Author Topic: Matias Tactile Pro 3.0  (Read 25010 times)

Offline CX23882

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« on: Sat, 26 September 2009, 09:43:32 »
Is anyone else looking forward to the Tactile Pro 3.0?

There isn't much information about it on their website, so I hope it isn't going to be vapourware, but if it's anything like the TP 2.0, it could well be a fantastic keyboard, assuming that they don't screw something up controller-wise. If they release an ISO version, it could be perfect.

Recently, I've found having volume controls on the keyboard to be pretty useful, especially when using separate speakers and subwoofer (necessitating the use of the Windows master volume). "Use the mouse", you say? Fine, but you can't do that whilst in the middle of a game.

Offline Rajagra

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 September 2009, 10:25:02 »
Wait ... the TP2 had HHKB-like functionality!? :O

Wouldn't it be great if the TP3 made the most of that by shrinking the size.
I know, not what they are aiming at, but a nice thought.

Offline hyperlinked

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 September 2009, 11:49:45 »
Quote from: Rajagra;120726
Wait ... the TP2 had HHKB-like functionality!? :O

Wouldn't it be great if the TP3 made the most of that by shrinking the size.
I know, not what they are aiming at, but a nice thought.

I'm awaiting word on the TP3 too, but not for some Smurfified version. ;)

I've been waiting for a long time for the TP3. I'm a fan of the optimizer features on Matias keyboards and own a Matias Optimizer keyboard but found the build quality really lacking. The numerous negative reviews of the TP2 scared me away from every trying it and I'm just praying that they get the TP3 right because as much as I find keyboards fascinating, I really just want to own one keyboard.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline wellington1869

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 September 2009, 12:07:29 »
Quote from: CX23882;120719
Is anyone else looking forward to the Tactile Pro 3.0?

Yes!

I'm waiting patiently. Someone mentioned that they had contacted company recently and were told its coming out in a matter of weeks. But then they've said this before apparently.  The website says Fall '09.

I'm waiting patiently and hoping that a) they have fukkas like the tp2; b) they dont muck up the controller.

If they do a and b, then I'll probably buy one since I want a full-size (with numpad) fukka board (the ask-6600 and the absm1 were nice but the former has a tiny backspace (I'd prefer regular) and the latter has a transposing problem).

If I buy a tp3 then my filco fukka zero will go on sale, lol.

If they muck up the tp3, I'll be looking to buy a filco brown/blue controller board, lol.

Either way I'm going to get a working fukka board finally for my collection, dammit! ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline patrickgeekhack

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 10:19:37 »
Quote from: CX23882;120719

Recently, I've found having volume controls on the keyboard to be pretty useful, especially when using separate speakers and subwoofer (necessitating the use of the Windows master volume). "Use the mouse", you say? Fine, but you can't do that whilst in the middle of a game.

Volume buttons are the only buttons I missed on my mechanical keyboards. I don't care much for the others.

Offline mech

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 10:24:29 »
Personally I like running line-out to an audio system, and having a volume knob somewhere on my desk.  Something like this is handy.

BS: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989) & Lexmark-made IBM Model M from 1991
Cherry MX Blue: Das Keyboard II/G80
Black ALPS: Dell AT101W (2)

Offline itlnstln

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 10:30:37 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;121431
Volume buttons are the only buttons I missed on my mechanical keyboards. I don't care much for the others.

I miss those, too. The Phaethon and Strongman keyboards have them. I wish Diatec would add those to the Filco.  I actually like how Dell keyboards have a volume knob, too.  I would like a volume knob and a mute button.  The mute button comes in very handy at times.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2009, 10:34:24 by itlnstln »

Offline hyperlinked

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 10:33:37 »
It appears the mercurial Tactile Pro is getting pushed back again despite the rumors of an imminent release. The release horizon has since been changed to Autumn 2009 to Autumn 2009/Winter 2009.

I suppose they can then argue that February 2010 is technically a continuation of Winter 2009 when they finally do release it. ;)

http://matias.ca/tactilepro2/index.php
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline itlnstln

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 10:43:31 »
This was the one I was thinking of. These are what we used to get at work. Now, we're getting a new, scissor switch 'board that's actually kinda nice. The switches on the new 'boards are crisp and light. Nothing that would make me switch, but I was pretty suprised. Maybe one day, manufacturers will start making good keyboards again... right.

Offline mech

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 12:00:01 »
Quote from: itlnstln;121441
This was the one I was thinking of.

That's the keyboard I was using while my 'e' key was repeating.  It was horrific to type on.

Offline itlnstln

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 12:01:19 »
Quote from: mech;121455
That's the keyboard I was using while my 'e' key was repeating. It was horrific to type on.

It's not the greatest keyboard in the world, but I like its volume control.

Offline mech

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 12:09:33 »
My volume knob isn't on the keyboard, but it's close enough.  I'd rather use a mechanical keyboard and use something else for that task.  Besides, I've had bad luck getting everything integrated with extra keyboard hotkeys.  I usually have no patience to run special hotkey drivers or anything like that.

* Picture not of my own equipment, found it in Google search.

Offline itlnstln

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 12:24:14 »
Quote from: mech;121458
My volume knob isn't on the keyboard, but it's close enough. I'd rather use a mechanical keyboard and use something else for that task. Besides, I've had bad luck getting everything integrated with extra keyboard hotkeys. I usually have no patience to run special hotkey drivers or anything like that.

* Picture not of my own equipment, found it in Google search.

Agreed, and at home, where I have a better audio system, this is certainly the case.  At work, I generally use headphones, so external controls are definitely handy.

On another note, I have never had trouble getting at least the basic multimedia functions to work (in Windows, anyway), but I do know what you're talking about, though, in terms of some of the other hotkeys.  Half of my hotkeys never worked on a Logitech 'board I had, because I never installed the software.  The volume and play/pause/etc. buttons worked fine.

Offline mech

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 13:45:51 »
It's hit or miss for me.  If I use Windows Media Player, they work... but not in Foobar (I could probably customize, but I don't care that much).  I have an Onkyo SE-U55X at work for a convenient headphone jack + volume knob connected to my Yamaha amp. (The amp is a new addition, and not strictly necessary.)  I would recommend that Xonar U1 for work - very convenient.  Push-button mute/unmute, big volume knob, stick it anywhere that's convenient.  Caveat: I don't own one.  But theoretically, just about any external USB sound card would be a great way to bypass noisy, low-quality headphone circuits on motherboard audio chipsets or crappy powered speakers -- if you care about that stuff.  I try not to get any equipment with less than ~90 dB SNR.

Offline CX23882

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 15:12:32 »
I've been playing with AutoHotKey. I know that it can do a lot of fancy things, but I'm just using it for something nice and simple:

Scroll Lock = Volume Down
Pause/Break = Volume Up
Winkey + Scroll Lock = Volume Mute

I've put off trying AHK because of potential conflicts, but I see that Shift + Scroll Lock still works to enable/disable Scroll Lock, and Winkey + Pause/Break and Ctrl + Pause/Break still do what they originally did. I can't think of a single time I've used the Pause/Break key by itself.

I wanted to do Scroll Lock + Pause/Break to be Mute, but it stopped the holding down functions for Vol Up/Down from working. Any ideas?

Code: [Select]
ScrollLock:: Send {Volume_Down}
Pause:: Send {Volume_Up}
[b]Pause & ScrollLock:: Send {Volume_Mute}[/b]
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2009, 15:14:47 by CX23882 »

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 15:24:14 »
Quote from: CX23882;121496
I've been playing with AutoHotKey. I know that it can do a lot of fancy things, but I'm just using it for something nice and simple:

Scroll Lock = Volume Down
Pause/Break = Volume Up
Winkey + Scroll Lock = Volume Mute

I've put off trying AHK because of potential conflicts, but I see that Shift + Scroll Lock still works to enable/disable Scroll Lock, and Winkey + Pause/Break and Ctrl + Pause/Break still do what they originally did. I can't think of a single time I've used the Pause/Break key by itself.

I wanted to do Scroll Lock + Pause/Break to be Mute, but it stopped the holding down functions for Vol Up/Down from working. Any ideas?

ScrollLock:: Send {Volume_Down}
Pause:: Send {Volume_Up}
[b]Pause & ScrollLock:: Send {Volume_Mute}[/b]

Mine seems to do what you want:

#NumpadAdd::SoundSet +5         ;Master volume up 5%
#NumpadSub::SoundSet -5         ;Master volume down 5%
#NumpadMult::SoundSet,+1,,mute   ;Toggle master mute

Of course my keys are different, but the effect works:)

Offline hyperlinked

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 September 2009, 14:31:26 »
Well, the email that I've been waiting for the past year and a half finally arrived.

I was joking in my earlier post in which I said Matias moved their delivery timeframe to Autumn/Winter 2009 so they could argue that the first months of 2010 was technically part of Winter 2009, but it appears they're indeed not going to have the TP3 until Jan 2010.

Here's the email I got:

The wait is almost over and we appreciate your patience! Matias has begun
the first production run of our new Tactile Pro Keyboard.

The keyboard features include:
• Option key characters laser-etched on each key, for easy reference when
typing special symbols and no fading
• Caps Lock Key in the traditional location, with Caps Lock Light
• Volume Control Keys & CD Eject Key
• One cable to connect the keyboard to the computer
• 3 USB 2.0 ports: one located at the extreme left and right of the
keyboard, plus a third one at the back of the keyboard
• Premium quality Alps mechanical key switches, for maximum comfort & speed

We anticipate the first stock of keyboards to arrive early January 2010
and are accepting pre-orders for North American clients via our head
office in Canada. You can fax your credit card and shipping info to us at
1-905-265-8744.

Pre-orders will be billed in Canadian funds at time of fax receipt. The
price is US$149.95 plus US$10.00 shipping and will be converted at the
XE.COM exchange rate on the day of the transaction so your credit card
bill may be slightly over or under US$159.95.
Alternatively, you can mail us a US Dollar cheque for US$159.95 to: Matias
Corporation, 221 Narinia Crescent, Newmarket, ON, L3X 2E1, Canada.

Note: Ontario residents please add 8% PST and 5% GST.
Residents of other provinces in Canada please add only GST or HST to the
cost of your order.

A notice will be posted on our web site once shipping has begun. The
Tactile Pro will be available through our online store if there is any
stock left after pre-orders are fulfilled. However, we have approximately
2,000 people on our Tactile Pro waiting list, and due to production
constraints our first production run is only 1,250 keyboards. We will
fulfill purchases in the order in which they are received. If you miss the
first production run, our second production run will likely be in March

Thanks again for your patience, and we look forward to providing you with
our best Tactile Pro Keyboard yet!

As much as I want to get one, I think I'm going to sit on the sidelines until at least the second batch to ensure that this keyboard is everything they say it is.
-

Offline wellington1869

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 September 2009, 14:38:03 »
hey thanks for the info. I was on the mailing list too but havent seen any email yet.

As much as I want to get one, I think I'm going to sit on the sidelines until at least the second batch to ensure that this keyboard is everything they say it is.

same here, especially since it'll be $159 shipped. I might even just wait for some second hand boards to eventually appear on ebay. But I'm glad its coming out. Hope they're fukkas. Hope the controller is decent.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline itlnstln

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 September 2009, 14:41:29 »
$160 is a little steep for an Alps (well, any) keyboard.  It looks like it'll have some good features, though.

Offline wellington1869

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 September 2009, 14:49:13 »
Besides I dont want to be a guinea pig any more with new boards ;)  Way too much trouble. I'll wait for someone else to dive in and test ;)

I'll stick with golden oldies until then. Like rdjack's maxi switch m13 that I just bought ;)

Offline d4rkst4r

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 September 2009, 17:56:15 »
Quote from: itlnstln;121793
$160 is a little steep for an Alps (well, any) keyboard.  It looks like it'll have some good features, though.

It better have dampeners at that price. I don't see any compelling features. Volume controls, ok, eject, meh, usb ports, meh, one cable, meh, noisy modern alps, ugh.

The modern alps variations (Fukkas, XMs) all seem to have the same noise issue. It must be some difference in the shape of the actuator and it seems to be a rattle that happens when the key returns to the top. You can dampen the noise if you keep your fingers on the key tops when they return to the top. I'm just not buying another rattling board - especially at $160.
Italian Red FKB104M/EB · Deck Legend Ice (tactile) · AEKII

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 September 2009, 18:12:18 »
I'd never pay $160 for ANY keyboard. Even an industrial gray model F.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline maxlugar

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 September 2009, 19:14:41 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;121866
I'd never pay $160 for ANY keyboard. Even an industrial gray model F.

webwit, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the Model F (83 or 84 key) was every produced in industrial gray/green.  Ive scoured the globe for 84-key Model Fs and have only seen them in standard IBM boring beige.

Very early Model M's and Model M's from the mid 1990's came in industrial gray/green.
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline maxlugar

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 September 2009, 19:20:29 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;121787

How can they be genuine ALPS key switches if ALPS no longer manufactures computer key switches?

They would have to be Fukka key switches - Welly's wet dream come true (and a competent controller and firmware)
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline hyperlinked

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 September 2009, 20:10:57 »
Quote from: d4rkst4r;121860
It better have dampeners at that price. I don't see any compelling features.

I'm holding out hope. One of their original aims with their Tactile Pro line was to be the modern version of the classic AEK keyboards.
-

Offline wellington1869

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 September 2009, 20:56:13 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;121906
I'm holding out hope. One of their original aims with their Tactile Pro line was to be the modern version of the classic AEK keyboards.

now that would be interesting. dampeners without having to void the warranty. nice. fingers crossed.

Offline o2dazone

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 September 2009, 21:25:46 »
I have nothing to contribute to the original thread, but if you can snag one of these for cheap

They're pretty awesome. Especially at rolling through open applications

Offline BucklingSpring

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 16:39:36 »
I'm also in the lineup for a TP 3.0.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline d4rkst4r

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 16:51:34 »
Quote from: o2dazone;121926
I have nothing to contribute to the original thread, but if you can snag one of these for cheap

Show Image

They're pretty awesome. Especially at rolling through open applications

Actually, it is relevant to the thread. These are great when you need that volume control and your keyboard lacks one. You don't need to buy that TP3 after all. :biggrin:

Offline wellington1869

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 17:04:08 »
i had one of those. Griffin, right? It was sweet, tho pricey. I eventually sold it tho when autohotkey gave me custom volume control.

I'm surprised no one has made a combined 'desktop volume control" plus "desktop speaker power switch".  That would be handy for external speakers that dont come with a wired remote.

I currently have a footswitch to turn my speakers on/off (they're way behind my monitor on my desk):
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-09493-Christmas-Extension/dp/B00004SQHU/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1254607227&sr=8-12

Would be nice to integrate foot-controlled volume too ;) Maybe a pedal ;)

Offline Rajagra

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 17:19:53 »
Real volume controls are absolute, not relative. Anything that works in volume up/down increments is a poor substitute for a control you can spin instantly and continuously to the level you want.

I bet there's an entire generation growing up who've never even laid hands on a proper volume control.

Offline d4rkst4r

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 17:54:37 »
Quote from: wellington1869;122689

I'm surprised no one has made a combined 'desktop volume control" plus "desktop speaker power switch".  That would be handy for external speakers that dont come with a wired remote.

You could use a mixer for this. Or one of these.

Offline CX23882

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 04 October 2009, 02:17:51 »
Quote from: Rajagra;122696
Real volume controls are absolute, not relative. Anything that works in volume up/down increments is a poor substitute for a control you can spin instantly and continuously to the level you want.

I bet there's an entire generation growing up who've never even laid hands on a proper volume control.
I agree with you on this. These days it seems like a lot of rotary volume knobs are just in front of a digital mixer with fixed steps. I've seen some good implementations of this which try to take into account how quickly you spin it, and a lot of bad ones which are completely linear. Even for the good ones, you still can't spin it round to a particular value. But on the other hand, I've never had a digital volume control go crackly (but I have seen one that was similarly dirty and would drift up or down if set to certain positions).

But on a Windows PC, you're tied to a digital mixer anyway, with fixed 1/100 steps (except for some exotic sound cards), so I don't see it as a problem if the control is stepped. When I'm using the hi-fi, I max the sound card and use the real volume knob on the hi-fi, but with the PC speakers, it's more convenient to use the sound card's mixer. I like the little volume knob on the Dell multimedia keyboard, but I can live with buttons.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2009, 02:19:55 by CX23882 »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 00:36:46 »
I want to see pictures.  How am I supposed to decide if I want one without pictures?
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline wellington1869

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 10:40:23 »
has anyone put in a pre-order? just curious.

Offline texteur

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 12:08:30 »
Quote from: wellington1869;120748

I'm waiting patiently. Someone mentioned that they had contacted company recently and were told its coming out in a matter of weeks. But then they've said this before apparently.  The website says Fall '09.

Hi everybody,

What I've just received in my mailbox :

Matias has begun

You can view images of the new keyboard at: http://matias.ca/tactilepro3
We have not released these photos to the public yet!

1-905-265-8744.

cost of your order.

IBM Model M Space Saver, 1391472, PS/2, US layout, year 1987 | Apple Standard Keyboard, M0118, ADB, Swiss French layout, year 1987 | IBM Model M, 1391401, PS/2, US layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M Space Saver, 1392934, PS/2, US layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M, 1391403, PS/2, German layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M, 1391403, PS/2, German layout, year 1991 | Apple Extended Keyboard II, M3501, ADB, ANSI layout, year 1995 | DSI Switch Mac Keyboard, SMK-88SMK88-EM/JM, Black Cherry Switches, USB 1.1 & 2.0, ANSI layout, year 2006 | Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, white with blank keycaps, PD-KB400WN, Topre 45g switches, USB, UNIX key layout, year 2007 | Das Keyboard Ultimate, DASK3, USB, European layout, year 2008 | Topre Realforce 86U, SE0500, USB, ANSI layout, ergonomically weighted switches, year 2009 | Topre Realforce 87UB, SE1700, USB, ANSI layout, ergonomically weighted switches, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch "Otaku", FKBN104MC/NPEK, Blue Cherry MX switches, USB, ANSI layout, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch, FKBN87M/EB, Brown Cherry MX Switches, USB, 87 Key ANSI layout, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch Ten Key Extended Keypad, FKB22MB, Brown Cherry MX Switches, USB, year 2009
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Offline hyperlinked

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 12:51:55 »
Hmm, they updated their email! the version I got didn't have a link to the photos. Thems the hazards of being the first to know.

Anyway, it looks enticing, but for one thing.

What happened to thei #*^&$@^ Optimizer Key!?!?! That was what I was waiting for! I wanted a keyboard with a killer feel and their optimized key mapping built in. I have a program that maps keys, but I can't get every single shortcut that they've programmed and I can't get my faux-optimized key map to work in every interface.

I hope there's a Windows version of this without a Caps Lock. :(
-

Offline wellington1869

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 13:21:51 »
I just got their email - complete with links to photos!!

WIthout further ado: photos

[update: d'oh, texteur beat me to it]

The full email ran thusly:

Dear xxx,

The wait is almost over and we appreciate your patience! Matias has begun

You can view images of the new keyboard at: http://matias.ca/tactilepro3
We have not released these photos to the public yet!

Whoops, they're public now!

1-905-265-8744.

cost of your order.

Best Regards,

etc etc

My first impression - I like it! :)  But personally I need them to be fukkas and I need a non-transposing controller :) Fingers crossed...
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2009, 14:07:38 by wellington1869 »

Offline texteur

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 13:28:05 »
Another thing: why don't they update the design? If those keyboards are built to match with new Macs, they could have used aluminium and black plastic. Why do they still use an five-years-old design (translucent plastic and white keys, somehow like the A1048)?
IBM Model M Space Saver, 1391472, PS/2, US layout, year 1987 | Apple Standard Keyboard, M0118, ADB, Swiss French layout, year 1987 | IBM Model M, 1391401, PS/2, US layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M Space Saver, 1392934, PS/2, US layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M, 1391403, PS/2, German layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M, 1391403, PS/2, German layout, year 1991 | Apple Extended Keyboard II, M3501, ADB, ANSI layout, year 1995 | DSI Switch Mac Keyboard, SMK-88SMK88-EM/JM, Black Cherry Switches, USB 1.1 & 2.0, ANSI layout, year 2006 | Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, white with blank keycaps, PD-KB400WN, Topre 45g switches, USB, UNIX key layout, year 2007 | Das Keyboard Ultimate, DASK3, USB, European layout, year 2008 | Topre Realforce 86U, SE0500, USB, ANSI layout, ergonomically weighted switches, year 2009 | Topre Realforce 87UB, SE1700, USB, ANSI layout, ergonomically weighted switches, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch "Otaku", FKBN104MC/NPEK, Blue Cherry MX switches, USB, ANSI layout, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch, FKBN87M/EB, Brown Cherry MX Switches, USB, 87 Key ANSI layout, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch Ten Key Extended Keypad, FKB22MB, Brown Cherry MX Switches, USB, year 2009
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Offline texteur

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 14:11:49 »
...and certainly $50 more for the shipping to Europe. Pretty expensive.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Offline wellington1869

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 14:16:40 »
I'll prolly wait for second hand versions to start showing up before I try it (and by then there will have been plenty of guniea pigs ahead of me ;)

Offline BucklingSpring

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 17:17:39 »
Quote from: texteur;123169
...and certainly $50 more for the shipping to Europe. Pretty expensive.

For once I'm happy to be in Canada. Close to Matias' HQ.

Got the notification email as well.

Woooohoooo.

/*****
1-905-265-8744.
*****/

Sure no problem here's my credit card number: 1452-2154-2165-5778 exp 10-3124
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2009, 17:30:32 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline wellington1869

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 17:37:25 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;123225

Sure no problem here's my credit card number: 1452-2154-2165-5778 exp 10-3124

on my way to the L.L.Bean catalog...
Dang.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 18:01:43 »
The lettering looks really sharp :)
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline BucklingSpring

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 18:13:07 »
Quote from: timw4mail;123241
The lettering looks really sharp :)

Yeah but not sure I like the numpad design.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2009, 18:18:02 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline wellington1869

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 18:35:35 »
I want it badly but I need more info and i need to wait for used-board prices. ugh. So prolly will be 12 months before i have one.  Whoever gets one pls get a review up here asap ;)

Offline hyperlinked

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 19:01:43 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;123246
Yeah but not sure I like the numpad design.

Yeah too many numbers. What ever happened to good ol' 4 key numpads?
-

Offline wellington1869

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 19:17:50 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;123253
Yeah too many numbers. What ever happened to good ol' 4 key numpads?

xD

Offline mech

Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 19:34:54 »
That numpad layout would definitely mess me up.  I use my numpad *all* the time, without looking too.  Still, a handsome keyboard.

The USB hub has the B-style port on it - it would be nice if high-end keyboards would have a female plug instead of the cable sticking directly out. 1.) inadvertent yanks, 2.) portability. 3.) (crudely) adjustable cable lengths.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Matias Tactile Pro 3.0
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 19:41:41 »
You know, that's the way the AEKII has the numpad. That's probably why it's not more like the traditional IBM numpad.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)