Author Topic: [IC] Disarray - Rotary/Handle. Stag+Ortho! Discipline-compatible. GB Aug 1  (Read 27850 times)

Offline mujimanic

Hi Folks! I'm Mujimanic, owner of Sneakbox Design
My previous projects include the Butterknife (in partnership with G Heavy Industries) and Prime_Elise (in conjunction with Prime Keyboards). Since I made a layered case Discipline65 with a handle , I've wanted to scale up the project in way that would be sustainable for me but also offer some improvements I felt would better complement the FM Radio aesthetic afforded by combining a Discipline65 with a handled case. To accomplish what I wanted I had to make a completely new PCB.

245301-0

I present to you Disarray.
GB moved up to August 1, 2020

Link to my Discord server for updates and support: https://discord.gg/77d4hDq
Group buy goes live Aug 1 https://Sneakbox.Design
Interest Check Form: https://forms.gle/2DH9SXg2ewdd6cNE8

Prototype Pictures
247989-1247987-2
247991-3247995-4247993-5247997-6247999-7248001-8248003-9

Disarray is a 70% keyboard in the same PCB form factor of the Discipline65. It offers a rotary encoder with push-button support, as well as support for ISO, Shift-JIS, and Split Spacebars.

245287-10
245291-11
245295-12
245297-13

The keyboard contains a grip handle, and the overall layout is inspired by Braun products from the Dieter Rams era. The inspiration for the grip was based on my need to carry a keyboard around for the grab-and-go nature of my day job. In the grip, there is a notch to allow pass-through of a USB cable, however different from my original layered case, the notch has a wide trapezoidal-shaped chamfer for safety and comfort of holding. The case itself has a zero-degree typing angle, but planned to have threads to add an incline. The footing uses two custom silicone self-adhesive strips designed specifically for this case. There new component-view window, made of polycarbonate rather than acrylic, and is contour-chamfered to match the edges of the aluminum case. One simple indicator light. Brass switchplate with top-mount removal notches.

245289-14

The Disarray PCB is USB-C and QMK compatible. It utilizes surface-mount components, all pre-assembled onto the PCB and positioned in view through the polycarbonate window. While the Discipline65 uses through-hole components, I felt SMD components could be equally as beautiful if arranged in a similar windowed manner. However, owing to the small visual footprint of SMD components, I wanted to bring out the traces as best as I could.
As such, there will be two visual variants of the PCB: one standard option (cheaper) with traditional white solder mask, and one high-end option (more expensive) using black FR4 substrate and copper traces with clear solder mask. Unfortunately, black FR4 + clear solder mask combination is hard to come by and definitely costs more to produce.

PCB Variants

Disarray will come in both a staggered layout and an ortholinear layout

Here are the possible configurations for key layouts:

STAGGERED LAYOUT
248133-15

ORTHOLINEAR PCB LAYOUT
248023-16

In keeping with my desire to pay tribute to great existing designs from other creators in our community, the keyboard case will also accommodate a Discipline65 by CFTKB, and contains mounting holes for conventional tray layout for those who have existing Discipline65 builds, or alternatively a plate layout as is presented with the Disarray. The retrofit kit for Discipline uses the same Main body with handle, but exchanges the top bezel and polycarbonate window, and removes the rotary encoder.

Design Features
- T6 solid block aluminum CNC-machined enclosure, currently planned in uncolored anodized (silver aluminum color), black, AND RED, possibly dark blue if my supplier can do it reliably.
- Accommodates Disarray and Discipline 65 (using separate top bezel and polycarbonate window)
- Brass Plate (needs to be rigid material due to lack of plate anchors at the top side of PCB).
- Option to tray mount with 3mm standoffs , can be useful for existing Discipline65 builds.
- ZERO-degree typing angle. Plan to include thread for feet
- Disarray cheaper PCB in basic White solder mask, upscale option for FR4 with visible traces and clear soldermask for significant price premium.

Weight:
- Disarray case (2.1 lbs/924g), no plate
- Discipline retrofit complete case (1.95 lbs/888g), no plate
- Discipline retrofit bezel and window alone (0.25 lbs/113g)
- Brass switchplate (0.35 lbs/158g)
- PCB (0.27 lbs/121g)

Group Buy Details
GB Starts: August 1, 2020 @ 9pm CST
GB Ends: Sept 5, 2020 @ 9pm CST.
Est. shipping: Q1 2021 (Feb-Mar). Disclaimer: shipping date subject to change.

Group buy items are non-refundable. Cancellations not accepted.

At closing of Group Buy, bulk order will be sent to manufacturer.
Order will be shipped to me for inspection/QC. Depending on quality inspection, this may be a source of delay in shipment.
Shipment to purchasers will be issued once QC is completed.

Options offered for sale:
- Full Disarray Case, Top Bezel, Polycarb Window, Main Housing, Rotary knob, brass plate, silicone feet, case screws ($350 USD, no PCB)
- Colors: Black anodized, Silver, Red. Looking into dark blue.
- Each case will come with a 2mm custom cut EVA foam backing for under the PCB. I have to add this as some of the PCBs come bowed from the manufacturer, and this ensures that no pins contact the metal keyboard housing. This EVA foam is sized to match both Disarray and Discipline.
- Option for brass rotary knob (instead of aluminum) for $15 extra
- Full Discipline Case, Top Discipline bezel, Discipline Polycarb Window, Main Housing, brass plate, silicone feet, case screws ($350 USD, no PCB)
- Staggered PCBs:
      - White Soldermask with Silkscreen traces ($50)
      - Black Soldermask with Silkscreen traces ($50). Yes, It's back!
      - Limited edition Black FR4 with visible copper traces and clear soldermask ($120). So there is a MOC of 50 for the black FR4. Less than that I won't be able to produce it at any price. Even at that price I'm actually subsidizing the production of the copper trace board and will be buying extras to drive the overall price down in the hope maybe I'll be able to sell any extras in the future.
- Ortholinear PCBs:
      - White Soldermask with Silkscreen traces ($50)
      - Black Soldermask with Silkscreen traces ($50)
      - There is no Black FR4 option-- not enough interest to make this happen, unfortunately :[

Mockup of the expected PCBs with silkscreen prints:
248003-17

Ortho PCB (not final product)
248025-18
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2020, 19:24:18 by mujimanic »

Offline Zeelobby

There we go. Was waiting for this to drop. Black +808-Boom plz.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
Very into it.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline apexshikari

Sweet. Quite a refreshing design. Love it :thumbs:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rejeckted

• Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum... I smell Kraft dinnah
Oh! This looks cool!

Offline MrPersePolis

Super Cool, I am in! 808-BOOM is the perfect keycap, Bellissima!
It would be super cool if LED's could be added to the portion of the PCB which is seen through the acrylic window and set them to respond to the whatever music is playing from the PC. Would it be feasible?

Offline i luv chuletas

It is finally unveiled!

Congrats brother, this one's a must have.

Offline riChip

Holy, didn't know I was waiting for this.... the style
Maybe I abuse the handle to use it as a mobile/tablet stand  :p

Offline riChip

'doulbe replied'

Offline grundlemere

This is REALLY cool. Need to get my hands on a Discipline now.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
Yes!! Been waiting for this. I’m so in for this . What I wouldn’t do for a red version

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Mekanist

• Archetype
Ah this is awesome. I might need to get this for my incoming discipline.  :thumb:

Offline Glueeater

Looks amazing - hoping there might be a polycarb option!

Offline sl4ppy

I'm in.

Offline limenx

• limenx#9145
Love the look of the visible copper traces. Does the Disarray PCB have VIA support?

glwgb

Offline mujimanic

Love the look of the visible copper traces. Does the Disarray PCB have VIA support?

glwgb

That's the plan.
I should have VIA up and running by ship date.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Filled in the form.  I have a Discipline65 coming, but the disarray almost puts it to shame.  What a beauty, man.  Fantastic stuff.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2020, 23:53:56 by pixelpusher »

Offline mujimanic

Filled in the form.  I have a Discipline65 coming, but the disarrya build puts it to shame.  What a beauty, man.  Fantastic stuff.

But that's the fun of this idea, right? This way it's possible to have both!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Filled in the form.  I have a Discipline65 coming, but the disarrya build puts it to shame.  What a beauty, man.  Fantastic stuff.

But that's the fun of this idea, right? This way it's possible to have both!

Oh, I'm totally planning on it.

Offline beekey

A cheaper black PCB option would be great. Would buy one as safety, in case the expensive one breaks.

Offline mujimanic

A cheaper black PCB option would be great. Would buy one as safety, in case the expensive one breaks.

Noted. Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Swishy

So, I notice in the render at the beginning it used to be 65% with a knob why did you change, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline mujimanic

So, I notice in the render at the beginning it used to be 65% with a knob why did you change, if you don't mind me asking?

Well Discipline65 supports 68 inputs. Adding split backspace, split space, ISO keys, a push button on the rotary, then filling in the gaps put Disarray at 73 inputs so technically it's a 70% as i don't think the percentage definition requires a defined switch function or arrangement to qualify.  Still the same overall layout of a conventional 65%. Honestly i don't know what percentage to call it. Sounded correct to call it by the max inputs possible.

As to why i added the extra inputs... Because i wanted to. Especially the split spacebars!
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 June 2020, 07:05:17 by mujimanic »

Offline syke

subbed

Offline Nyeezy

I’m in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mujimanic

Updated original post to include keyboard layout configurations.

Offline HODO

This is very unique and cute design!

If I can see RGB effects or any responsive light through the transparent window it will be much more awesome!!
is it possible?

Offline mujimanic

This is very unique and cute design!

If I can see RGB effects or any responsive light through the transparent window it will be much more awesome!!
is it possible?

I don't have any plans to support lighting apart from the single indicator.

Offline limenx

• limenx#9145
Are there any prototypes planned?

Offline mujimanic

Are there any prototypes planned?

I already made a polymer rapid proto

took pictures of it to show someone what it would be like to fit a phone in the handle gap (long and short it works, if you want to use it for a typing stand you may be limited in phone positions due to the USB cable position)
http://imgur.com/a/barhWXo
http://imgur.com/a/4viEqg6

Metal protos currently in manufacture
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 June 2020, 13:50:33 by mujimanic »

Offline limenx

• limenx#9145
Thank you for the pictures :thumb:

I like the idea of tray mount for discipline boards since I have one already built.

Offline beekey

This with a HHKB layout top.  :D

Offline rinkaan

hmm would you want to consider also adding an inbuild USB hub so ppl can plug their wireless mice to it? would look nice!

Offline alphabirth

This is great!  I thought I was done with boards for a while, but I don't know if I'll be able to stop myself on this one.  But woof--those PCBs are expensive. :(  Why so much?

Offline mujimanic

This is great!  I thought I was done with boards for a while, but I don't know if I'll be able to stop myself on this one.  But woof--those PCBs are expensive. :(  Why so much?

Thanks!

The white PCB is pretty standard price for a PCB with SMD components assembled, I would think. However the black FR4 is the issue I'm working on. The main problem is that the black FR4 + clear soldermask isn't a combination that many manufacturers offer. I have a lead that may help drive the cost way down (on my end as well as the consumers), but I'm not confident about the build quality. Believe it or not with the current price quotation for black FR4 I'm actually losing money because of a required MOC on the black FR4. Yeah, it's a lot more complicated than I imagined it would be. The backup plan is the keep the black and copper trace option as a super premium option and open up a cheaper black solder mask with "emulated" trace lines using silkscreen. However, if I can get the price of the black+copper trace PCB down to about $10-$15 of the white I think that would help me keep only one option for black PCB.

Offline Shiro

this would look sexy in yellow ngl.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Damn, this actually p fire 😩✊

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Curious Yellow

The GB runner outlined that they're an unusual combination of things hence the expense.

Considering that a small PCB run from Oshpark runs into $100+ per PCB it looks like a decent-ish deal. Plus they've probably put some time into adapting the PCB to make it what they want to looks like and added a feature in terms of the rotary encoder so it feels like not too bad a price.

Offline alphabirth

Thanks!

The white PCB is pretty standard price for a PCB with SMD components assembled, I would think. However the black FR4 is the issue I'm working on. The main problem is that the black FR4 + clear soldermask isn't a combination that many manufacturers offer. I have a lead that may help drive the cost way down (on my end as well as the consumers), but I'm not confident about the build quality. Believe it or not with the current price quotation for black FR4 I'm actually losing money because of a required MOC on the black FR4. Yeah, it's a lot more complicated than I imagined it would be. The backup plan is the keep the black and copper trace option as a super premium option and open up a cheaper black solder mask with "emulated" trace lines using silkscreen. However, if I can get the price of the black+copper trace PCB down to about $10-$15 of the white I think that would help me keep only one option for black PCB.
🤞

The GB runner outlined that they're an unusual combination of things hence the expense.

Considering that a small PCB run from Oshpark runs into $100+ per PCB it looks like a decent-ish deal. Plus they've probably put some time into adapting the PCB to make it what they want to looks like and added a feature in terms of the rotary encoder so it feels like not too bad a price.

Yeah, OSHPark is really expensive too.  I've never figured out how they can get away charging so much, when JLCPCB is usually a fraction of the cost.  Just for the "Made in the USA" stamp I guess...

Offline zoo

• zoo
The skeuomorphism is strong in this one

Offline Curious Yellow

Would be nice to know shipping and taxes to the UK.

Offline Swishy

are there protos?

Offline mujimanic

Would be nice to know shipping and taxes to the UK.

Working on that. Will let you know

Offline mujimanic

are there protos?

Yes! Just got them in yesterday. I'll get some pics up. I won't have the rubber feet yet.

Offline Shiro

are there protos?

Yes! Just got them in yesterday. I'll get some pics up. I won't have the rubber feet yet.

👀 cant wait to see it.

Offline Arcen

This looks amazing! Any chance there can be a version without the handle?

Offline mujimanic

This looks amazing! Any chance there can be a version without the handle?

Not planning on a non-handled version. Project is getting logistically too big already. Maybe in the future!

Offline mujimanic

Ok. Sorry for the delay folks. Family health issues came up. I updated the original post with prototype pictures!

Offline mujimanic

Re: [IC] Disarray - Rotary + Handle. Discipline-compatible. GB Starts Aug 1
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 17:11:20 »
More info...
Added anodized Red case option.
Dark blue is still under review by my manufacturer

Disarray now is offered as an ortholinear PCB!

Offline weinzierl

Re: [IC] Disarray - Rotary/Handle. Stag+Ortho! Discipline-compatible. GB Aug 1
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 02:50:47 »
This is a real beauty, I love it. Are the components behind the window acutally used or are they just for show?