Author Topic: Can i make my keyboard hot swappable  (Read 12372 times)

Offline Findecanor

Re: Can i make my keyboard hot swappable
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 00:35:29 »
If and only if the size of the holes for the switches is the right size for Holtite or Mill-Max sockets, then you could solder sockets into the holes, and the switches will be hot-swappable in them.

You could find those sockets at some sites that have keyboard parts, such as where you would buy switches.
If you buy the sockets from an electronics components store (such as Mouser) the type of Holtite is 8134-HC-8P2.

Then please tell here afterwards.  There is a list here with keyboards that are known to fit, or not fit Holtite sockets. The Satan-Pad is not on that list yet but anyone could update it once it someone has tried.

Offline ThEnhanted

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 04:19:44 »
If it doesn't say 'Kailh hotswap compatible' assume it isn't, the plastic sockets need even bigger holes than the Mill-Max and if a PCB has big holes and the seller says so they'll sell more and that's what they want, so that's what they do.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 08:19:07 »
is dis' guy a bot ?

Maybe, or maybe he(?) just doesn't speak good English.  Were both links to the same seller I'd be more suspicious, also no dodgy links in signature or profile so what's the point in making the account?  These are what I was talking about in your thread...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 10:11:33 »
is dis' guy a bot ?

Maybe, or maybe he(?) just doesn't speak good English.  Were both links to the same seller I'd be more suspicious, also no dodgy links in signature or profile so what's the point in making the account?  These are what I was talking about in your thread...

Public pledge, all Tp4 links are wholesome and healthy part of a balanced breakfast.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 10:46:36 »
But i'm talking about Kailh hot swapping PCB sockets.
No you weren't. Your question was generic about hot-swapping, with no mention of Kailh sockets specifically.

Circuit boards have to be made especially for Kailh sockets to be able to fit them, with special soldering pads and extra-large holes for the sockets to go through.
As there is only one set of pins on this board - for regular switch pins to be soldered into, Kailh sockets are not an option.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 November 2019, 12:38:20 by Findecanor »

Offline ThEnhanted

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 04:32:57 »
is dis' guy a bot ?

Public pledge, all Tp4 links are wholesome and healthy part of a balanced breakfast.

Sorry for my bad english, I don't know other sites for the purchase of this keyboard and the normal parts for it.
If you can support, then leave links for sites where you can purchase parts and keyboards.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 06:30:39 »
Not your fault there are bots, your English is much better than my Latvian!

There are not many DIY numberpads and there are not many kailh hotswap PCBs, I have never seen a kailh hotswap numberpad (I haven't been looking for one so doesn't mean there are none)  If you already have the satan pad the holtites fin suggested are a good option, if they fit.

Just had a look and found this one but it's out of stock...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ThEnhanted

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 07:56:51 »
Not your fault there are bots, your English is much better than my Latvian!

There are not many DIY numberpads and there are not many kailh hotswap PCBs, I have never seen a kailh hotswap numberpad (I haven't been looking for one so doesn't mean there are none)  If you already have the satan pad the holtites fin suggested are a good option, if they fit.

Just had a look and found this one but it's out of stock...
I mean Liks to websites like KPRepublic and KBDFanswere i can buy Parts to Hot-Swap and Others (Like o-rings).
P.S. Thanks for your support.