Author Topic: So You're Interested in Topre...  (Read 5087 times)

Offline chive_

So You're Interested in Topre...
« on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 12:46:08 »
Like most newer members, I have always been interested in Topre keyboard. My first keyboard was a Poker II with MX Clears, but I always had this odd sense that the tactile click was just too much like a typewriter for me. It was infinitely better than a rubber dome, but I felt like Topre would be the best combination of tactility and sound.

I took the dive recently and got myself a white blank HHKB. I figured there's no point posting pictures or anything, since you've all probably seen one before, and a quick google search would find you a picture much better than one I could ever take.

Anyway, I have only enjoyed the board so far. It's light, which means transporting it to and from work is easy and the layout took very little time to get used to. I had never used blank keycaps before, but I adjusted to the board very quickly.

As for the switch itself, it's essentially a linear switch, similar to MX Reds, but with a tactile bump. The sound is great, no one in my office has complained about the keyboard yet. I am glad I didn't go and but the Type-S because the stock HHKB is perfect for me.

The weighting of the switches is the only thing I am considering changing. A 55g mod is very popular around here, but it definitely costs more money. I might try it out eventually, but for right now I would say the 45g switches on the board right now are perfectly fine for me.

The only negative for me is the price. It's not that I regret spending the money, in fact I'm super happy I made the jump, but the initial price of getting into Topre makes people hesitate purchasing a board. To that, I would say that if you end up not liking it, you can sell it on the marketplace for almost as much as you bought it. Sure, there are some shipping charges involved, but I think it's worth it to try the board out.

If you guys have any questions or have been hesitant about Topre, feel free to ask me anything! I feel like I could give a good perspective on what it's like to go from Cherry switches to Topre for the first time.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: So You're Interested in Topre...
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 20:07:45 »
Which operating system are you using the HHKB with?

I tried mine under Windows, but missed the arrow keys far too much.

I tend to use mine under Mac, where I can use Ctrl sequences to move to beginning of line, end of line and so on.  Much easier.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chive_

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 00:17:49 »

I tend to use mine under Mac, where I can use Ctrl sequences to move to beginning of line, end of line and so on.  Much easier.

I use Windows and Linux, but I've been used to using the Fn + whatever set of keys for the arrows since I started out in mechs with the poker. The one thing that is a bit annoying is that the media keys don't work with the HHKB and Windows, I can't turn the volume up and down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 00:50:02 »

I use Windows and Linux, but I've been used to using the Fn + whatever set of keys for the arrows since I started out in mechs with the poker. The one thing that is a bit annoying is that the media keys don't work with the HHKB and Windows, I can't turn the volume up and down.

Ah, that would explain a lot.  I am a child of keyboards with arrows.  Er, that sounds odd :))

Apparently the media keys only work with Mac.  Maybe.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 01:06:20 »
Ah, that would explain a lot.  I am a child of keyboards with arrows.  Er, that sounds odd :))

Maybe with the release of Windows 10 media keys shall be recognized by any keyboard that's connected  :p .

Microsoft's X6 keyboard works perfectly within Windows 7 and 8 with no troubles including the volume, launching email or any other app from that keyboard.

Offline chive_

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 10:32:44 »

Maybe with the release of Windows 10 media keys shall be recognized by any keyboard that's connected  :p .

Microsoft's X6 keyboard works perfectly within Windows 7 and 8 with no troubles including the volume, launching email or any other app from that keyboard.
My Poker II worked with with volume adjustment. Hopefully Windows 10 fixes those problems!

Offline yomammary

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 07:23:40 »
I got Hasu's BT controller and the media keys work great with Windows 8.1  :p
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline chive_

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 22:16:04 »
I got Hasu's BT controller and the media keys work great with Windows 8.1  :p

Yea, thinking about saving up for one of those...

Offline invisuu

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 02:06:40 »
Just a word of warning; if you plan on carrying the board to work and home every day that's 4 plug/unplug cycles daily minimum. The USB plug on HHKB has low design life; ticks in at about 3000 cycles. You'll burn through it in a couple of years.

That said, it's easily replaceable if you don't have two left hands.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 07:16:09 »
Just a word of warning; if you plan on carrying the board to work and home every day that's 4 plug/unplug cycles daily minimum. The USB plug on HHKB has low design life; ticks in at about 3000 cycles. You'll burn through it in a couple of years.

That said, it's easily replaceable if you don't have two left hands.

Mini-B is actually rated for 5000 cycles. Original Mini (which the HHKB plug is not) was rated for 1500 cycles.

5000 puts it closer to 5 years, but still, valid point. Could last much longer, could be shorter. YMMV

Of course, replacing the controller also replaces the plug, so something else to factor in. And can always solder in a new plug when it wears out. And if the pin layout is the same, when that happens, can put in the higher rated 10000 cycle Micro USB, or USB-C.

Just some food for thought when traveling regularly with a keyboard :)

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Sniping

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 22:00:59 »
There's an easy fix to the life cycle issue with constantly moving your HHKB around. Just buy a short mini usb male to female cable. If you "permanently" plug this cable into the HHKB, then all the plugging and unplugging will only wear down the female end of the mini usb-mini usb cable. It's a cheap investment that saves a lot of potential headaches for the future. I think it was Zeal who had his connector die on his HHKB from testing all dem custom cables.