geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Board Games

(1/3) > >>

phinix:
I wonder how many of you here play board games?
I thought I would start my board games thread here (if not had one already).

These are the games I own:

* Everdell
* Castles of Burgundy
* Catan
* Stone Age
* Ticket to Ride
Also don't own there but played at friends' house:

* Wingspan
* Imhotep
For me (and my missus) best one is Everdell, which we just have purchased. This is most beautifully made one we have seen, amazing make, also, great scenario and story. Gameplay is great too, lots of cards which adds to its "randomness".
Second best for us would be Castles of Burgundy, then Catan and Stone Age.

What board games do you have?
Which is your favourite one?
Which one you would like to have in your collection, or waiting to be released?

TomahawkLabs:

--- Quote from: phinix on Tue, 12 March 2024, 06:24:23 ---I wonder how many of you here play board games?
I thought I would start my board games thread here (if not had one already).

These are the games I own:

* Everdell
* Castles of Burgundy
* Catan
* Stone Age
* Ticket to Ride
Also don't own there but played at friends' house:

* Wingspan
* Imhotep
For me (and my missus) best one is Everdell, which we just have purchased. This is most beautifully made one we have seen, amazing make, also, great scenario and story. Gameplay is great too, lots of cards which adds to its "randomness".
Second best for us would be Castles of Burgundy, then Catan and Stone Age.

What board games do you have?
Which is your favourite one?
Which one you would like to have in your collection, or waiting to be released?

--- End quote ---

My old roommate was super into board games. Catan was a mainstay, but we also really enjoyed Cosmic Encounters. More or less multiplayer "war" and the rules are designed to be broken via the specific races so every game is unique. The Firefly board game based on the show was also another fun game, but there is an advantage to those who have played before.

Currently, my kids like playing Exploding Kittens and Uno.

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: TomahawkLabs on Tue, 12 March 2024, 08:29:21 ---
we also really enjoyed Cosmic Encounters.

--- End quote ---

I haven't played board games in years (decades) but really enjoyed Cosmic Encounters back in the late-1970s!

That was probably my favorite game ever. I understand that it has evolved considerably as a cult item over the years.

noisyturtle:
I used to play a lot of Small World, Citadels, and Catan back in college.
Never liked Catan though, I always found it wildly unbalanced.

I have Wingspan on PC via Steam and love that game, although I nearly always get destroyed playing online.

TomahawkLabs:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Tue, 12 March 2024, 15:15:04 ---I used to play a lot of Small World, Citadels, and Catan back in college.
Never liked Catan though, I always found it wildly unbalanced.

I have Wingspan on PC via Steam and love that game, although I nearly always get destroyed playing online.

--- End quote ---

Whoever picks locations first so often has an unfair advantage. The way my friends and I played was resource and dice role tokens were randomly placed upside down on the map. Each player picks a dock/port to start from and you have to work your way inland. every game so super unique because you could get stuck with all of say brick on your side of the map so it forces trades more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version