Author Topic: Problems with FILCO Majestouch Wireless  (Read 5427 times)

Offline ayoung24

Problems with FILCO Majestouch Wireless
« on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 07:53:15 »
I splurged on a Majestouch Wireless about 3 months ago and as far as tactile feel, it is certainly in a class of its own.  I am, however, having trouble with both key rollover and the bluetooth connection.  I'm curious if there are others with the same problems, or if they are specific to my pc/board.

It seems that certain combinations of keys are impossible for this board; certain words are always "problem" words and I have to type them slowly to make sure they come out right.  For example, the word "override" is a problem because "ver" is an impossible combination; it always misses the first "r" and comes out "overide".  Furthermore, pressing the shift key limits the number of regular keys which may be pressed.  So if try to type DEER in caps using the shift key, it won't register "E" until i let my finger completely off the "D".  Typing anything in caps is horrendously slow.  These are just two examples but there are many, many more.

I know this board doesn't have n-key rollover, but I also have an old logitech wireless keyboard, a dell bluetooth wireless, and a dell usb, none with any sort of "n-key rollover" and still handle these situations without any problems whatsoever.

At first I thought it was just my typing style: being accustomed to a membrane keyboard, I need to learn to type more lightly.  Well, I've been working at it for 3 months now and here I am.

The second problem is the bluetooth connection.  If I stop typing for about 2 minutes, the keyboard disconnects.  Then, when I start typing again, nothing happens for 10-30 seconds while the little blue "connecting" light flashes on the keyboard.  2 minutes is actually not very long; often when I'm surfing the web I'll go a few minutes just using the mouse, and when I come back to the keyboard, it's disconnected.  This is annoying enough for me, and I can put up with it, but it's especially annoying when someone else sits down to do something on my computer and the keyboard doesn't work (especially when they know you spent almost $200 on it).  My old logitech wireless will go over a year without disconnecting.

I've tried using the internal bluetooth on my Lenovo T400 as well as the bluetooth USB dongle that came with the keyboard.  I've tried turning off the wifi on my laptop; using the laptop where there was no wifi present, period... putting the keyboard directly in front of the laptop, or far away... no difference.  Incurable narcolepsy, it seems.

I'm getting close to giving up.  I love the feel and clack of cherry browns to the point of dreaming about it at night, but I also need something that "just works".  Was I just dealt a lemon?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 08:01:33 »
The company that makes these keyboards (Costar) has had some trouble in the past with rollover problems (the Das III, mainly).  I have also seen a review for the ABS keyboard on Newegg that had a similar issue to what you described, but it seems that was an isolated incident.  You may just have a lemon.  I have not heard any of the Filco owners have any issues with theirs, but I am not sure how many people here have the wireless version, either.  The Das III uses a different interfacing technology than most keyboards, so that seems to be the source of its problems.  You may want to see if you can exchange it which might be difficult logistically.

Offline andb

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 11:57:05 »
I've often wondered, what can be done about warranty when you by a 'board through Gmarket or one of the Japanese services? Is there any hope of getting a broken unit fixed or replaced, or do you just deal with it and buy another?

Anyone have experience with warranty repair for one of these imported 'boards?

Offline ayoung24

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 15:14:30 »
I bought the keyboard directly from amazon.co.jp and had it shipped to my girlfriend's house (she lives in japan) and then she sent it to me.  Even if I could send it back "under warranty", I would need to first send it back to Japan--I'm guessing it would cost around $70 for the round trip.  Not to mention the fact that my girlfriend is a virtual neophyte when it comes to technology, and my floundering Japanese ability is probably not good enough to be able to explain to them exactly what is wrong with the board.

So there are definitely some logistics issues here.

I am hoping someone else here actually has a Majestouch Wireless and can confirm whether or not my board is a lemon.

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 16:33:25 »
Quote from: ayoung24;18784
I am hoping someone else here actually has a Majestouch Wireless and can confirm whether or not my board is a lemon.

I'm typing from my bluetooth majestouch (brown cherries) at the moment, and I can type 'DEER' and 'override' as much as I want without a problem. Anyway, I can agree on the disconnecting part, but mine reconnects in less that 10 seconds, so it doesn't bother me that much. I also have another one but it is the wired version, and I don't have problems with it either. The only difference between them is that the wired one has this greasy smooth surface (which i adore), while the bluetooth one's surface is rougher, something closer to the hhkb pro. the last sentence didn't have anything to do with your problem, I just wanted to share my impressions from these two, there are some guys here who don't like the greasy polish part... unfortunately, yes, your board probably is faulty. did you try another OS, I'm using linux (ubuntu) with the stock dongle, but also have used it with an integrated one - works like a charm. good luck with yours.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 16:44:31 »
What OS are you wireless Filco users using?

Offline ayoung24

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 18:16:16 »
I have the same connection and rollover problems on Vista Business (Lenovo T400) and OS/X (iMac 24").