Author Topic: CM Storm QFR & CM Storm Recon [Double Review!]  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Inception

CM Storm QFR & CM Storm Recon [Double Review!]
« on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 20:07:06 »
After a mental battle with myself of which products to get... I eventually decided to go with my original choice of the CM Storm QFR and also get a CM Storm Recon, because I needed a new mouse anyways. This topic is my reviews for both of the mentioned products.

CM Storm Recon
I am starting with the Recon because out of the two products, it is the product I have owned and used for the most amount of time. When this product arrived, and when I took it out of the packaging, I immediately knew that this mouse was going to last me quite a while. Upon plugging the product in, you will immediately notice that the product has very radiant lights, though I will admit if you work in an environment that gets a lot of sunlight, as per any LED lit product (I think), it will not be ideal. The mouse works out of the box and is "plug-and-play", however, you can optionally download the software from Cooler Master's website to give this mouse its full potential (I highly recommend you use this software if you own this mouse). The software features complete customization over the sensor,  with the ability to tweak things from DPI to LOD. The ability to choose from up to 256 colors for each individual LED light is also included, there is an LED in the scroll wheel, one in the two DPI switcher buttons, and one in the "CM Storm" logo at the base of the mouse, all of which can be set to separate colors (The full 256 colors are only achievable via an RGB color picker, which you will have to find online). The software also offers the ability to change any (with the exception that one button on the mouse must function as left click at any given moment) button on the mouse to anything you please, macros or advanced options such as changing volume and switching profiles on the mouse, of which you can have up to 4 at a time, not including the default profile, which is not editable (I think that with AutoHotkey, this mouse will unlock its full potential). I must note something about the software & firmware: it definitely isn't the most stable in the world. Even with the latest software and firmware updates installed, I have had many moments where the mouse would just "freak out" as I like to call it, as in... Well... It is really hard to explain, it just doesn't move right, it gets shaky and moves in ways that otherwise it wouldn't move in, usually opening the Recon Software to "program the mouse's memory" works, but sometimes I have to restart the computer to fix this problem (Another note: when on Cooler Master's website downloading the software, PLEASE also download the latest firmware update to go with it, otherwise you will have even more problems with this mouse). I have heard many people in reviews on YouTube complaining about the mouse's size, but honestly though, I don't understand why. This mouse is about the size of any mouse I've ever used, it isn't too big but it also isn't too small. One of the selling points Cooler Master mentions about this mouse is that it is ambidextrous, and I can definitely see how this would be a plus for a lot of you lefties out there. This mouse is extremely comfortable to hold, it has a rubberized finish, identical to the one on the QFR, I feel as if this somehow gives it a touch of "professionalism" (there's no actual word for it that actually matches how I'm using it... I don't think), however I will say that the rubberized finish seems to be somewhat of a dust magnet, I'm not sure but I am fairly sure that it is, but it may just be that whenever my hands are wet and dirty, the rubberized finish seems to make that dirt and grime very noticeable on my hands, not visibly, but by touch. There are four back and forward buttons on the mouse, one on each side, each of which can be changed to any macro you like, and therefore can function as pretty much anything if you use AutoHotKey! Another thing I feel I should mention about this mouse is the scroll wheel: The scroll wheel gets a bit squeaky after about 2-3 weeks of use. After looking for a bit online I have found out that this is perfectly normal, however, it was a bit annoying at first, but I assure you, you get used to it, if you can't, there is an easy fix somewhere on GH (Though for me I don't think it is worth voiding my 2 year warranty for). Overall I give this product a solid 4/5, I use this mouse as my primary driver and it definitely does well at what I use it for, it has its minor annoyances but if you can overlook them then I definitely think this mouse can serve you well for years to come, well beyond its warranty expiration.

CM Storm QuickFire Rapid
I actually just got this product on the 4th of this month, and since it is the 13th now it really doesn't leave me with much experience... However... I feel I do have enough to review it, you really don't need much with this one, you just know. This product was on back-order for the longest time, and when I finally got it on the 4th I was extremely happy, upon taking it from the hands of the UPS guy though, the first thing that really struck me was the weight of the thing. I mean obviously it isn't hard to carry but it is very heavy for a keyboard, at least for any I have ever held. Apparently weighing in at 4 pounds, I think it has something to do with the steel back plate behind the keys. I ordered my QFR in the Cherry MX Blue variant, and I think I have made an excellent choice. They are very clicky and very tactile, and I love typing on these. I have seen people on here say that the clicking gets annoying, but honestly I don't think it will, it definitely isn't as loud as I thought it was going to me, and honestly, I think the volume is just a little higher than my old (****ty) rubber dome keyboard when I type over 100 wpm on it. I guess you could argue that the volume on the Cherry Blues remains consistent, regardless of how fast you type, while on rubber domes or perhaps quieter switches can be silenced by typing slower, which I wouldn't argue against. The keyboard comes with a plastic key cap puller and some replacement keys, two for each "Win" key and four for WASD (the W I received was a little distorted on the up arrow... Does anyone know if it is possible to get a replacement, it is the soul reason I am not using these four keys) The keyboard has the same rubberized finish as the CM Storm Recon all around the entire case, and big rubber feet (holders?) on the bottom to keep it in place while you type, even on my slippery uneven wood surface desk, I find it very efficient in doing its job. The keyboard also has two (also) "feet" which can be used to tilt the board upwards, they have a grip on the bottom of them as well, and they definitely don't feel as if they are going to break off like my old rubber dome's feet did. I personally don't use those two feet because I find that the incline the board is at without them is enough. The key caps on this board aren't the best, as a lot of people here on GH were telling me, I obviously haven't seen any wear yet on them but I have noticed a bit of a rattling (Albeit not as much as I did on my old rubber dome... Shivers) in the space bar which I am confident I can blame on the key caps. Because of the fact that I decided to spend the money that I was going to use for key caps on the CM Storm Recon however, I am stuck with these key caps for a little while. There a LED lights on the board under each "lock" key which indicate whether they are switched on or not, if these lights are on the switch is on, if they are off, the switch is off (should be obvious). Honestly I think that if somebody weren't a touch typist they might find these lights a bit distracting, they are a bit too bright for my taste, and even though they are just lock indicators I do wish there were some way to turn the intensity of them down a bit. Among the scroll lock and caps lock keys, there is also a Windows lock key, which can be toggled on by holding down Fn and pressing F9, when this is switched on it disables the Win keys, I actually use this rather often when "playing" The Powder Toy in fullscreen mode. F5-F12 also function as media keys which can be accessed by holding down Fn and pressing the corresponding key. Overall I give this product a 5/5, honestly the gripes I have with this keyboard are minor to the point where they don't bother me even one bit, I think I made an excellent choice buying both products.

If you read through the whole review of both products, thanks, if not and you just skimmed your way through down to here, well, congratulations. There are my reviews... Bye!  :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2015, 20:56:17 by Inception »
-CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Cherry MX Blues

Offline Kad

• Δ E S T H E T I C S
Re: CM Storm QFR & CM Storm Recon [Double Review!]
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 20:01:49 »
-snip-

Great review! One thing that I saw as a complaint in some reviews and in a video was that the switch quality was questionable and not all the switches felt the same. Is this something you noticed because it is seriously keeping me from wanting to buy it where otherwise I'd probably just go for it. Thanks!

[WASD v2 w/ MX Blues]