Author Topic: How do you guys game with your 60%?  (Read 18956 times)

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
Re: How do you guys game with your 60%?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 17:53:45 »
I couldn't imagine playing things like Sonic Generations, or even Mirror's Edge on keyboard.

Mirror's Edge is so much better on a keyboard and mouse.

That's a claim my friend made, and he further insisted that it was faster. So I wagered I'd beat him, so we both were sitting next to each other on a couch him on his laptop and me on the desktop I had brought over, and launched the game at the same time. I won every level we played. I turned slower than he could of course, but I could move better.

lol so this proves what exactly?
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 04:12:57 »
I couldn't imagine playing things like Sonic Generations, or even Mirror's Edge on keyboard.

That's a claim my friend made, and he further insisted that it was faster. So I wagered I'd beat him, so we both were sitting next to each other on a couch him on his laptop and me on the desktop I had brought over, and launched the game at the same time. I won every level we played. I turned slower than he could of course, but I could move better.

So, a gamepad and mouse is the best combination, then? :)

I like keyboard and mouse for pretty much everything except driving games. Fast and accurate (assuming you have no mouse accel). For driving games I have a gamepad for the arcade style ones where you have to go lock-to-lock quickly and don't need such precision and a good wheel for the others that benefit from sensitive controls (Logitech G25). Rally games and driving sims are awesome with the wheel.

Back on topic: With a Poker 2 you can set up the F keys on a layer on and around your movement keys, so you can hit them quickly when needed. Use Caps lock as Fn. Will take a bit of getting used to, but may end up faster than moving your hand on a full size or TKL.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Gaahl

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 10:01:40 »
I play with my FC660c just fine, but it does have arrow keys so I don't know if that is cheating. The only game I have had to re map something on is Arma III (the 3rd person command).
Poker II MX Clears
Leopold fc660c

Offline qwack

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 13:34:38 »

Try executing kick glitches with a gamepad.

Keyboard + mouse all the way to play ME  ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 14:35:21 by qwack »

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline mougrim

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 01:40:50 »
tons of dota2/LoL players talking here... I feel like the only genre of games that 60% effects is RTS.

Don't forget racing and flight sims.

who plays racing games and flight sims with a keyboard?
and if you do, why?

Because you can :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 04:03:49 »
I play a ton of MOBA and FPS with my HHKB, no problems so far to me.

Offline Cheesebaron

• blog
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 07:24:00 »
I just mash all the buttons, works fine for me on my Poker II. Blues are the bees knees for gaming, don't listen to fanboys saying reds are the best :D

MINILA       Poker II       Model M
MX Blue      MX Blue       SSK '88

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 07:43:28 »
I need the function keys for playing Battlefield 4.  Tried using a Pure for a while, switched back to my Tenkeyless.
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 08:37:48 »
I need the function keys for playing Battlefield 4.  Tried using a Pure for a while, switched back to my Tenkeyless.

What are you using the F keys for? Can't you remapp them?
I just ask out of curiosity because I wan't to get BF4 soon.

Offline Sykes

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 08:40:30 »
tons of dota2/LoL players talking here... I feel like the only genre of games that 60% effects is RTS.

High end MMO (PvP), too. You will most definitely make use of your F-keys unless you're a scrub or make some sick tripple binds or what not.
:(

Offline osi

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 08:47:24 »
One of the reasons I love a 60% for gaming is ergonomics, primarily an FPS gamer here. The smaller footprint of the board allows me to be completely flexible in where I put the board. A good distance away from my mouse is ideal. With larger boards, it is simply more awkward and allows less freedom of position.

If F keys are required for your game, I would definitely shy away from a 60%. The ease of use of a single keypress is superior to multiple keypress sequence (in gaming)  for the same result. Allowing for faster key presses and freeing up the supporting falange so it is available for other actions!

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 09:24:25 »
I just got my first DSA set.

trying out now.

I don't really like it for typing lol.

I might play a few games of dota tonight, see how it goes on that.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 13:17:26 »
My two words,

I have my Poker II on my gaming machine. I use it as a replacement for the Nostromo on FPS especially. I play CS and it feels like a charm with the Steelseries Ikrai Lazer. Also nice for strategy games like Dogs of War and MMOs like World of Warcraft and FF14RR.

I also have a regular PS2 controller and a PS1 controller for single player games like Sonic Generations or emulators (Gamecube for smash melee and mario kart DD). I can use both at the same time so it's nice when friends comes over

I also have an X-Arcade tankstick for fighting games like Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition and Street Fighter X Tekken.

I also have a DDR floor mat for games like DDR.

I also have a leap motion for games on Air space like Boom Ball.

I also have a Wii-U Tablet/Gamepad with 4 Wiimotes, 4 nunchucks and 4 classic controllers for games like the upcomming Smash Bros and upcomming Mario Kart.

I also have an iPad Mini with Retina Display for mobile games like Hearthstone or Hitman Go or Device 6.

I also have a Zapper and a Carabine for my NES when i play Duck Hunt.

I also have 2 joysticks and 4 paddles for the Atari to play Warlords or Pong.

You can never have too much input devices. Try everything.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Sykes

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 08:47:16 »
My two words,

I have my Poker II on my gaming machine. I use it as a replacement for the Nostromo on FPS especially. I play CS and it feels like a charm with the Steelseries Ikrai Lazer. Also nice for strategy games like Dogs of War and MMOs like World of Warcraft and FF14RR.

I also have a regular PS2 controller and a PS1 controller for single player games like Sonic Generations or emulators (Gamecube for smash melee and mario kart DD). I can use both at the same time so it's nice when friends comes over

I also have an X-Arcade tankstick for fighting games like Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition and Street Fighter X Tekken.

I also have a Wii-U Tablet/Gamepad with 4 Wiimotes, 4 nunchucks and 4 classic controllers for games like the upcomming Smash Bros and upcomming Mario Kart.

I also have an iPad Mini with Retina Display for mobile games like Hearthstone or Hitman Go or Device 6.

No your Poker 2 is not good for World of Warcraft unless you have a severe lack of binds, or just do PvE and not high end PvP.
:(

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 08:54:02 »
So after last night's dota session,

i must say that I do enjoy gaming on a dsa profile on my 60%.

might take a bit of getting used to since the profile is rather flat, but it's fun :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 17:50:09 »

might take a bit of getting used to since the profile is rather flat, but it's fun :)

Interesting.  Maybe for typing your fingers have built up muscle memory for a curved key top surface.  Gaming not so much, as long as the right finger is on the right key.

I am waiting to try my first DSA set - Granite.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 21:05:34 »

Interesting.  Maybe for typing your fingers have built up muscle memory for a curved key top surface.  Gaming not so much, as long as the right finger is on the right key.

I am waiting to try my first DSA set - Granite.

Yeah i'm not really used to the surface for typing but for playing games, especially for games like dota and stuff, you know how you mostly rest your fingers on the same keys most of the time? I like how the DSA cradles your fingertips.

Combine that with red switches, omg lol. I unplug my keyboard when I'm watching a video or something just to rest my fingers on it and press random keys repeatedly cause it just feels so good.

But as for typing, I don't know. I'm still having problems with my new set and my spacebar

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:44:39 »
My two words,

No your Poker 2 is not good for World of Warcraft unless you have a severe lack of binds, or just do PvE and not high end PvP.

I have not played wow for a long time but i know for sure it was pretty decent with the Poker II and the Bartender add-on. I played Warrior so there wasn't very much binds needed.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX