Author Topic: Deck Keyboards  (Read 5877 times)

Offline zerogravitas

Deck Keyboards
« on: Thu, 28 February 2008, 11:04:30 »
I stumbled across something interesting over on their forum.

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=362
You may want to keep an eye on our site for 2008, we are considering a change from the linear switches to tactile. More info will be given if we do go ahead with the change.

They also have a poll on the subject:
http://www.deckkeyboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426

Now if only they would make a tactile/clicky n-key rollover board without all the cheesy LED garbage. :-P

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Deck Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 February 2008, 12:33:01 »
That's interesting considering for the longest time there were quite adamant about NOT switching from the linear keyswitches.

I guess the customer IS always right.  :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Deck Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 February 2008, 12:35:50 »
No matter what switch they use, their 82 key model's layout is still pretty F'ed up.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Deck Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 February 2008, 13:20:55 »
Quote from: xsphat;3234
No matter what switch they use, their 82 key model's layout is still pretty F'ed up.

I don't think it is all that bad.  Personally, I'd like the BS to be in the same position as on the HHKB.  The arrow keys crowd the right shift (which is what sucks about the SMK-88 and ML4100)...meta keys on only one side of the space bar is probably the biggest issue.

I don't find it any more repulsive than a lot of other space savers.  (at least the arrow keys aren't in some weird configuration)  :)

Offline skyian

Deck Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 March 2008, 07:12:13 »
I bought one DECK 105 keys keyboard with blue light about one and half years ago. I asked my college classmate to bring it back to Taiwan for me.

I have to admit it's truly gorgeous at night, if you have to turn off the lights while you type... ^_^

But the touch is really too hard for me to type it. I have to use almost twice or third times the power to use it. I truly don't know how do they deck co. find those hard cherry black switches.

Owing to its steel board, it's not so easy to change the swithces. I truly hope one day they will produce DECK in brown switches. Blue switches is too noisy for me.. ^_^
My Own Keyboards:
RF 103 SILENT 30g, RF RGB, RF103black, RF103white, RF87UB, RF87WB, RF101, HHKB PRO2, Cherry with white, blue, brown, black, RED swithces...etc

WAITING FOR THE Ultimate Bluetooth converter for any keyboard.  Also the Beautiful GMK CAMPING Keycap.

Offline pex

Deck Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 March 2008, 13:42:03 »
Deck The Legend is claimed to be n-key rollover.  I find it interesting this had to be clarified on the forum and is not found expressed this way in their FAQ.

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.

Offline skyian

Deck Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 March 2008, 07:20:49 »
Quote from: pex;3385
Deck The Legend is claimed to be n-key rollover.  I find it interesting this had to be clarified on the forum and is not found expressed this way in their FAQ.

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320

COOL!

Now we have three different keyboards with NKRO function.
1. FILCO NKRO keyboard.
2, Realforce 101 103 ps/2 version
3. DECK ps/2 version.
My Own Keyboards:
RF 103 SILENT 30g, RF RGB, RF103black, RF103white, RF87UB, RF87WB, RF101, HHKB PRO2, Cherry with white, blue, brown, black, RED swithces...etc

WAITING FOR THE Ultimate Bluetooth converter for any keyboard.  Also the Beautiful GMK CAMPING Keycap.

Offline zerogravitas

Deck Keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 March 2008, 08:43:06 »
http://www.steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/7g/information

SteelSeries 7G redefines “anti-ghosting" by supporting as many simultaneous key presses as there are keys on the keyboard.

That's four now.   Not that this one is actually available anywhere. :)

Offline IBI

Deck Keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 March 2008, 09:07:45 »
Is the Das Keyboard not n-key rollover?
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline alpslover

Deck Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 March 2008, 10:26:21 »
Quote from: zerogravitas;3442
http://www.steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/7g/information

That's four now.   Not that this one is actually available anywhere. :)

but have all of these actually been verified?  'advertised as such' doesn't mean a whole lot.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Deck Keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 March 2008, 10:41:05 »
Very true.

Hey alpslover, what kind of switches do you like?

Offline zerogravitas

Deck Keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 March 2008, 18:30:48 »
Yah, good point. :)

The CVT Avant keyboards are advertised has having "“N” key rollover for speed. https://www.cvtinc.com/products/keyboards/comparison.htm

Offline alpslover

Deck Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 March 2008, 19:12:11 »
Quote from: xsphat;3447
Hey alpslover, what kind of switches do you like?

rubber domes of course.

i do like certain model m's though.  out of the ones i have, i like the first one i bought the most, as it has a crisper feel than any of the ones i acquired later.  i've never been able to get another that felt just like it, despite trying to match plt numbers and getting the manufacturing dates close.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Deck Keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 March 2008, 19:46:23 »
That is odd... by FAR the best Model M I've ever typed on is this 1391401 from June 3, 1993. VERY light action (lighter than even some of the lighter rubber domes I've typed on,) VERY crisp action.

(The worst... I'd have to say my 1991 1391401, after I did a full cleaning, and didn't dry the keys well enough. The springs actually rusted slightly. :eek:)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Deck Keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 March 2008, 19:50:05 »
Hey Alpslover, what kind of keyboard do you use? What's your collection look like?

Offline IBI

Deck Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 05 March 2008, 21:24:40 »
What about the cherry G80-3000, is that n-key rollover?
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline zerogravitas

Deck Keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 05 March 2008, 22:11:34 »
Quote from: IBI;3444
Is the Das Keyboard not n-key rollover?

Quote from: IBI;3462
What about the cherry G80-3000, is that n-key rollover?

As far as I have been able to gather, the Das Keyboard II is a rebranded Cherry G80-3000.  Can anyone confirm this?

According to mr_sf_applet here: http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=1749&postcount=65

Quote from: mr_sf_applet;1749
These are my attempts to press ERXC simultaneously -- 10 times -- on Das Keyboard II:

cx
cx
cx
xc
cx
cx
cx
cxr
cx
cxr

I think that was before iMav's applet was posted.

Offline alpslover

Deck Keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 08 March 2008, 20:34:05 »
Quote from: xsphat;3461
Hey Alpslover, what kind of keyboard do you use? What's your collection look like?

some model m's, some focus 2001's (both genuine and fake alps), an assortment of dells with various switch types (buckling spring, alps, and rubber domes), a zeos with grey alps, and a bunch of other off-brand keyboards with weird switches (one or two of which are actually quite nice to type on, even if the overall quality of the keyboards themselves isn't the best).