Author Topic: Spyder X,  (Read 4659 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Spyder X,
« on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 11:29:37 »
216837-0

So, they put an X in the name..

The new spyderX probe from datacolor is their long awaited refresh to the older Spyder5 line from 2015.

It's got a new cool looking lens and fast-read rate. Unfortunately, This probe still under-performs the x-rite i1d3 (from 2016).

It's confusing that they could release a newer product, KNOWING the competition, and undershoot it.

There's really nothing that goes into these little probes that limits Bill of Material, there's so little -stuff- that's required in cranking them out, and at the retail price of $170 a pop, wth happened.

The i1D3 can repeatably measure very stable 4000-5000:1 contrast ratio displays, it might do 20,000:1 according to some people, but I've not seen too many verifications of this. It can do IPS, VA, TN no problem.  Nothing consumer side can truly measure OLED, but i1D3 does a good enough job.

Whereas this new spyderX will bounce between 2000:1 and 3000:1  depending on how warmed-up it is.

This translates to poor repeatability, and variable color temperature/ tonemapping.  The dark colors near black are just as much trouble for this new probe as the older spyder5.

Shadow detail had been the biggest drawback on the Spyder5, which routinely created deadzones if the display ran brightness lower than 100-120cd. The SpyderX isn't doing that anymore, but it's still reading the blacks wrong.

Offline fanpeople

Re: Spyder X,
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 01:31:43 »
WTF is that for? Panning cam girl cinematography action shots?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 02:42:59 »
WTF is that for? Panning cam girl cinematography action shots?

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 05:32:45 »
Still using the Spyder5 Pro I bought 4 years ago. Not that bad for a hobbyist.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 06:12:56 »
You must do a literal ton of production work to spend so much time analyzing color calibration equipment.  Good golly.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 09:43:09 »
You must do a literal ton of production work to spend so much time analyzing color calibration equipment.  Good golly.

According to Xpert colorist -Fanpeeps-,  Dem' Cam grils need proper Picture quality for best coin rate.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 10:25:31 »

According to Xpert colorist -Fanpeeps-,  Dem' Cam grils need proper Picture quality for best coin rate.

Well it's your business if you want to stick cameras on grills.  I guess you'd need a pretty robust and hardy system for that kind of videography.

Hope you don't throw the food out though.  I can't watch like 95% of cooking shows because they don't even eat the damn food.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 12:06:43 »

Well it's your business if you want to stick cameras on grills.  I guess you'd need a pretty robust and hardy system for that kind of videography.

Hope you don't throw the food out though.  I can't watch like 95% of cooking shows because they don't even eat the damn food.

Hrrrm...  Cooking shows that segway into Mukbang ?  That'd take too long though, I think people watch mukbang and/or cooking shows while they eat.

So, if they watch the cooking part, they'll probably be done with their meal come the mukbang segment.

Also, the audience wants to watch skinny girls do mukbang,  while watching phat women cook. 

That seems to be the dichotomy.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 13:00:10 »
iunno.  But that's ok, once again I blame MTV for my distaste for reality tv shows.  They took 'way me music vidas right when my family jumped on the cable bandwagonz.

Anyway, what do you use all you calibration equipment for anyway?  Or should I even ask?  If I shouldn't have asked then please don't answer.. :confused:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 18:01:36 »

Relax Aerizu, We're not Judging you.. hahahahahaha

You're not missing out on anything if you use the Spyder5 within its correct hardware limitations.

The spyder5 is hardware limited to measure down to ~0.4cd,  it has further soft correction in place to get down to 0.25cd

If you attempt to measure anything below 0.25cd, you get Black deadzones.

So   KNOWING the real contrast ratio (supplied by the manufacturer of your monitor).  You just multiply that BY 0.25  to get your MINIMUM reliable calibration brightness.

For example.  Most IPS has ~800:1 contrast ratio.  You'd multiply 800 by 0.25,  That is 200cd

This is approximately the most reliable brightness you can go down to.

If 200 cd is too bright, you can reasonably go down to 120-150, but This is not going to produce accurate colors near black, and MAY lead to deadzones + black crush / clipping.

This would limit the Spyder 5 from calibrating panels with Low black levels such as CRT/OLED/Plasma/ high contrast VA-panel

For IPS/ TN /VA , as long as they're set 0.25cd black and ABOVE, they should calibrate fine, but if they're set low, then the Spyder5 won't do a good job.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 18:02:43 »
iunno.  But that's ok, once again I blame MTV for my distaste for reality tv shows.  They took 'way me music vidas right when my family jumped on the cable bandwagonz.

Anyway, what do you use all you calibration equipment for anyway?  Or should I even ask?  If I shouldn't have asked then please don't answer.. :confused:

216941-0

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 18:24:53 »
just googled mukbang, not quite what I was expecting.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 18:43:39 »

It's 9am straya,  fanpeeps,  you're off to an early..

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 19:26:42 »

It's 9am straya,  fanpeeps,  you're off to an early..

yeah but its second Saturday for me. So really it is party time.

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 20:54:18 »

Relax Aerizu, We're not Judging you.. hahahahahaha

You're not missing out on anything if you use the Spyder5 within its correct hardware limitations.

The spyder5 is hardware limited to measure down to ~0.4cd,  it has further soft correction in place to get down to 0.25cd

If you attempt to measure anything below 0.25cd, you get Black deadzones.

So   KNOWING the real contrast ratio (supplied by the manufacturer of your monitor).  You just multiply that BY 0.25  to get your MINIMUM reliable calibration brightness.

For example.  Most IPS has ~800:1 contrast ratio.  You'd multiply 800 by 0.25,  That is 200cd

This is approximately the most reliable brightness you can go down to.

If 200 cd is too bright, you can reasonably go down to 120-150, but This is not going to produce accurate colors near black, and MAY lead to deadzones + black crush / clipping.

This would limit the Spyder 5 from calibrating panels with Low black levels such as CRT/OLED/Plasma/ high contrast VA-panel

For IPS/ TN /VA , as long as they're set 0.25cd black and ABOVE, they should calibrate fine, but if they're set low, then the Spyder5 won't do a good job.

mfw my monitor has ~1000:1 ratio, and I calibrate for 180cd  :eek:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:19:15 »

mfw my monitor has ~1000:1 ratio, and I calibrate for 180cd  :eek:

Which monitor is this.