Author Topic: Seeking kb selection advice  (Read 1453 times)

Offline dwasifar

Seeking kb selection advice
« on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 21:00:45 »
I've got two original Model M's and two Unicomps, a Das with browns, a Cherry with blues, and a cheap-ass no-name China board with knockoff blues that's already failing.

I really prefer the Model M experience.  None of the others really measure up for me.  But my work went to an open office plan, and an M is too large and too loud for the close quarters of my new workspace.  That's why I have the two with blue switches.  I've been trying to get acclimated to them over the last few months, but they just feel too light.  I know no modern switch is going to duplicate the buckling spring feel, but I still feel like there must be something that would be a better fit. 

So I figure before I spend more money, I'll ask you guys what you recommend.

This is my office keyboard - all typing, no gaming.  I'm a reasonably fast touch typist with a heavy touch.  Tactile is a must.  Clicky is optional; I prefer it, but I polled my coworkers today and they say even the blues are a little annoying.  My gut is to go with a TKL layout, because I'm a coder and I use the arrow keys a lot, but I might be talked into trying a 70% layout.  No smaller, though; I'm not ready to forgo the Fkeys.  I don't have any problems switching between a laptop and full size keyboards, so I guess I could probably adapt to relocated arrow keys. I prefer PBT keycaps over ABS (who doesn't?).   I do not care about backlighting at all.  Let's put a $200 budget on it to start and you can tell me if that's too low.

So with those qualifications in mind, what is your recommendation?  I'm open to any brand.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Seeking kb selection advice
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:22:11 »
This is a very low tech device.

All flat boards are more/less the same,

Nothing will WOW you. it's a keyboard.

The only tangible improvement comes from split tenting boards, in terms of ergonomics.

But in truth, you spend more time on thinking and procrastinating than you do actual typing.

So.. it really comes down to what you perceive is UP.

More Ergonomic, Get split tentable keyboard.

More Decorative, Get aluminum custom, and more cap-sets.

Layout makes very little difference in the long run. 

Offline dwasifar

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 00:24:47 »
All flat boards are more/less the same,

That has not been my experience so far. 

Nothing will WOW you. it's a keyboard.

I'm not asking to be wowed.  I just want something more comfortable for me than what I'm currently using.

The only tangible improvement comes from split tenting boards, in terms of ergonomics.

They have their merits.  I was an early adopter of split ergo boards during their first wave of popularity ~25 years ago.  Cured me of crossovers.  For a while I couldn't type on flat boards after getting used to split boards.  But the suggestion ignores my use case.  I'm in a tiny workspace now.  I need a smaller keyboard footprint, not one that sprawls out wider than my Model M's do.

But in truth, you spend more time on thinking and procrastinating than you do actual typing.

Then it must be the keyboard fairies coming along at night and wearing shiny spots on my keys.  ;)

So.. it really comes down to what you perceive is UP.

After careful consideration, I would say "toward the sky."   ;D

Offline jamster

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 00:32:08 »
Oddly enough, the closest I've found to the Model M experience in modern switches has been 55g Topre. Because it has such a pronounced force collapse point in the stroke. Dental banded, this collapse point becomes too muted to be comparable to the BS experience, it's got to be stock. Anything with linear springs feels nothing like BS to me.

My comparison boards/switches are in my sig.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2019, 00:33:54 by jamster »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 00:39:19 »
Dampened Alps.
You can try an real Matias (don't buy anything with Matias but a Matias board is what I've heard), find an original dampened Alps board.

Could also do what I'm doing, take a KBParadise TKL and swap the Matias switches for Alps. Nice thing about this is it fits into Filco TKL aluminum housings.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline dwasifar

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 15:36:31 »
Dampened Alps.
You can try an real Matias (don't buy anything with Matias but a Matias board is what I've heard), find an original dampened Alps board.

Could also do what I'm doing, take a KBParadise TKL and swap the Matias switches for Alps. Nice thing about this is it fits into Filco TKL aluminum housings.
That actually sounds like a fun project.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 18:13:24 »
A 200 dollar budget is a good budget, but it's more of an upper class budget.

Personally, the Corsair K63 has not failed me, however it does have very short battery life. I cannot describe in words how much i love this keyboard. It has genuine cherry mx red switches which are a great gaming switch, however can be a ok typing switch as they tend to double tap if you have shaky fingers, causing typos.

It has a bottom out of about 50Cn and a press of about 45 Cn.

Offline jamster

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 23:12:37 »
A 200 dollar budget is a good budget, but it's more of an upper class budget.

Personally, the Corsair K63 has not failed me, however it does have very short battery life. I cannot describe in words how much i love this keyboard. It has genuine cherry mx red switches which are a great gaming switch, however can be a ok typing switch as they tend to double tap if you have shaky fingers, causing typos.

It has a bottom out of about 50Cn and a press of about 45 Cn.

That has something to do with the OP wanting a board that's similar to Model Ms and is only interested in typing and no gaming?