Author Topic: Model F = Goodbye model M?  (Read 16660 times)

Offline Entropia

Re: Model F = Goodbye model M?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 07:16:29 »
Is the F77 already being sold or does he just take orders?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 08:14:32 »
I'm not really a fan of either the M or the F...  :-X
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 08:19:06 »
Sorbothane is probably too thick.

The floss mod makes the F just right - I consider it a standard component of an F refurbishment.

Sorbothane does come in different thicknesses.  I'm not sure how thick that layer is supposed to be, though.  I haven't opened my XT up yet.

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 09:44:04 »
Is the F77 already being sold or does he just take orders?

He is just taking orders. I have one for an F62. Can’t wait! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 09:50:46 »
Sorbothane is probably too thick.

The floss mod makes the F just right - I consider it a standard component of an F refurbishment.

I will try doing the Floss Mod. Do you recommend any product/brand of dental floss in particular, fohats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 12:32:40 »
This has worked well for me, if you are in the US:
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 13:42:28 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 14:10:43 »
Thanks a lot man! I will try to source that dental floss somehow (I am not US-based).

I see you have the flipper completely outside the keyboard in that latest picture. Is it necessary to completely disassemble the keyboard in order to do the mod? Or would just taking out the keycaps be enough?

I have completely opened up my F before so not afraid of that, but I'd like to know if I can save myself some work (a whole disassembly is quite time-consuming, lol).

Thanks again!

Offline hking0036

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 15:53:19 »
Thanks a lot man! I will try to source that dental floss somehow (I am not US-based).

I see you have the flipper completely outside the keyboard in that latest picture. Is it necessary to completely disassemble the keyboard in order to do the mod? Or would just taking out the keycaps be enough?

I have completely opened up my F before so not afraid of that, but I'd like to know if I can save myself some work (a whole disassembly is quite time-consuming, lol).

Thanks again!

You can do it just pulling the keycaps off. I really like the ping though, it's half the fun of the thing.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 10:05:46 »

Offline mmontess

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 23:42:43 »
My curiosity has been piqued. Commence ebay model f bidding wars  :cool:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 09:14:28 »
Beamspring = Goodbye model F?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 11:57:10 »
Beamspring = Goodbye model F?

For me, there are 2 deal-killers for beamsprings:

1. All the layouts are bad, some much worse than others.
2. The height (thickness, whatever you want to call it) is abominable. Most of use use desks that keep our hand too high already.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 12:01:26 »
3. Price and availability.  I recently saw one on eBay (seeing them at all is rare to begin with) and bid on it but in the end it went for about $1000....

Offline Wobbled

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 20:52:35 »
I always end up going back to my SSK simply because I can still appreciate how great membrane buckling springs are.
My only Model F now is a 4704 107 key which I absolutely love, but the layout is a real pain to use due to how wide the keyboard is. Even an F77 isn't perfect.
Beamsprings are even more stupid in terms of their layouts and the height of the board & the keycaps. I find them very difficult to type fast on.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 22:16:18 »
4. On top of the first three listed deal-breakers, I would imagine that beamspring boards would also have the drawback, due to their age, of being even more difficult to interface with a modern machine.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 23:57:26 »
4. On top of the first three listed deal-breakers, I would imagine that beamspring boards would also have the drawback, due to their age, of being even more difficult to interface with a modern machine.

Actually that much isn't really true since the controller was easily removable in the original design and there are after-market controllers you can get to talk straight to USB.  There is some set up and calibration involved though.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 13:11:26 »
I want a couple extra F62 PCBs from Ellipse, get some new beamspring plates cut, access to a break for the 90* edges and harvest some switches to make new a B62.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 11:51:14 »

Thanks again!

If you can't source the dental floss locally (I am US. Based and can't find it locally) use the code strands from paracord. Just make sure to use very sharp scissors to cut it and keep from fraying.

I have a video about it in YouTube of you want me to post it.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich