Author Topic: GEEKHACKERS GB: Soldering Accessories  (Read 5467 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
GEEKHACKERS GB: Soldering Accessories
« on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 08:10:54 »
A number of people have expressed interest in the learn to solder kits _without_ the soldering iron. If you're one of those people, this thread is for you!

For reference:

LTS GB R1: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52851.0

LTS GB R2 (in progress): http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54316.0

In this thread, I'll be gathering orders for the following kit:

• 1oz Kester 44 RA 63/37 0.02" diameter on geekhack solder spool
  • 1x Edsyn/GH Soldapullt DS017GH desoldering hand pump with krytox and fluorinated o-ring
  • 1x Edsyn TH107 spool and soldapullt holder
  • 1x Edsyn KP101 flush cutter rivet joint with spring return
  • 1x KP709 long-nose serrated precision pliers with box-joint

Price: 75$ shipped anywhere in the CONUS. Add 10 dollars for Canadian shipping. For other countries, PM me for a shipping quote.

Q: How do I order?
A: Post a response to this thread with "I AM BUYING ONE!" in big letter. I prefer big red letters, but tapatalk has issues with colored text ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 08:32:52 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: GEEKHACKERS GB: Soldering Accessories
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 08:11:00 »
Ordering will be open until 2/21 no more deadline -- i should be able to keep this running for a while. After that I'll place the order with the manufacturer for the TH107s; I believe they have enough stock that there will be no lead time, but if they do need lead time, it shouldn't be more than a week.

Payment is due at order. Shipping of kits will happen as soon as I pick up the order from the manufacturer.

order status:

shrapneL: std kit --- paid! SHIPPED
wildcard: 2x deluxe cutters -- paid! SHIPPED
tadbitnerdy: std kit -- paid! SHIPPED
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 21:04:18 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline JayKthnx

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 08:14:29 »
So jelly for them pliers.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 08:23:04 »
i have access to a very large line of pliers.

Offline JayKthnx

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 08:25:32 »
You should hook me up with a detailed pm brosiah. Glws BTW!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 15:44:12 »
gigantic novel sent.

parts of that novel may end up in this thread.

bottom line: i tend to recommend buying hand tools that will last the rest of your working life with a bit of regular sharpening. starting out on budget tools (and these are pretty good budget tools) is easier on the budget, but once you know you're going to be using a tool a lot, step up to something that makes each job substantially easier.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 16:07:38 »
1x KP709 long-nose serrated precision pliers with box-joint

Just curious of some common uses for those?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 16:16:23 »
Tempting. Is there a limit to the number of orders?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 16:33:25 »
1x KP709 long-nose serrated precision pliers with box-joint

Just curious of some common uses for those?
manipulating device leads (pull through board, straighten them out before clipping, etc.), squishing things together (wire, wire jacket), in a pinch i use my pliers to hold joints in place to get an initial set on tricky joints before i reflow for a really solid joint.

if you only have room or budget for one hand tool, you absolutely have to have a flush cutter (and they are not common anywhere except for electronics). but your second tool should always be a pair of precision pliers, preferably snipe-nose serrated for grip (which the kp709 is).

I took this picture for JayK, but this is my working collection of hand tools:

54469-0

i use every single one of those nearly every day; none of them cost less than 40$/ea, and those are only the ones that have survived. over the years i've owned probably in the dozens of small hand tools. these are the best of them that i've found so far; the flush cutters are mostly carbide and resharpenable swedish made by larsen, the pliers and oval cutter are wiha germany drop forged tool steel with full polish, etc. etc.

small hand tools for the electronics hobbyist are a bit like knives for a chef. you only need a few, but the ones you have have to be absolutely 100% reliable. when you're soldering down that 40$ tfqn-240 IC, you really don't want to make any mistakes.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 16:48:03 »
I'd be interested in some decent pliers. Any recommendations?  :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 16:53:05 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 17:25:03 »
Too bad the pliers didn't come up a few days earlier, I probably would have bought some with all that other stuff :P

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 18:39:49 »
i don't have any pliers in stock, actually, so i probably would have sent it separately anyway.

that said, the reason why i didn't put them in the original kits is because edsyn's inexpensive flush cutters are much better than their inexpensive plier line, and i didn't want to push a 20+$ pair of pliers into a 150$ learn to solder kit :P

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 18:42:16 »
these

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-32742-Pliers-Straight-Serrated/dp/B002R0EI3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392424876&sr=8-1&keywords=wiha+32742

are the short snipe nose serrated pliers pictured above. they are my go-to for 90% of plier-related tasks.

Offline shrapneL

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 19:39:08 »
I AM BUYING ONE!

How's that mkawa?
hello.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 19:41:05 »
Anychance you can sell just

1x Edsyn/GH Soldapullt DS017GH desoldering hand pump with krytox and fluorinated o-ring
and
1x Edsyn KP101 flush cutter rivet joint with spring return
?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 19:52:52 »
I AM BUYING ONE!

How's that mkawa?
a little small, but i'll take it ;)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 18:00:20 »
zeal asked me about my inventory of cutters. i wrote a novel. bwa!

wiha 32705 -- great ergonomics like all the other wiha professional germany line, excellent cut-out box-joint. they have worn well, pretty evenly, but there's a black oxide coating on the cutting face so i don't know how they're going to do after their first sharpening (fwiw i've had them a year and haven't needed to sharpen them). they weren't super expensive though, so good value, but not the best you can buy. supposedly they're drop forged full polish steel, but somehow i have some oxidization on mine. hmm..

wiha thailand Z40 1 03 128 -- waste of money. skip it. i had 4 sets of wiha thailand tools and gave 3 of them away.

larson 915201 -- http://www.edsyn.com/index.php?Mode=piw&pn=KP9152 i love these nippers. first of all, all larson joints are bolt-tightenable, period. second, no coating to make them harder. they are just very hard steel. these are my favorite small wire cutters. tiny head gets into places the bigger heads can't, but they maintain a 1mm max diam cut. full flush and just the right angle to get flush up to pcbs.

larson 9357 -- these are actually my newest. i wanted something in between the gigantor 955 and the tiny 915. they're pointed head and flat on the non-cut side, which is nice for offset snips. same fantastic quality as the rest of my larsons.

larson 955101 -- these were my first larsons and convinced me that wiha thailand was full of crap. these are my favorite snips and were 70 something iirc. they're not listed on the website, so they may be out of stock, but i could swear i saw them still up on display last time i was at edsyn, so i can almost certainly get them for you -- or the 9551 if that is all they have left in stock. they're full flush and i think they're vanadium tool steel (actually i think all the larsons are). they're rated up to 2mm and they cut up to 2mm copper with panash. they've also cut some crazy thick wire i've had around when i was too lazy to get my wiha gigantic hammer anvil cutter out to cut. i've sharpened these at least twice and they're still cutting crazy wire. (note they need to be sharpened with diamond or really fine carbide. micro-mesh and DMT diamond has worked well for me. i start with a roughing at 2-400 grit and end at 8-12k grit on the micro mesh.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 19:21:58 »
also, these orders will go out monday. see the soldering kit rd2 gb for why (edsyn staff and i forgot to check over my order before i left oops!)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 17:46:15 »
packing these up today. they got lost in the flurry of everything being everywhere, but they are quite ready to go.

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 19:46:49 »
I AM BUYING ONE!

Offline shrapneL

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 15:40:54 »
Just got mine! Thanks mkawa! These look awesome :) Definitely going to step my soldering game up!  :thumb:
hello.