Author Topic: Keyboard Paradise V60 Review - Blue + Clear's - Overall: Bad  (Read 3497 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Keyboard Paradise V60 Review - Blue + Clear's - Overall: Bad
« on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 04:55:18 »
TL;DR: Let down, cherry stabilisers SUCK, the leds are BEAUTIFUL, the keyboards need A LOT of mods, verdict: DON'T BUY

I went to the customs today, normally the process takes some time, yet when the officer inspected the keyboard, things went pretty quick, at that moment I knew something was wrong

Initially, the keyboards are TOO LIGHT, there is no bulk, compared to WASD V2's they are feathers (I know it's not an entirely fair comparison, but I will compare them anyway)

I tested the clear one first, cherry stabilisers stood out pretty easily, they were unusable by my standards, the clear switches also felt extremely light, even lighter than my red's with o-rings, I checked the switches to make sure, they weren't browns ...

The blue keyboard is just ... I mean ... How can blue switches not click? they just don't click, how is it even possible? it is. it's not sound dynamics either, they are like the non-clicky versions of the white switches, they just don't click, especially the balanced ones just stay silent, compared to them, my green switched keyboard is a thunderstorm (also compared to a chinese leopold blue switched numpad, these blue switches are still very silent, I thought the cherry stabs on the numpad was bad, compared to these cherry stabs, the numpad ones are actually pretty usable)

Compared to WASD V2's, these keyboards are extremely flimsy

I've opened up the clear switched keyboard, it wasn't easy to open up, I had to remove 2 feets to get to the screws, that is always disturbing, I will remove the cherry stabs and install costar ones, good thing I have an excess amount of stabiliser parts as spares, I will probably have to use all of them

I decided to mod and try to use the clear one myself and mod and gift the blue one to my brother, I can't even gift them without even modding them, I can't condemn another person to such painful faults

(I might re-visit and improve this review later on, add some pictures, remove some of the frustration etc., yet the verdict remains, you can't just buy and use these keyboards, the PCB is also pretty hard to de-solder, as it seems, I thought my WASD V2's were imperfect, yet compared to these keyboards, the WASD's are masterpiece's)
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 April 2015, 04:59:18 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline KHAANNN

Re: Keyboard Paradise V60 Review - Blue + Clear's - Overall: Bad
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 16:36:40 »
Woke up early to mod the V60, the mods went well, I would rate the keyboard 2/10 in terms of re-solderability, I thought I had decent soldering skills, but I had to seriously up my game to handle the SMD-level PCB, it was extremely hard, 5 switches took ~3 hours to complete, the leds were especially hard, I had to use the soldering/sculpturing tools I had and thought I would never use, I ended up pushing the leds while the solder is liquid, the solder was almost impossible to remove

Tested the keyboard before re-soldering, the leds and switches worked even in that state, so that was satisfying (the only casualty was a single led solder point, it got removed, however it didn't affect the functionality)

I clipped the cherry stabs, which turned them into wannabe but can't be costar's, they are very usable now, the spacebar is pretty stiff, the tactile feedback can't be felt properly on all the stabilised keys, yet they are usable

I gifted the blue one to my brother, had a chance to test it a bit more, he wasn't that bothered with the cherry stabs, I told him I can mod his keyboard too, the cherry stabs are so stiff that they prevent the clicking of the blue switch, but after my initial experience, it would be pretty easy to perfect the blue board, replace the spacebar switch, clip the stabs, but as it is, it's not that bad

The ping: When you knock on the plate, it doesn't ping, so the V60 has a non-pingy plate, yet the clear switches ping like crazy, and it's impossible to desolder the entire board for me, so I deem V60 to be pingy, as clears are pingy, I modded the switches I removed, however the remaining ones are still pingy, the ping can be heard even in a room with some background noise, if you're listening for it that is, otherwise, the clears produce a very satisfying thock

I also filled the board with putty and unused coins, it added a pretty nice bulk, even with the bulk, it's able to slide of the desk, without the bulk, it was pretty much like a roller skate

The Leds: The leds are beautiful, yet in my opinion, they are unnecessary and confusing, it feels like they might even cause some eyesight issues in the long run, as they draw focus from monitor to the keyboard

The Experiment: I tried installing costar stabs, however as it is, it was impossible, it seems possible, yet when you actually try it it's not, the stab area needs to be slightly enlarged, even in that case, the costar stabs would be wobbly, so don't even attempt it, the clipped cherry stabs were satisfying enough, I didn't push my luck

Overall: If you have modding skills and not very serious about the purchase, go ahead, you can make it work, but the V60's weren't the perfect keyboards I was expecting them to be, cherry stabs ruined the game, the default keycaps are pretty, yet without the leds their contrast is low, with the leds the keyboard is distracting, I also don't want to put on pretty keycaps just yet, as the leds bring out the very functional function layer, I won't memorize them as it would be a waste of muscle memmory, and I need to see them, so It's default keycaps for the V60, with leds on, If you're going to buy the V60, buy it to use it with it's default keycaps, otherwise buy something else, something with costar stabs if possible

Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 16:37:22 »
reserved for modding/pcb/case photos

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 08:53:14 »
Really sucks to hear this. I just ordered a v60 Mini with clears as a cheaper backlit base board to play around with - going to house it in a 60% Tex aluminium case so hopefully that helps with the weight issue. Your issue with the switches themselves concerns me though.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 09:07:54 »
It should concern you regardless of the manufacturer, there are a lot of low-quality Cherry's around, especially an issue with MX Blue's

Other than that, don't worry too much, it's a really nice keyboard, I spent a month with this keyboard, loved it

If I opened/lubed it, I could have even settled with it, but the ping is strong with stock keyboards, and it's not easy to desolder this keyboard for modding

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 13:07:39 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2015, 08:51:54 by dante »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 13:33:02 »
This was 6 months ago mon, if you get this tired, it might be a good idea to distance yourself from this hobby a bit :) (really hate hysteria myself)

This was a temporary keyboard for me, a very good one at that, after modding the cherry stabs, I filled the case with coins to add heft (plastic putty to hold them in place, paper for insulation), turned out awesome, the case is huge in terms of free space - didn't get a chance to update the review tho

I actually hated backlighting before this keyboard, got this keyboard because of the dedicated arrow feature, really liked backlighting/usage

A V60MTS sounds great tho, if I was in US I would probably get one just to see how alps are, not worth a customs hassle tho

Offline Magna224

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 06:35:43 »
So tired of "this keyboards sucks!  It doesn't weigh as much as a brick!" 

Everyone with a HHKB: Throw it out!  It's light therefore it sucks!

Once upon a time someone used to glue weights in their keyboards around here. Weight really helps a lot for the feel of keyboard. It's part of the reason I usually get a metal case for my keyboards if its reasonable. These light weight 60% feel like a piece of tupperware compared to one with an aluminum case.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline ika

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 06:46:57 »
I have a V60 with blues and I actually have the opposite problem - they're HYPER clicky. Between the steel plate and undampened expansive case, each keypress resonates - a LOT. And it's not a good sounding resonance either, it's high pitched and hollow-sounding. I think this keyboard would benefit a lot from a heavy case, for acoustic dampening, and thick keycaps if you're using blues.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 07:11:33 »
@KHAANNN: Thanks for the assessment. I also prefer Costar-type stabilizers to Cherry stabilizers. I don't have a V60 with Cherry switches or LEDs, but I have a V60 with Matias Click switches, and I like it quite a lot.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 10:29:29 »
@KHAANNN: Thanks for the assessment. I also prefer Costar-type stabilizers to Cherry stabilizers. I don't have a V60 with Cherry switches or LEDs, but I have a V60 with Matias Click switches, and I like it quite a lot.

Np, I think I'm gonna get one of those too, mainly because I really really want to try Alps-type switches

While I was working on my custom 60%, I decided to use the V60 as my driver temporarily, after using modded keyboards, even though the V60 was slightly modded too, it felt like I was kicking a piano, the ping/resonance was unbearable

I'm guessing you have one with decent blues ika, my blue switched one was pretty much like an mx white keyboard, as most switches didn't click and some clicked weakly
Apart from obsessiveness, it should be a nice keyboard to use tho, like you mentioned, hyper clicks are unbearable (I abandoned clicky mx's, in theory they are great but the practicality was always a headache for me)