Author Topic: Massdrop x Matt3o /dev/tty MT3 Custom Keycap Set  (Read 11827 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Massdrop x Matt3o /dev/tty MT3 Custom Keycap Set
« on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:37:12 »
off me pickle
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:09:54 by digi »

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
Re: Is Massdrop down?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:37:35 »
Works for me.
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:39:14 »
Why you browsing Massdrop?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:39:23 »
Works for me.

Hmm, back up now for me as well. Probably just a quick DDOS.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:39:26 »
I was thinking maybe they blocked digi's IP :p

Edit: Actually its probably all the school kids just getting home and checking on the latest drops.  :))

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:39:47 »
Why you browsing Massdrop?

I have to look at Keycap sets I won't buy.. :D

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:40:29 »
I was thinking maybe they blocked digi's IP :p :))

They'd be blocking the only guy vouching for them! :D

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:41:29 »
I was thinking maybe they blocked digi's IP :))

They'd be blocking the only guy vouching for them! :D
And me

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:42:39 »

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:45:40 »
Someone please talk me out of this set - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-matt3o-devtty-custom-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

You just don't need a classic looking PBT keycap set in an amazing new and hot profile.
... ...

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:46:17 »
Someone please talk me out of this set - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-matt3o-devtty-custom-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

You just don't need a classic looking PBT keycap set in an amazing new and hot profile.

THAT'S NOT WORKING MAD-HIAS :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:46:29 »

It'll be delayed for months, the fonts won't be exactly right, some keycaps won't fit,  then backspace and shift stems will be off at first so they'll have to be redone or not used, the spacebars will all be warped. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

EDIT: I'm just joking...I hope this goes very well but only because Matt3o is involved.   8)
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:48:05 by SpAmRaY »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:50:02 »
only because Matt3o is involved.   8)

^

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:51:55 »
only because Matt3o is involved.   8)

^
Please notice me romevi

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:52:20 »
So my cart is at $140 with the beige mods and CMY Kit and I don't even have a numpad kit yet..

Matt3o, do you have a GEEKHACK17 discount coupon or somefin?? :D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:52:56 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:59:49 »
Pretty cool of Matt3o, he's gonna let others use his new profile for future sets so we could see this same profile in many new (or old) colorways..

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-matt3o-devtty-custom-keycap-set/talk/1653572

"The keycaps profile --unoriginally codenamed MT3-- will be available to anyone to use for future projects on MD. If you have a cool idea for a keycaps set to be released in this profile, just contact me or MD and we'll make your high-profile desires come true (hold on cowboy. not just yet! many moons have to pass yet)."

- Matt3o

Offline TelFiRE

Re: Massdrop x Matt3o /dev/tty MT3 Custom Keycap Set
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 22:41:13 »
Anyone wanna clue me in on all the Massdrop hate around here? I've had a lot of good buys there
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 23:01:23 »
Corporate structure, is all.

That said, I used to buy a lot there too but in the past year I've felt the quality of options has gone down. Usually I see stuff now I could get on AliExpress or Amazon for the same price or cheaper. It used to be Massdrop was the only way to get import certain items and doing it the GB way helped bring down prices quite a bit.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 03:22:56 »
I'll admit to buying there occasionally.
Only if I find something there I haven't encountered other places.

Offline dante

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 09:19:11 »

That said, I used to buy a lot there too but in the past year I've felt the quality of options has gone down. Usually I see stuff now I could get on AliExpress or Amazon for the same price or cheaper. It used to be Massdrop was the only way to get import certain items and doing it the GB way helped bring down prices quite a bit.

MassDrop is a business not a charity.  You can't post unique things 24/7; and in a lot of cases you wouldn't want to because they would compete with items that necessitate a high MOQ to make them a reality.

There are also times when things go south (Triumph Adler GMK, XMIT) where they may not have the resources to constantly belt out new and original buys because they are busy putting out fires.

My only issue with MD isn't with MD themselves but all the chronic whiners that obfuscate valuable information in the product threads with their "OH IT'S SO CHEAP AT ABC GO THERE INSTEAD.  MD FTL!!!"

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 13:11:25 »

MassDrop is a business not a charity.  You can't post unique things 24/7; and in a lot of cases you wouldn't want to because they would compete with items that necessitate a high MOQ to make them a reality.

There are also times when things go south (Triumph Adler GMK, XMIT) where they may not have the resources to constantly belt out new and original buys because they are busy putting out fires.

My only issue with MD isn't with MD themselves but all the chronic whiners that obfuscate valuable information in the product threads with their "OH IT'S SO CHEAP AT ABC GO THERE INSTEAD.  MD FTL!!!"

Exactly this. Same thing goes for GroupBuy leaders, they deserve to make a profit off of each set eg. ~$10 handling fee or something. They're the ones doing all the work to get us something we want. No need to be discrete about it just come out and say what it is....do the damn thang.

Offline zslane

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:46:14 »
Usually I see stuff now I could get on AliExpress or Amazon for the same price or cheaper. It used to be Massdrop was the only way to get import certain items and doing it the GB way helped bring down prices quite a bit.

You can thank the massive economic power of Amazon for that. Amazon saw an opportunity to be an outlet for some of the items you only used to see on MassDrop, and they took it. It's not like MassDrop could stop them. And it's not like MassDrop is going to stop offering them. I mean they could, but they've chosen to continue offering those items despite Amazon's incursion, and it might serve them well down the road if current spikes in popularity fall and Amazon drops out of the picture for some of those items.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 15:25:35 »
MD is a mixed bag and that's okay, as long as you realize it and acknowledge it. Some items are awesome, one-of-a-kind designs with a lot of thought and love behind them.  Take, for instance, Dasher/Dancer, Amazing Chocolatier, and this new set by Matt3o.  But they are mixed in with some really cheap-o stuff that, yes, you can get on Amazon or Aliexpress for the same price or less.  And, my god, some of these cheap items have the WORST descriptions I've seen for products.   It's just a mixed bag, like I said. :)

Of course, i'm a bit peeved with MD since I got 2 defective items (IEM headphones and messed up Vortex keycaps), and I had to get my Whitefox refunded after a 4 month search, after waiting 1/2 a year for it to ship, couldn't find where it had been shipped to :)

Oh,and the comment system is hell on earth.  anyone ever tried to edit a comment in a long reply chain.  Kill me now.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 06:26:32 »
MD is a mixed bag and that's okay, as long as you realize it and acknowledge it. Some items are awesome, one-of-a-kind designs with a lot of thought and love behind them.  Take, for instance, Dasher/Dancer, Amazing Chocolatier, and this new set by Matt3o.  But they are mixed in with some really cheap-o stuff that, yes, you can get on Amazon or Aliexpress for the same price or less.  And, my god, some of these cheap items have the WORST descriptions I've seen for products.   It's just a mixed bag, like I said. :)

MassDrop tries too hard to cater to EVERYBODY.  This includes penniless kids, mooching off their parents when trying to buy the cheaper stuff but also supplying the First Grade stuff from the likes of GMK, SP and now the new MT3 range.

Just glad at least we all know which ones to go for here  8) .

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 06:35:31 »
The majority of Massdrop is Collective Bad decision making..

So, one of ur buddies wants to buy something totally useless and overpriced..  then it takes to social media, and everybody joins in on the silly thing..

I will forever be greatful to massdrop for the Ergodox buy..  But everything else they got is rubbish

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 17:13:52 »
Gimme reasons to buy this set. GIMME. What's so darn special about them? Really?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 21:42:10 »
Gimme reasons to buy this set. GIMME. What's so darn special about them? Really?
Like SA and other high profile spherical keycap types, this set is destined to be incredibly aesthetic.

The disadvantage to all current MX sets of this type is that they're extremely uncomfortable to type on, as the profiles were not made specifically for MX. They were copy-pasted from beamspring/other profiles without any consideration for the differences in how keycaps are mounted on MX and beamspring.

The profile of this set went through heavy consideration. As a result, it is the only high profile, spherical MX keycap type that won't break your fingers, while remaining beautiful.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 22:10:58 »
The profile of this set went through heavy consideration. As a result, it is the only high profile, spherical MX keycap type that won't break your fingers, while remaining beautiful.

Break your fingers....what the hell...... ?

The only way I could break any of my own fingers, is getting either of them jammed inside a Gearbox casing at work, whilst the gearbox is still connected to a functioning engine.

NO keyboard can ever break any of my fingers it's usually the other way around, my fingers can usually break the switches, casing and frame especially when I get pissed at something.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 April 2017, 22:12:52 by Elrick »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 22:22:04 »

The only way I could break any of my own fingers, is getting either of them jammed inside a Gearbox casing at work, whilst the gearbox is still connected to a functioning engine.

NO keyboard can ever break any of my fingers it's usually the other way around, my fingers can usually break the switches, casing and frame especially when I get pissed at something.
I didn't mean it literally. If you want literal :

As a result, it is the only high profile, spherical MX keycap type that is actually comfortable to type on, while remaining beautiful.

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline anantonton

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 08:52:21 »

As a result, it is the only high profile, spherical MX keycap type that is actually comfortable to type on, while remaining beautiful.

I'm sorry for asking, if this is the first time of its kind to go on production, how can you be so sure that this set is actually  comfortable to type on?

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 09:43:41 »

I'm sorry for asking, if this is the first time of its kind to go on production, how can you be so sure that this set is actually  comfortable to type on?

I'm guessing you missed this blurb from MD about the keyset:

Our CAD expert, Tom “photekq” Radley, is not only incredibly talented with Solidworks but he is also a member of community. His understanding and love for mechanical keyboards were crucial in designing this set and I’m grateful he accepted to be part of this project.

So if there's anyone's word to take on this keyset it would be his or matt3o's  ^-^

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 09:59:37 »

Our CAD expert, Tom “photekq” Radley, is not only incredibly talented with Solidworks but he is also a member of community. His understanding and love for mechanical keyboards were crucial in designing this set and I’m grateful he accepted to be part of this project.

So if there's anyone's word to take on this keyset it would be his or matt3o's  ^-^

I mean that's fair, but I don't think anyone can say with certainty at this point that they're absolutely comfortable to type on- besides the handful of people who have actually 3D printed versions of them- and even then.

Just because Matt3o and photekq know their stuff doesn't mean their tastes will correlate with everyone else.

That being said, I'm sure they're nice and that's why I plan to buy a few kits.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 10:16:36 »

I mean that's fair, but I don't think anyone can say with certainty at this point that they're absolutely comfortable to type on- besides the handful of people who have actually 3D printed versions of them- and even then.

Just because Matt3o and photekq know their stuff doesn't mean their tastes will correlate with everyone else.

If the names of matt30 and photekq aren't enough to convince you, nothing will.
You'll just have to see for yourself.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 09:15:32 »
You guys did a horrible job of NOT convincing me to get this set.. had to join on the last day! yeeeyeeeyee

Almost forgot to get the WinKeyLess set for my LZ CLS, ooo

Offline dantan

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 09:28:33 »
You guys did a horrible job of NOT convincing me to get this set.. had to join on the last day! yeeeyeeeyee

Thanks to this set, now I'm bankrupt and in need of money again...

Probably going to put up stuff for sale again...  :(

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 10:41:10 »

Thanks to this set, now I'm bankrupt and in need of money again...

Probably going to put up stuff for sale again...  :(

They won't charge you until MD runs it, GO SPEND MOAR!! muhaha

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 10:43:31 »

I totally forgot. :eek:

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 10:44:52 »

I totally forgot. :eek:

DO IT RAY, always remember "FOMO" :D

Offline dantan

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 11:43:17 »
They won't charge you until MD runs it, GO SPEND MOAR!! muhaha

And why will MD not run it? You think something like this could possibly not meet MOQ? No way, even the most obscure layouts they offer are going into the second tier of pricing!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 12:01:30 »
This set is VERY expensive.

Offline dantan

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 22:32:04 »

Don't expect people to be rational when it comes to keyboard related stuff.

I've had lots of lowball offers for my SA keycaps now. Unused, untouched, new, and no one wants to pay a reasonable price and get a set right away. But they'll happily spend $200-$300 and wait six months.

I've even seen someone try to sell his SA set for $650 a few months ago. I haven't seen an ad like that ever since so I guess it was sold.

Anything that's 'rare', kids will jump on it like precious jewels or something.

Would like to see the look on their faces when a Chinese maker gets into the act and prices come down by 70% next year. But I'm sure the kids will find something else new to go crazy for. Maybe XYZ profile, where the front row is an inch higher than the last row. Somebody will justify that as excellent ergonomics, lots of kids go crazy, and we get another $300, wait six months group buy before people tire of XYZ profile.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 04:41:13 »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 04:51:31 »

Don't expect people to be rational when it comes to keyboard related stuff.

I've had lots of lowball offers for my SA keycaps now. Unused, untouched, new, and no one wants to pay a reasonable price and get a set right away. But they'll happily spend $200-$300 and wait six months.

I've even seen someone try to sell his SA set for $650 a few months ago. I haven't seen an ad like that ever since so I guess it was sold.

Anything that's 'rare', kids will jump on it like precious jewels or something.

Would like to see the look on their faces when a Chinese maker gets into the act and prices come down by 70% next year. But I'm sure the kids will find something else new to go crazy for. Maybe XYZ profile, where the front row is an inch higher than the last row. Somebody will justify that as excellent ergonomics, lots of kids go crazy, and we get another $300, wait six months group buy before people tire of XYZ profile.

I hesitated... the set as I wanted it would've been 165. I didn't buy. I like it very much, I think it's beautiful. But there's so many projects / ideas going around that I need to allocate money for that I couldn't. Unfortanately. I really would like the set. *Sigg* Making choices right.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 15:56:25 »
AND NOW WE WAIT UNTIL Q4 2017!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 11:17:35 »
I ended up missing the deadline so if any of you chumps decide you don't want these later let me know.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 11:26:33 »
I ended up missing the deadline so if any of you chumps decide you don't want these later let me know.

I don't really like the colors so I was planning on reselling all along. Just want to try out the profile. But if I *really* like it, that might override the color thing at least until they drop one with colors I like more.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 13:55:39 »

If the names of matt30 and photekq aren't enough to convince you, nothing will.
You'll just have to see for yourself.

Damn! I had no idea that photekq is a CAD wizard. Love the new curves of the MT3 caps :thumb:

Offline SL89

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 14:14:26 »

im in the same boat

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 18:06:12 »
Same.

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #50 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 02:47:16 »
If anyone doesn't want their order anymore, I'd be interested.

Offline JP

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 18:57:16 »
Missed the deadline as well.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 05:29:31 »
And they are shipping full sets.. just a matter of days now.
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]