Author Topic: Would a HHKB pro 2 be worth my money?  (Read 11083 times)

Offline snipars

Re: Would a HHKB pro 2 be worth my money?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 16:02:41 »
I think i'm going to have a bit of trouble adapting to the HHKB, I have my backspace mapped to capslock (so i can press it with my left hand, it's where the CONTROL is on HHKB), so i'm going to have to get used to having the backspace in the top right of the keyboard as well as control being where my backspace usually is
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline Kmynis

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 16:52:31 »
I think i'm going to have a bit of trouble adapting to the HHKB, I have my backspace mapped to capslock (so i can press it with my left hand, it's where the CONTROL is on HHKB), so i'm going to have to get used to having the backspace in the top right of the keyboard as well as control being where my backspace usually is

Don't forget to mess around with dipswitches. I would have not likes this board if I didn't find the "set" I like.
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 20:15:30 »
Yes, I was amazed and surprised by how fast I adjusted to the HHKB Pro 2 layout. Not only did I adjust, I found the layout so ideal that I have remapped all my other keyboards to the HHKB Pro 2 layout or something as close to it as possible.

The only negative for me about the HHKB Pro 2 is the return stroke clack of the keys, which is probably accentuated by the fact that the switches are case-mounted instead of plate-mounted. This is why I currently use my RF 879b 55g most of the time, but I still keep the HHKB Pro 2 in my keyboard rotation along with my IBM XT.
Can't the return stroke be lessen by a silencing mod like Spicebar did on his RF/Novatouch? Which I guess would be equivalent to what a HHKB Type-S is about.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 20:26:02 »
Yes, I was amazed and surprised by how fast I adjusted to the HHKB Pro 2 layout. Not only did I adjust, I found the layout so ideal that I have remapped all my other keyboards to the HHKB Pro 2 layout or something as close to it as possible.

The only negative for me about the HHKB Pro 2 is the return stroke clack of the keys, which is probably accentuated by the fact that the switches are case-mounted instead of plate-mounted. This is why I currently use my RF 879b 55g most of the time, but I still keep the HHKB Pro 2 in my keyboard rotation along with my IBM XT.
Can't the return stroke be lessen by a silencing mod like Spicebar did on his RF/Novatouch? Which I guess would be equivalent to what a HHKB Type-S is about.

It would do what a Type-S does but with a very noticeable reduction in switch travel and a change in the tactility of the switches - some reviewers have reported that silence modded Topres make the switch feel linear, thus losing all the tactility of the Topre switch.

This is not necessarily a bad thing as some might prefer a more linear keypress but Topres are, in the end, extremely premium rubber dome keyboards and the tactility is part of what sets it apart from cheap rubber domes. Of course, there are other reasons to choose Topre, but to me, the tactile "bump" at the start of the keypress is part of why I love Topres. This is a personal preference though, and others may disagree.

The Type-S comes at a premium over the regular model but it does have elongated sliders to accommodate the silencing foam so the feel of the keypress is virtually the same as the non-silenced HHKB, with the tactility at the very start of the keypress. The result is a very, very quiet keyboard that does not sacrifice the wonderful Topre feel.

I've only tried regular Topres and Type-S and can confirm the feel is very very similar if not exactly the same. On the other hand, I haven't tried silence-modded Topres to confirm the loss of tactility.
null

Offline snipars

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 22:19:49 »

It would do what a Type-S does but with a very noticeable reduction in switch travel and a change in the tactility of the switches - some reviewers have reported that silence modded Topres make the switch feel linear, thus losing all the tactility of the Topre switch.

This is not necessarily a bad thing as some might prefer a more linear keypress but Topres are, in the end, extremely premium rubber dome keyboards and the tactility is part of what sets it apart from cheap rubber domes. Of course, there are other reasons to choose Topre, but to me, the tactile "bump" at the start of the keypress is part of why I love Topres. This is a personal preference though, and others may disagree.

The Type-S comes at a premium over the regular model but it does have elongated sliders to accommodate the silencing foam so the feel of the keypress is virtually the same as the non-silenced HHKB, with the tactility at the very start of the keypress. The result is a very, very quiet keyboard that does not sacrifice the wonderful Topre feel.

I've only tried regular Topres and Type-S and can confirm the feel is very very similar if not exactly the same. On the other hand, I haven't tried silence-modded Topres to confirm the loss of tactility.

how similar do topre and silenced topre feel? and is it possible to convert type-s to standard topre? if it's really similar then i might be better off getting the type-s
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline snipars

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 22:20:37 »

how similar do topre and silenced topre feel? and is it possible to convert type-s to standard topre? if it's really similar then i might be better off getting the type-s

Offline feizor

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 05:59:15 »

The type-s costs about 100$ more than a regular hhkb pro 2. Instead of converting it to a regular hhkb, you would be better off selling it and buying the regular version. End up with $100 more in your pocket.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 06:25:09 »
I'm a huge fan of Topre switches, PBT keycaps and the 60% form, my favourite keyboard is a novatouch with vortex PBTs but i'd rather have a 60% like my poker 2 
I'm okay with spending �200 on a keyboard (provided i sell my crap ones i don't use anymore), Is the hhkb really as great a keyboard as people say? my Novatouch with Vortex doubleshot PBTs would be a perfect keyboard if it was smaller!

There is so many of these threads now, my god.

It depends what you're going to be using it for, if you're going to be using it for gaming, I wouldn't advise it. If it's going to be a generic browsing, coding keyboard, then it's probably the best board that you'll ever buy.

The layout takes some getting used too and the dip switches are very advantageous and helpful.

Some people don't mind it for gaming though, I think it's similar to how some people use blues for gaming, while others will never do that and so on, it's all down to the preference of the user and what not.
你搞砸了

Offline snipars

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 09:26:37 »
I'm a huge fan of Topre switches, PBT keycaps and the 60% form, my favourite keyboard is a novatouch with vortex PBTs but i'd rather have a 60% like my poker 2 
I'm okay with spending �200 on a keyboard (provided i sell my crap ones i don't use anymore), Is the hhkb really as great a keyboard as people say? my Novatouch with Vortex doubleshot PBTs would be a perfect keyboard if it was smaller!

There is so many of these threads now, my god.

It depends what you're going to be using it for, if you're going to be using it for gaming, I wouldn't advise it. If it's going to be a generic browsing, coding keyboard, then it's probably the best board that you'll ever buy.

The layout takes some getting used too and the dip switches are very advantageous and helpful.

Some people don't mind it for gaming though, I think it's similar to how some people use blues for gaming, while others will never do that and so on, it's all down to the preference of the user and what not.

topres are perfect for gaming in my opinion, although i don't play that many games anymore, although i feel i'm going to be missing out by not using it for programming, which i don't do anymore

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 10:06:38 »

I think the first version Spicebar released of his silencing mod did have a problem with reducing the key travel hence losing a bit of the tactility. However for some time now he released another version of it where you use a clothing iron on the landing pads to lessen their thickness. He used that new method on both his Novatouch and RF 87u without noticing any reduced key travel. But we'd better be asking him in order to be sure.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 10:24:40 »
The same question of the op lingered in my head.. until I saw all the one liner "yes" lol there must be something more than "special" to this board..
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline zshang

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 18:31:19 »
YES, JUST BUY IT

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 19:03:25 »
The same question of the op lingered in my head.. until I saw all the one liner "yes" lol there must be something more than "special" to this board..
It's not just"special," it's "magical."
null

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 19:10:12 »
I'm not going to lie, it was too light for me, and I had to sell mine. In my purely subjective opinion you should just stick with the novatouch, the hkkb is just too plasticy

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 19:16:34 »

The type-s costs about 100$ more than a regular hhkb pro 2. Instead of converting it to a regular hhkb, you would be better off selling it and buying the regular version. End up with $100 more in your pocket.
~50 dollars more at least in the US.

~250-260 to get a regular one shipped to the US via forwarding service (or from EK.com) or ~300-310 to get the Type-S shipped from Japan via forwarding service.

50 dollars is much more easy to swallow than 100.

At 100 dollars more, the Type-S, arguably, isn't worth it in my opinion but at 50 dollars more it's an instant buy over the regular model for me.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 December 2014, 19:18:45 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 10:59:28 »
I'm using the HHKB right now and I really started enjoying it after

Offline snipars

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 12:02:34 »
the japanese layout looks great, except the few dead keys i'd have from using it with an english layout

Offline spiritistz

• Daily Driver: RF 87U 55g
    • http://bgm.tv/
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 12:09:04 »
It depends, if you are a gamer this maybe not for you, it is compact but meanwhile you can only register F row/arrow key etc. by using the function key. so it's not for gaming, or any other entertainment.

But if you are a typist and programmer, try it and it won't let you down.
Filco NINJA Brown Switch for sale.