Author Topic: Cherry red switch  (Read 5693 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cherry red switch
« on: Thu, 15 January 2009, 12:42:02 »
Without igniting another huge piece by piece discussion like the Alps thing, what are the Cherry red switches? are they clicky tactile with less click and more pressure than the blues? and is there any keyboard on Earth that uses them right now?

And lastly, has anyone here actually typed on a keyboard with them?

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Cherry red switch
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 January 2009, 12:44:17 »
They are light linear switches. The force graph indicates they are lighter than Cherry browns and blues.

Offline sandy55

Cherry red switch
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 January 2009, 03:40:21 »
Quote from: Chloe;18301
They are light linear switches. The force graph indicates they are lighter than Cherry browns and blues.
through force graphs ( click her for blue/brown/black ), I almost believe red and blue have same spring. if you trace down the line of blue mx, it is almost same with that of red ( under condition that measuring unit cN and g are same or almost same )

Quote from: xsphat;18299
and is there any keyboard on Earth that uses them right now?
http://www.scythe.co.jp/input-device/mx-board-r.html

lastly, has anyone here actually typed on a keyboard with them?
Don't push my back to force me to buy it

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cherry red switch
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 January 2009, 03:55:52 »
Sandy, I'll meet you half way and allow you to buy it for me ...

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Cherry red switch
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 January 2009, 06:33:39 »
Quote from: sandy55;18323
through force graphs ( click her for blue/brown/black ), I almost believe red and blue have same spring. if you trace down the line blue, it is almost same with that of red ( under condition that measuring unit cN and g are same or almost same )

The operating forces are also similar:
Red 45 ± 15 cN
Brown 45 ± 20 cN
Blue 50 ± 15 cN

I wonder if the red stem is any different to the black.

Offline xyzzy

Cherry red switch
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 January 2009, 07:44:19 »
Quote from: Chloe;18335
The operating forces are also similar:
Red 45 ± 15 cN
Brown 45 ± 20 cN
Blue 50 ± 15 cN

Uh, I thought blues were lighter than browns. Cherry states in their MX switches page:

Linear Feel (black)
  op.force  2.1oz ± 0.7oz
  tac.force -

Soft Tactile (brown) EDIT: probably not brown but CLEAR stem
  op.force  2.0oz ± 0.7oz
  tac.force 2.3oz ± 0.7oz

Click Tactile (blue)
  op.force  1.8oz ± 0.5oz
  tac.force 2.1oz ± 0.5oz

I haven't got any blues to try yet, so I can't talk out of personal experience. I'm reading the data incorrectly?

EDIT: looks like I confused brown stem with clear stem, the data above should refer to clear stem (soft tactile, standard force) rather than brown (soft tactile, ergonomic)

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Cherry red switch
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 January 2009, 08:09:29 »
Here you can see the blue and brown curves for comparison. The faint lines are the blues:

Offline sandy55

Cherry red switch
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 January 2009, 10:03:25 »
Quote from: Chloe;18335

I think they are identical...I mean, same. see the picture in Black on Brown thread again.

Just for comparison, I put a picture of stems ( blue, brown, black )

Total lengs L1 and L2 are basically same. but there is a free space L3 in blue. white part with leg( twig? how do you call? ) of blue stem just moves upward without pressing force from switching leaf for a short period when the stem is pressed . while brown stem receives pressing force from switching leaf from beginning when the stem is pressed.    
this causes the deference of pressing force from 0mm point to pressure point...so I think.

xsphat, I'd like to say sorry in advance for my piece by piece observation.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Cherry red switch
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 January 2009, 10:29:55 »
Hopefully these force graph comparisons will be useful. It seems closer to the blue than brown.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Cherry red switch
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 January 2009, 10:31:32 »
xyzzy: That's not brown, that's clear stem.

Offline xyzzy

Cherry red switch
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 January 2009, 11:48:25 »
Quote from: Chloe;18358
Here you can see the blue and brown curves for comparison. The faint lines are the blues:

Quote from: bhtooefr;18383
xyzzy: That's not brown, that's clear stem.

That would explain the difference, as the clear stem should be the same as the brown one but with a higher force.

Looks like the clear stem is "soft tactile, standard force" and the brown "soft tactile, ergonomic", even if in some Cherry documentation I've seen either the browns (MX1A-G1xx) or the clear stems (MX1A-C1xx) referred to as "soft tactile", period. A bit confusing.

Thanks chloe and bhtooefr.

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)