tester? The stem is white, and according to this post: whites and greens are different:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?32108-Cherry-MX-(taking-pre-orders!)&p=615194&viewfull=1#post615194
Just wondering.

I'll try to ship it out Monday before work.

Thanks for letting me try this! I'm still very excited about ergo clears.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 22:35:44 »
Quote from: dorkvader;615209
Hashbaz, what's with the "green" on your east coast tester? The stem is white, and according to this post: whites and greens are different:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?32108-Cherry-MX-(taking-pre-orders!)&p=615194&viewfull=1#post615194
Just wondering.

I'll try to ship it out Monday before work.

Thanks for letting me try this! I'm still very excited about ergo clears.

Litster's tester has a green switch.  The white clicky switch on mine is lighter than a green, I believe.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 22:44:46 »
If it's a true white, it should be heavier than the green, makes less noise too even though it clicks.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 22:46:13 »
Quote from: alaricljs;615958
If it's a true white, it should be heavier than the green, makes less noise too even though it clicks.

There was some argument about how heavy these things are ... I can't remember if there was a consensus.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 22:48:02 »
Well, I have current whites and greens here... white is stiffer.  No clue if that's a different white considering I was under the impression 8 months ago that white didn't get made any more.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 22:49:43 »
Guys, don't know if hash has mentioned this already but sorry to be the one holding up the line.  According to USPS, the tester was delivered to me on the 11th but I haven't received anything.  Hopefully they delivered it to my neighbor in the next building (it happened before with the Darth Vader keycap from ClickClack and a few more times after that).

I went and knocked on her doors for the past few days but noone was there.  I'm thinking she might be out of town or something and hopefully be back soon.  Sorry about the delay. =(
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 22:51:17 »
That sucks, but at least she's 'next door'  My nega-address is 1.8 miles away.  grrrrr.  Of course, I also get his crap too.  Any one need 3 cases of american legion post #1 tumbler's?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 23:28:02 »
^ After I posted that, my neighbor just walked over and handed this to me. ><

Din Eli

Offline litster

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 01:55:19 »
Nar, I sent your address to snowmill, but I have not heard from snowmill since Monday night.  Last thing from him was he was sick.  He hasn't posted any picture or review yet either.  Just shot him another reminder mail.

Offline nar

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 20:47:51 »
Well I'm back now with internet that has gotten up to 10x faster than my old speeds.

Can't wait for the tester now that NCIX has just gotten Filcos in stock, I may buy my first every Cherry Switch keyboard yet.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline litster

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 01:50:10 »
Still not heard from snowmill yet.  His last activity on GH was June 10th, the day he sent me a PM that he got the tester.  

The Canadian tour is off to an awesome start...

Offline ClackHead

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 14:39:21 »
Quote from: litster;617647
Still not heard from snowmill yet.  His last activity on GH was June 10th, the day he sent me a PM that he got the tester.  

The Canadian tour is off to an awesome start...

Common snowmill don't let us down :(

Filco Majestouch TKL MXBlue

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 16:18:44 »
Bytheway, I mailed mine off to the next GH'er yesterday morning. I received it the 13'th or 14'th, and mailed it the 19'th.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 22:52:03 »
End of the line at Santa Monica Pier!  Now who's next? lol =P

Din Eli

Offline wrtcedar

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 00:34:21 »
Cool! I'd heard about Santa Monica Pier. Seeing the West Coast tester there is almost like being there myself!

No it's not.