Author Topic: Cherry MX Black aren't THAT Bad  (Read 10026 times)

Offline typo

Re: Cherry MX Black aren't THAT Bad
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 04:28:59 »
I actually used to quite fancy them when I was a stronger, younger man.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 08:56:21 »
They really aren't as bad as everybody makes them out to be. I'd much rather type on blacks than any of the more popular cherries (reds, blues, browns).

With the exception of browns, I would not. To each their own.

Offline bliss

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 09:09:46 »
Cherry MX can be wildly inconsistent between batches. Some are really smooth, others feel like they have dirt in them.
+1

I have two boards with MX Black, one with older but not 'vintage' switches, and one made last year. The newer switches seem to be of the retooled variant though since they are much smoother and with less spring noise, to the point where it feels like a different switch entirely.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 11:33:33 »
I never liked stock Cherry MX Blacks, but I respect them in the roles they were often given. Such as vending machine buttons.

They make sense there, because you want a definite and sustained keypress if you are purchasing an item using one button. [Kind of like how MX Clear makes sense on gas station pumps or alarm systems]. Maybe cash registers too.

Lubed vintage blacks at a meetup actually felt like something you could type with. Caused me to get a few H1 samples. They're actually not bad in stock form. I'm trying to type with the small amt I have, but it turns out they are best for platform gaming. An unexpected surprise.

Anyway, the best use of MX Blacks for me is maybe using their springs in what used to be called "Panda Clears" in this board.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 12:18:27 »
I never liked stock Cherry MX Blacks, but I respect them in the roles they were often given. Such as vending machine buttons.

They make sense there, because you want a definite and sustained keypress if you are purchasing an item using one button. [Kind of like how MX Clear makes sense on gas station pumps or alarm systems]. Maybe cash registers too.

Lubed vintage blacks at a meetup actually felt like something you could type with. Caused me to get a few H1 samples. They're actually not bad in stock form. I'm trying to type with the small amt I have, but it turns out they are best for platform gaming. An unexpected surprise.

Anyway, the best use of MX Blacks for me is maybe using their springs in what used to be called "Panda Clears" in this board.

Do they really use clears in gas station pumps? I can distinctly remember a few recent keypads I used that felt ... unusual, and now that you've said that I could very easily see them having been MX clears.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 12:51:33 »
It's just something I heard about from other forums. People say they recognized MX Clears in use at some gas stations. Like you, I think I once used a keypad at one that felt like Clears. But it's hearsay AFAIK.